What exactly is a "good" haircut?

(6 Posts)
Northey Sun 10-Jan-16 07:45:29

I nod sagely whenever I see it given as advice and think that is is something I must tackle, but what does it actually mean? What makes it "good" as opposed to just "boring, could probably be better, but at least it's regularly trimmed"?

TimeToMuskUp Sun 10-Jan-16 08:22:15

I'd say a 'good' haircut is one which actively frames or enhances your face or features. It doesn't have to be a certain style or colour, it just has that 'style' thing going on.

I've had long, blonde hair forever. Sometimes I'd dream of changing it but never dared. A week before Christmas I went "chop it all off into a swingy bob and dye it brown please" to my hairdresser. And it falls beautifully, it bounces when I march about, it looks like it has a purpose other than just hanging there. For me thats a 'good' haircut.

EricNorthmanSucks Sun 10-Jan-16 08:25:39

A good haircut will mean you can style your hair easily after a wash.

It will swing back into shape, without lengthy blow drying, equipment, products. etc because it has been cut to do so, taking into account, your hair type.

GrinAndTonic Sun 10-Jan-16 08:36:36

I'm yet to get such a good haircut. I struggle to get a good cut and my curly/wavy/dry/frizzy hair is the result. I'm thinking of having it relaxed or whatever it's called.

NNalreadyinuse Sun 10-Jan-16 13:26:19

I had all my long, one length hair cut into a pixie. I am now growing it out and have a chin length bob. To me, a good haircut is one which keeps it shape, even when it is growing out a bit or has just been washed, one that you can recreate yourself at home, that moves easily (if long) and isn't helmety.

When I was looking for hair styles I noticed a lot of women with lego hair - overly fixed in place and very 'samey'

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 10-Jan-16 13:33:13

yes...a good haircut is not really about whether or not it suits you, it's technique

ime all hair cuts look good when you leave the salon, but the true test is if you can get it to look as good at home without the millions of curly brushes, tongs, straighteners and products

plus if it holds the style as it grows out....so you don't end up looking like Wurzel Gummidge in 4 weeks time with odd tufts and straggles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now