Recommendations for dry itchy scalp?

(21 Posts)
FelixFelix Mon 11-Jan-16 14:57:17

Not sure if this warrants a post in S&B or not. I wasn't sure where to put it!

I've been put on accutane by my dermatologist and one of the side effects I've got is a really dry and itchy scalp. It's not something I've ever suffered from before (usually have to wash my hair every day because it gets quite greasy) so I'm not sure how to treat it.

It's very itchy today and now getting a bit sore from scratching/messing with it.

Can anyone recommend anything I can use on it? I can deal with itchy skin elsewhere as you can easily moisturise but obviously it's a bit more complicated trying to moisturise my scalp. It's really irritating me!

ihatethecold Mon 11-Jan-16 15:14:22

Phillip Kingsley do a shampoo for itchy scalps. I havent tried it though.

Indecisivejo Mon 11-Jan-16 16:51:58

The body shop ginger shampoo

Maverick66 Mon 11-Jan-16 17:02:24

Philip Kingsley itchy scalp shampoo either use it with Philip Kingsley itchy scalp lotion or use lotion on its own. I just use lotion. I buy it in Marks and Spencer. It is expensive about £12/15 . But lasts ages. If my scalp is really bad I take an antihistamine. Also Neutrogena do an itchy scalp shampoo which is good

JapanNextYear Mon 11-Jan-16 17:10:16

second the Philip Kingsley one, I use the shampoo and it helped.

FelixFelix Mon 11-Jan-16 17:14:13

Oh I've used Philip Kingsley products before! Didn't realise there was an itchy scalp thing. I'll look it up, thank you. It's driving me mad!

Indecisivejo Mon 11-Jan-16 17:14:22

I was very disappointed with the Phillip Kingsley one it actually made my scalp more itchy sad I returned it for a refund!

FelixFelix Mon 11-Jan-16 17:15:52

Oh dear, that's not good! shock

Babymouse Mon 11-Jan-16 17:30:53

Seconded - Try to get a sample first - Phillip Kingsley made my scalp worse!

Indecisivejo Mon 11-Jan-16 17:35:53

Glad I'm not the only one!

SparklyTinselTits Mon 11-Jan-16 17:56:25

Coconut oil.
I was sceptical at first as I have oily hat and skin, but it's worked wonders!
if you know you'll need to wash your hair in the morning, then rub coconut oil into your scalp the night before, leave it over night (put a towel on your pillow) and wash our hair as normal in the morning smile smells yummy too!

FelixFelix Mon 11-Jan-16 18:04:02

Coconut oil is a good shout, thank you

Pancakeflipper Mon 11-Jan-16 18:04:42

Sniffs SparklyTTits.

P Kingsley made my scalp worse too so get a,sample first.

Trial and error and a bathroom with half used products.

I am currently ok with Happy Hair products. Was.

Pancakeflipper Mon 11-Jan-16 18:06:31

I'd like to make it clear I am sniffing SparklyTTits hair

PerspicaciaTick Mon 11-Jan-16 18:12:47

The only shampoo that reliably helps my itchy scalp is Tesco's Anti-dandruff shampoo for itchy scalp. However I've noticed it is no longer on the website, so I'll try the Head and Shoulders next time, I'm hoping they are the same stuff in different packaging.

Pringlesandwine Mon 11-Jan-16 18:13:50

Faith in nature's tea tree is fab!

Cabawill Mon 11-Jan-16 18:14:19

I've just bought some Kiehls anti dandruff shampoo as I've been itching so much lately I've caused about 5 scabs on my head.

Never had this problem before and was convinced I had nits or something but numerous checks haven't found any.

Only used it twice and not sure it's made any difference yet. Smells lovely though.

WhiteHairReally Mon 11-Jan-16 20:11:30

TGel Cold Tar Shampoo. Use it a couple of times a week to keep the itch at bay. Smells medicinal but I follow it up with Palmer's Coconut Oil conditioner which masks it.

Saurus72 Mon 11-Jan-16 21:30:34

I had massive problems with a dry itchy scalp and tried soon many products over a period of months and months. I spent so much money too - Nizoral, which is about £10 for a tiny bottle, Phillip Kingsley which I think was £16 and did absolutely nothing at all The Body Shop ginger shampoo (as recommended on a MN thread!) has cured it though - now I use it every day and it seems to be much better. Hurrah!

ouchmyfanjo Mon 11-Jan-16 21:38:43

I've suffered for years and tried most things mentioned up thread. Some make it worth, with others they stop being effective after a while. I am currently trying the nopoo method. Just rinsing my hair in water and really massaging round scalp and roots. My hair looks better than it has in ages; less frizz, more shine and my scalp has stopped itching and feeling tight. I was worried as I am prone to greasy hair but weirdly it's less greasy. Hoping this may last.
Hope you find something that helps.

ouchmyfanjo Mon 11-Jan-16 21:39:25

*worse not worth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now