Would you risk this Dry Clean Only Hobbs bargain?

(7 Posts)
VintageDresses Fri 08-Jan-16 09:21:37

dress

It's a close fitting summer dress, so it's going to need to be washed. Who would dry clean something every time it's worn? I imagine that's why it's such a bargain. I've had my eye on it since it came out but the dry cleaning, as much as the original price ruled it out.

Anyway, it's mostly viscose, so no reason it shouldn't wash.....is there?

Pinkvici22 Fri 08-Jan-16 09:23:00

I would risk it and either hand wash or very gentle machine wash...there is no way I'd dry clean a dress (other than a v expensive occasion dress which would only be worn once/twice).

Gatekeeper Fri 08-Jan-16 09:26:16

oh I really like that and I'm not a dress person. Viscose can go a bit 'dishcloth-y' when wet but I see it has polyamide in as well so that should stabilise it . I would handwash it though and blot in a towel.

Floggingmolly Fri 08-Jan-16 09:27:18

I always machine wash dry clean only clothes; haven't lost one yet...

Gatekeeper Fri 08-Jan-16 09:28:22

maybe get some black dress shields to wear with it; you can get them from Amazon

burnishedsilver Fri 08-Jan-16 09:36:41

Very nice. It looks like something you should be able to wash. I'd risk it.

bishboschone Sat 09-Jan-16 18:12:55

I'm an ex dry cleaner and you can most certainly wash a lot of dry clean only items ( most in fact with care ) if you are going to hamdwash it I would try and do a gentle spin in the machine or squeeze with a towel . Leaving an item dripping wet can cause more damage than a spin as the weight of it stretches it out of shape . Make sure you use a liquid detergent ( ideally a delicate one ) without bleach in it ( most powders have bleach in ) .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now