Money saving beauty tips

(8 Posts)
chumbler Tue 05-Jan-16 13:55:09

Can we share them?

Mine would be -

- add water to hand soap and washing up liquid to use up the last bits
- cut open tubes to use up the last bits, eg of moisturiser
- use body moisturiser as hand moisturiser and vice versa
- use bath cream as shower gel (if trying to use it up)

Anyone have more?

magicgirl74 Tue 05-Jan-16 15:46:54

Don't sniff at cheaper brands!My hubby is being made redundant shortly so we are having to cut back drastically.I was using clarins but have swapped my night and day moisturiser for aldi versions and have been pleasently suprised and their body lotion isnt half bad either.My clarins cleansers have been swapped for simple and my emma hardie moringa balm swapped to body shop camomile cleansing balm and they have been fine so far.Iv also swapped to cheaper makeup brands such as makeup revolution for eyeshadow and blusher and bougois for foundation and they also have been fine.I wouldn't normally have even considered trying cheaper brands but as needs must iv had to but so far iv been impressed and iv also started scouring poundshops for things like toothpaste,hand soap and other toiletries and they are a lot cheaper than supermarkets.

Donge13 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:49:51

Don't use cotton wool..use a face cloth
Don't buy bb cream... Just put a tiny drop of foundation with your moisturiser
Use hair conditioner instead of shaving cream
Do your own nails
Use cheap bubble bath in hand wash dispensers

chumbler Tue 05-Jan-16 19:39:04

Brilliant tips smile

I have just started using a sponge to bath baby rather than cotton wool

Love using conditioner instead of shaving cream, I used to have such dry legs but they are super soft since doing this

Keep them coming ladies!

MotherOfMinions Tue 05-Jan-16 20:29:23

Whet into the habit of stocking up on your favourite brands when they're on offer in Boots or Superdrug. I never pay full price for hair dye, shampoo, cleanser, etc. As there are always offers in store.

Admittedly, this may be difficult to do on a very tight budget but will save you loads over the course of a year.

chumbler Tue 05-Jan-16 21:52:40

Yes, I do that mother, so long as I'm not tempted to try something new before using my stash up!

I keep boots vouchers in my purse next to my boots card so that I never forget to use them

0dfod Tue 05-Jan-16 22:29:58

Aloe Vera gel for £2/3 pounds in Holland and Barrett instead of expensive little tubs of branded eye gel/moisturiser.

Olive oil to take make up off and moiturise your face (and body). Olive oil is very easily absorbed by the skin.

Apple cider vinager as a toner (dilute if needed with water), much kinder to skin than acid beauty products.

Mixing granulated sugar to an everyday mild lotion such as baby lotion and use as a face/body scrub.

Useing green tea with a couple of drops of tea tree oil/lavender oil can make the face feel less fatigued. This can be made in advance (with thyme and sage herbs, these will need straining, I prefer to put herbs into a tea ball) and popped into a bottle and kept in the fridge.

PurpleDaisies Tue 05-Jan-16 22:35:57

Use up what's in the cupboards rather than buying more. I haven't bought moisturiser for a year!

Also, repurpose things you didn't like in their original role. I've used face moisturiser on body, and face wash as shower gel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now