nice stuff for walking, esp walking shoes

(33 Posts)
variousthings Mon 11-Jan-16 18:20:56

What do you all wear? Trying to walk further and for longer so need to get better stuff to wear. Nicer clothes make me feel better about exercise! grin

I could do with some waterproof walking shoes. What brands are good to go for?

I'm not going to be climbing any mountains so don't need oodles of gear.

Tia

Kettlebettle Mon 11-Jan-16 18:28:08

Waterproof and lightweight are the biggies for walking shoes or boots. I had to stop wearing a pair of North Face walking boots once I was walking for hours with the dogs every day as the weight of them made my knees hurt!

I like Salomon. I have shoes and boots from them. You need to try them on to get a good, close fit.

Pippin8 Mon 11-Jan-16 18:29:24

I've got a few cheap base layers & fleece tops from decathlon. You do need decent shoes & a coat though. I've got some merrel walking boots, which are sturdy, waterproof & comfy. I've also got a good Rab coat. But by far my best purchase is my fleece lined Rab leggings. So warm & comfy. Walking is not glam!

Kettlebettle Mon 11-Jan-16 18:30:26

I am no use on walking clothes as the dogs would trash anything nice above ankle level. My sister always recommends Helly Hansen base layer stuff.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 11-Jan-16 18:35:18

I have Salomon boots, as does DS, and DD has Merrell. Both are excellent.

WoodleyPixie Mon 11-Jan-16 18:35:48

I brought some from sports direct. Gelert about £20. Have been fab. Really lightweight and waterproof. Have been fab in dog walks around the lake that is completely waterlogged and muddy and then our weekend walks. Ill never spend £50+ on them again. They didn't even need breaking in.

Rainatnight Mon 11-Jan-16 18:42:22

I really like Salomon for a more lightweight boot.

Craghoppers and Mountain Equipment are on the more stylish end of the spectrum, but it's not a very stylish spectrum!

As others have said, layering is really important. Both M and S and Uniqlo do really nice thermal base layers, including sparkly ones!

TK Maxx often have great discounts on fleeces and waterproofs, keep an eye out to see when they have outdoor stuff in.

Good luck!

Follyfoot Mon 11-Jan-16 18:44:02

I've got Salomon boots too - really comfortable and staggeringly light. Oh and waterproof too. If you get a pair of decent walking boots and some stretch walking trousers you wont go far wrong.

As for Rab, if you are in the midlands, they have a factory shop not too far from us (Derbyshire), my neighbour keeps coming home with great bargains!

Sleepybeanbump Mon 11-Jan-16 18:47:33

I have merrell and salomon trail shoes as well and rate them. My boots are meindl. It's all about fit though- a good fit for your feet won't be for someone else. Go to cotswold outdoor and ask for a proper shoe fitting.

Sleepybeanbump Mon 11-Jan-16 18:49:32

Oh and don't go cheap on shoes if you can help it. Cheapy stuff like mountain warehouse is great for clothes but think you need to spend more on well fitting footwear. My boots were about 200 but they've done years worth of walking holidays and weekly walks. Well worth it.

Pippin8 Mon 11-Jan-16 22:13:25

Folly, that shop is awesome. It's where I got my coat from. Wish I'd looked for leggings in there as they were expensive!

variousthings Mon 11-Jan-16 23:30:31

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

GrimDamnFanjo Tue 12-Jan-16 00:07:11

Like the sound of fleece leggings!

stealthbanana Tue 12-Jan-16 00:31:47

I can really recommend ahnu sugapine boots. They are the lightest, comfiest boots I've ever worn and are waterproof. Alas you can't buy them in the uk but if you go to the us Amazon store they ship to the U.K. About $200 even with import duties, so priced really well too.

ScattyHattie Tue 12-Jan-16 03:31:41

where is the Rab shop in derbyshire, any links?

I don't do hiking miles more nice walks exercising the dogs, I have some leather zamberlan boots but wear my sketchers trainers a lot to walk the dogs when its not wet/muddy. Agree that its best to go to an outdoor store and try various brands/shoes on as they do vary in fit and the sizing can also be different to your usual size.

I bought a lands end squall coat originally because it was difficult to get plus sized outdoor gear, then replaced with down commuter from LE having lost weight as i liked it so much (except the velcro). My dogs hate rain more than me so i don't have to spend hours out in it & wanted a coat i could also wear to town & not look outdoorsy.

i have some nice stretchy craghoppers trousers, but i got them at a charity shop so not sure which they are. I tend to just put normal fleece tights under my trousers but its highly unlikely i'd get too warm. i've had some good tkmaxx finds too.

cressetmama Tue 12-Jan-16 12:47:17

Salomon boots get my vote too. Nice narrrow heels and very light. DS prefers Merrells. Have a Merrell duffle coat (inherited from DS) which is warm, waterproof and kneelength for the cold, and a Barbour for warmer wet weather plus an expensive light wind and waterproof Arcteryx hooded jacket that I pair with a Lands End down gilet for cold dry weather.

specialsubject Tue 12-Jan-16 12:56:37

it's not really brand (is it ever?) it is what fits. As you see from postings above.

if you are size 7 or above look at men's shoes/boots; better made, cheaper and no silly pink/sparkles.

you need to try on in a real outdoor shop, testing out on a slope and steps.

bawabod Tue 12-Jan-16 13:41:55

Salomon boots for me, I walk long distances on a regular basis They are light comfortable and waterproof. had mine measured for me and taking my stride into consideration were recommended to me by a very knowledgable chap at the Cotswold outdoor co.

variousthings Tue 12-Jan-16 15:51:08

Salomons sound like the shoes to go for!

I have wide size 8 feet and usually go for men's stuff.

Just had a look at the old shoes I'm wearing at the moment and they are unbranded. Quite comfy and waterproof though, not that I'm wearing them in torrential downpours. The only waterproof/shower proof thing I own is a cheapy regatta jacket thing and that definitely needs an upgrade! Sweaty and horrid.

superbfairywren Tue 12-Jan-16 17:50:30

I have salamon walking shoes, they're basically goretex trainers. They're great and have lasted years. So comfortable and lightweight. For clothing I would just buy what you like the look of if it makes you happier. Anything breathable and preferably wicking. The Nike DRI fit stuff is good. But new look and h and m have good exercise sections for high Street stuff.

BikeRunSki Tue 12-Jan-16 18:06:28

I like Howies for merino base layers (which I also wear as long sleeved Ts), chinos and fleeces and sporty leggings and outdoory stuff. They occassionaly do technical walking trousers too.

I love Patagonia and would buy everything from them if money were no object. After bring dissapointed in many alternative waterproof jackets, I'll be going back to them next time I need one.

The clearance bit on the Cotswold Outdoor website has many bargains.

BikeRunSki Tue 12-Jan-16 18:10:34

As for shoes, I hate Salamon, they just don't fit my feet, but Keen fit as if they were made to measure.

Agree that North Face shoes are heavy!

BikeRunSki Tue 12-Jan-16 18:12:05

I've just seen you have wide size 8 feet - same as me. I'm not saying you might not like Salamons, but try other brands too.

littlewoollypervert Tue 12-Jan-16 18:18:47

Can I pop in - I'm a size 20 and want a jacket that will cover my bum for walking, where would people recommend? Not looking to spend £££ (not yet anyway!) as I'm planning to lose weight, and part of the plan I'm starting is an hour's walking every day, come rain or shine.

Melonaire Tue 12-Jan-16 18:19:48

I buy men's shoes as the width to length ratio is better for my feet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now