Help me find an outfit that will take me from lunch through to after work drinks

(10 Posts)
Rocksie Tue 05-Jan-16 23:49:04

I'll be going out with colleagues in the City from lunchtime in our not too fancy local and we will be staying there for the afternoon until moving to a nicer bar/'club'

I want to dress for the occasion, so something for day to night. Am thinking navy skinnies with heeled black suede boots....and then I'm stuck.

Any suggestions please? Also I'm trying to get away from wearing skinnies but it's so hard as not much else out there.

I'm late 30s, 5'8" and size 10 if that helps.

HomeMeasurements Wed 06-Jan-16 05:54:51

I'm doing similar today. I'm wearing black culottes with not very high quite casual looking heels and a cropped (but not very as in can't see my stomach or anything) patterned shirt. I'm about same height as you.

Alternatively if you want to stick with the skinnies then a nice shirt plus some earrings would be good.

Rocksie Wed 06-Jan-16 06:55:52

Thanks home, whilst I'm not sure culottes are my thing I like the idea of a shirt. The only one in my wardrobe is this white shirt from next. I think it may be too work shirt?

WipsGlitter Wed 06-Jan-16 07:02:34

Bit work shirt / waitress. If it was me it would be grubby and crumpled by lunchtime as well!!

Can you afford something new?

Rocksie Wed 06-Jan-16 07:13:42

Totally agree glitter.

Yes happy to get something new.

HomeMeasurements Wed 06-Jan-16 08:18:42

What about something like this? Not too smart www.massimodutti.com/m/gb/women/shirts-%26-blouses/patterned-silk-shirt-c1265513p6981004.html

And yes fair enough culottes not for everyone! Feeling very mixed about them!

Alanna1 Wed 06-Jan-16 08:27:00

Personally I'd wear a work dress to this. I might jazz up with heels/jewellary/scarf, but more likely I'd just wear the dress. Possibly with boots in this weather. Hobbs and jaeger and whistles do lots of work dresses.

Believeitornot Wed 06-Jan-16 09:03:11

I think I'd wear a sleeveless top and a short blazer. Then when you get to the evening you can remove the blazer and look glam.

Oogle Wed 06-Jan-16 09:23:20

I am loving Phase Eight at the moment.

How about a top like this? www.phase-eight.com/elisa-top//phase-eight/fcp-productdetail/301842141?locale=en

I've just bought these dresses too and they're both lovely
www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/dresses/maisie-wrap-dress/203218022

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/dresses/gail-woven-knit-dress/203095050

Rocksie Wed 06-Jan-16 18:51:14

Home thanks for the link. I would never have thought to look in Massimo Dutti, always thought too out of price range but surprisingly not. I really like that shirt too which I would have never looked twice at. Good spot! If culottes are you're thing then go for it as its great to see people wearing different styles.

Believeitornot that is always a fallback option if I can't buy something new in time, will look in my wardrobe tonight.

Oogle those are nice clothes you linked to, I don't know why but I see Phase Eight as clothes for slightly older women? Probably not and it's just me trying to hold onto my youth! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now