Hairy top lip and chin - is electrolosis the answer?

(11 Posts)
ukgirlatheart Mon 11-Jan-16 14:10:51

ok in my 40's and always waxed top lip tash and hiars under chin.

Tried electrolosis over the last few months and it's so painful, I understand that it is a long term thing and you have to keep going etc.. but I just hate it, so painful

What do others do?
PS Im olive skinned and hairs are black

ukgirlatheart Wed 13-Jan-16 15:04:22

anyone?

chanie44 Wed 13-Jan-16 16:41:26

I have laser treatment. It does sting, but it's over quickly, as the laser removes more hairs, rather than individually like electrolysis does. My clinic uses a heat based laser so it's suitable for dark skins.

I got a deal from groupon which was about £70 for my upper lip, chin and sides of the face and was 6 sessions. I used to pay £60 per session for IPl, which is light based system of laser, so when I saw the groupon deal, I thought it was worth a shot. I prefer the results.

I did have electrolysis, but it was leaving marks on my upper lip, so I stopped. The marks have did go after I stopped.

Toohardtofindaproperusername Wed 13-Jan-16 18:33:35

How many sessions do u need though? who cares about moustache and beards

Goodbetterbest Wed 13-Jan-16 19:16:30

I had electrolysis for years in my 20s, it wasn't great. I use an Epilator now. Much quicker, over in seconds.

ByThePrickingOfMyThumbs Wed 13-Jan-16 19:20:32

I get my upper lip threaded whenever I get my eyebrows done. So once every couple of weeks. I don't find threading painful at all really but I think I'm somewhat in the minority there.

WipsGlitter Wed 13-Jan-16 21:27:54

Is laser permanent though? I was looking at the lumea things but they don't seem to be permanent.

ukgirlatheart Thu 14-Jan-16 11:48:30

I definately want something that is permanent so threading wouldnt be or a epilator.

Is laser permanent?

Joey8 Thu 14-Jan-16 12:32:13

I'm very hairy! And have always just waxed - have any of you tried the No No thats been on TV? I as tempted to get it but I'm not sure!

ukgirlatheart Thu 14-Jan-16 14:10:16

Ive always waxed for years but now just want rid of it permanently - I dont want to be a hairy old lady!

Clearoutre Thu 14-Jan-16 20:08:33

Light skin & dark hair is apparently the ideal combo for effective laser hair removal and it has worked a treat on my facial hair after trying many methods inc. waxing and electrolysis. I never need to think about facial hair now and am particularly happy that the previous constant pulling at my upper lip with wax strips (and the lines it left) and generally examining my face with a pair of tweezers is a thing of the past.

Overall I needed one appointment every 5/6 weeks (depending on when re-growth occurred) and a total of 8 sessions before it was all gone permanently - my chin hairs were more stubborn and they spread a bit down my neck before everything disappeared permanently. Each session involved around a minute of actual laser-ing so it's over with very quickly and was nowhere near the slog and pain of electrolysis.

Ideally get a recommendation but if not then find somewhere with on-line reviews that refer to professional staff and positive results. Also take their advice re. sun protection during treatment seriously.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now