boden party hosting - yay or nay?

(20 Posts)
NewBallsPlease00 Tue 12-Jan-16 19:46:48

I'm thinking of hosting one (or applying to??!) having been to one it seemed pleasant enough - people call in, have a coffee / cake, look at stuff place order, leave
i get there is set up and stuff to do, but am I missing something? I know he commission is low, but seemed like a nice enough one off?
Anyone any experience? Ive searched on here but they're all ancient threads
thanks

NewBallsPlease00 Thu 14-Jan-16 14:50:39

Bump

burnishedsilver Thu 14-Jan-16 16:06:55

I was considering it last year. I didnt do it in the end. The thing that put me off most was the idea of having total strangers in my house. I would have had enought people in firends, neighbours and aquaintances without having to open it up to total randomers invited by Boden. Any threads that I could find on the subject suggested that there is more work in it than you'd think.

AFingerofFudge Thu 14-Jan-16 16:16:07

I've done a few, and I found them to be good fun, especially if you restrict it to people you know or friends of friends. I got a good enough crowd doing it that way, and you can opt out of having your details put on their website advertising it.
As long as you don't think of it as a money making exercise, then go for it. Although I don't buy a lot of Boden stuff, it was good fun with mates to try on all sorts of stuff that you'd never dream of buying, and occasionally finding something that looked amazing that you wouldn't have looked twice at.
I didn't find it hard work, all the rails and clothes arrive via a courier, you just unzip the bags, serve some tea and coffee (or wine and nibbles if it's an evening do) and off you go.

Back to the comission bit - when I first did a couple a few years ago, the offers that were available on the day were much better than you could get ordering with Boden, so lots of people ordered. The last time I did one which was a couple of years ago, loads of people went home and ordered at home as Boden do so many offers these days they were getting a better deal!

vindscreenviper Thu 14-Jan-16 16:21:00

I did a couple many years ago, I was asked if it could be open house and said no, set up was quite easy, just assemble the rails & hang stuff up. I really enjoyed the ones I did, I knew almost everyone (lots of people brought other friends & relatives), I served drinks & nibbles and just let people try stuff and chat amongst themselves without trying to sell them anything. Both times I made just over £800 but this was about 7-8 years ago when the quality was still good.
Do they still ask for photos of you and your house before allowing you to sell their stuff for them op?

Greengardenpixie Thu 14-Jan-16 16:46:18

wtf!!! Photos of your house?? Tell them to fuck off!!! That is outraggeous!! Do they only allow if you own a castle? In principle i would NEVER allow it on that basis alone!

burnishedsilver Thu 14-Jan-16 16:57:56

I dont think it's outrageous. If your room looks like this is probably not suitable even if it is in a castle.

Greengardenpixie Thu 14-Jan-16 19:10:27

What does it matter what your house looks like? I disagree! I dont remember Avon or any of these other types of buying parties having these kind of rules!
As for the picture above..thats rather extreme. Whats to stop you sending a fake picture, tidying it up etc. Its ridiculous! I doubt anyone would want to host a party if they live in that anway. If they are that bothered they shouldn't promote it. Its like hang on, do us a favour by selling our clothes oh but btw only if you meet this condition.

burnishedsilver Thu 14-Jan-16 19:23:20

It sounds like you have massive chip on your shoulder about something or other. I'll opt out. Perhaps take it up with Boden.

Monica101 Thu 14-Jan-16 19:44:43

My colleague does them - she has a very nice house. It's definitely part of the requirement of being a host. I daren't put myself forward for fear of being crushed with the rejection grin.

But yes I think it would be fun to host them and the party I went to her house was really fun. Everyone was very appreciative and polite to her.

vindscreenviper Thu 14-Jan-16 20:51:55

Are you going to go for it op?

NewBallsPlease00 Fri 15-Jan-16 08:16:35

Thanks all
There has been no mention of house assessing on initial info sent, I guess they could try and goggle street view it though I'm not sure that would tell them much round here! (Half area not on it, other half v old photos)
Think will ask for more info, reckon I can manage on friends and friends of friends only abd like you say not think of money, then if it was ok potentially do it again

NewBallsPlease00 Fri 15-Jan-16 08:17:03

Will report back and run if they ask for house photos

vindscreenviper Fri 15-Jan-16 11:20:28

They wanted photos of the rooms I would be using during the party NewBalls and also a pic of me (sent a pre-DC one of me looking glam rather than washed-out and tired!)
I wouldn't be surprised if they just judge you worthy by postcode/house price now grin

HortonWho Fri 15-Jan-16 12:50:03

looks like bloody hard work

So they just send you all those clothes? What kind of a deposit do you need to pay what if someone walks off with merchandise, spills wine on it?

vindscreenviper Fri 15-Jan-16 13:10:15

No deposit required, the clothes are usually not send straight from Boden, rather they do a 'round' of parties, so when the courier collects from you they are delivered to another party.
With both of my parties there were items missing when the bags were delivered, in one case about £300 rrp of bags & shoes! I phoned and pointed this out and was told not to worry so I guess they aren't bothered if stuff goes walkies.

burnishedsilver Fri 15-Jan-16 15:49:44

I thought the same Horton. It seems like a lot of work for not a huge amount of gain. She mentions getting lots and lots help. I wondered if this might cause a bit of friction - asking people to help with something that I'm getting paid for. Surely I'd have to split the proceeds.

I might do one in the future. The main reason I decided against it was that I thought that there wasn't an option to say no Boden inviting total strangers.

Greengardenpixie Fri 15-Jan-16 16:16:32

It sounds like you have massive chip on your shoulder about something or other. I'll opt out. Perhaps take it up with Boden.

Er no....Maybe its just me but i think its a disgrace. I have just ordered stuff for my dd from boden so no chip here! Maybe i'm the only one that seems to think it is so wrong to vet ones house before trying to sell some clothes for them confused

Greengardenpixie Fri 15-Jan-16 16:17:39

Oh and burnished, i am not trying to pick a fight or anything like that. So enough said. I say no more.

MaybeDoctor Fri 15-Jan-16 16:19:01

I have been to one and it was good - felt a bit shy going to a stranger's house - but I met a really nice lady in the host, who has become an acquaintance.

Another way to do it could be hiring a hall? I have seen that done too, although I think I was away when it was on. A local school PTA also puts one on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now