Thinking home style rather than personal.......home furnishings shopping...?

(7 Posts)
sweetheart Tue 12-Jan-16 14:11:20

We are currently having lots of building work done at home and I am starting to think about the finished article. Specifically need to look at lighting at the moment as this will be done with the building work. I've looked at a few places online (department stores, Next, Ikea etc) but nothing is really jumping out at me. Where do you stylish people get your home furnishings from?

SheHasAWildHeart Tue 12-Jan-16 14:31:41

I bought stuff from my house from a range of places (including Next and Ikea) - but mainly from one off independent shops, so everything in my house looks more expensive than it actually is. I'd find a pic of something I liked in a magazine or Pinterest and just research where else sold similar. I managed to get a Next sofa for half the price of what it is in-store by going direct to the people who make them. But obviously that research can take time. Have you had a look at Lee Longlands? Habitat? HomeSense also had nice bits and pieces.

SheHasAWildHeart Tue 12-Jan-16 14:32:17

I went to John Lewis at the weekend and they had nice stuff in, especially lighting.

Potterwolfie Tue 12-Jan-16 14:44:32

My very favourite house stuff is from Homesense, but you have to be willing to root and grab things when you see them.

John Lewis has beautiful lighting, but if you can find an independent supplier, maybe a local business, they will prob be able to supply what you want for much less money.

RaisingSteam Tue 12-Jan-16 14:55:33

Depends on your style. How about start a pinterest board for your main rooms?
If you look online there are trade lighting suppliers, they usually sell to public and are good quality. Or an independent lighting shop would have bigger range than a department store.

Agree home sense are great for finishing touches, they have so much random stuff you are bound to find somethinga bit different.

lurkingabit Tue 12-Jan-16 19:14:15

Definitely yes to Pinterest board. You'll be surprised how helpful it is.

I've just finished the house. Can't say I'm very stylish but I can tell you where I bought. (Or 'sourced' as my neighbour says wink). I found the searching v difficult and it took loadsa time. I bought some lights in local independent light shops. Hall lights in an antique jumble sale of a shop. Some lamps in TKMaxx, but you have to keep popping in to get lucky. Light fittings are expensive. I used to take photos of lights I liked, (restaurants, shops etc) and look for similar. Didn't really look at department stores but I did think Next had a few good lights, didn't buy any tho.

For 'bits' for the house you can get very lucky in TKMaxx. But it is complete chance. Here there and everywhere as I was pottering about, e.g mirrors in a garden centre. Reframed photos/paintings with a local framer. Some IKEA.

Once you start, it does 'flow' a bit.

rageagainsttheBIL Tue 12-Jan-16 19:53:58

For lighting it depends what sort but unexpected places I'd look at include BHS and Zara Home (for lamps). We have also bought bases from Habitat and made our own shades. Heal's quite nice if you can afford it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now