Is it me, or is Zara really poor quality?

(33 Posts)
carlajean Tue 05-Jan-16 13:52:39

I went in this weekend, to check out a dress that was featured in the weekend Guardian. The shop assistants were useless but, after looking at the rest of the stuff, I wasn't all that bothered, as it all seemed to be such poor quality - about Primart standard. Have I missed a trick here, and missed some good stuff in with the bad?

Wilberforce2 Tue 05-Jan-16 13:57:05

I bought a few items from their kids range for my two dc and was shocked at the quality, I ordered it all online and I was really disappointed when it arrived. It was all returned!

louloubelle2 Tue 05-Jan-16 15:41:37

It's crap. They produce something like the most number of collections with the fastest turn around from factory to shop floor on the high street. If you like to wear knock offs of designer styles when they are most current then fine, if you want clothes to last more than one wash, don't bother.

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 05-Jan-16 15:44:16

It's just Primark with a fancier accent.

FrustratedFrugal Tue 05-Jan-16 16:09:31

They've been totally awful for a couple of years. Back in the day it was all pure silk and pure cotton and I used to be a huge fan, but I haven't bought anything there in a long while.

Lelivre Tue 05-Jan-16 16:15:02

Frustratedfrugal - I've found the same. Where do you shop now?

Indecisivejo Tue 05-Jan-16 16:24:04

All the stuff I've bought from there been crap too! Shrinks in the wash (I always follow instructions) and kind of just hangs unflattering on u

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Tue 05-Jan-16 16:24:44

The quality of the clothing there is poor imo as must be their quality control. I posted the attached photo of a top I bought my youngest from there a while ago (note nice sharp extra bit on stud). There are always loose threads and loose buttons on their clothing too.

LisaMWill Tue 05-Jan-16 16:35:55

I love the style and look of the zara clothes but the last 2 tops I have bought have had to be returned after 1 wash due to shrinking fading etc (following washing in instructions) really disappointed

HappyGirlNow Tue 05-Jan-16 16:49:57

I buy a lot from Zara. Some of it is not great quality wise but much of it is fine. They do still do some silk and cotton stuff, I have some beautiful silk blouses from there. And I love their original designs.

FrustratedFrugal Tue 05-Jan-16 16:54:31

H&M (I think their quality has improved) and middle range brands like MiH, Me + Em, Sand, and Malene Birger. Some of my best pure cotton tees and vests are from Decathlon.

annielostit Tue 05-Jan-16 17:09:01

I just thought it was me being picky.smile

Doobigetta Tue 05-Jan-16 18:00:46

I've always thought Zara was over-rated. I've had one or two nice things, but generally it's all synthetic fabrics, which I avoid. And silly things like shirts being made with no give in them, so you can't move your arms.

chumbler Tue 05-Jan-16 19:44:40

Lisa did they mind you returning it? Have never done this after washing something but I should as so annoying when clothes are ruined after one (correct) wash

chumbler Tue 05-Jan-16 19:45:28

Oh and he's zara is shit now. Such a shame. Been shopping there for 10 years and it used to be so much better

29redshoes Tue 05-Jan-16 20:31:17

Yes! I've thought this for years now. Really struggle to find anything in Zara. I also think their clothes are cut for a certain body type...not entirely sure what type exactly, but not mine! Whenever I try anything on it seems to hang very strangely and look a bit weird.

Lancome2 Tue 05-Jan-16 22:48:54

If you want to know how bad Zara is- look at their very beautiful shoes, wear them and you will shed tears- the most uncomfortable shoes in the world.
Their fabrics lose the 'pristine' look after one wash.

Lucked Wed 06-Jan-16 00:37:14

Is massing dutti quality any better ? They are part of the Zara group and I have ordered a few things in the sale but they haven't arrived yet, I don't have a shop near me so it is a bit of a blind buy.

Monty27 Wed 06-Jan-16 00:59:50

Rubbish quality and the sizing is ridiculously off key just like Gap imho

HerRoyalNotness Wed 06-Jan-16 01:03:13

Re massimo dutti, I stopped buying there as I'd bought a couple of silk shirts and both of them had a pulled section on them after I'd washed them, completely ruined after one wash

Blueturquoise Wed 06-Jan-16 04:19:53

Agree most Zara stuff is pretty poor quality nowadays. I do have some sweaters and cardis from a few years ago and there is a definite difference in quality.
Massimo dutti is Zara in slightly neater store with a higher price tag - their stuff looks fabulous but I he had terrible experiences with it in terms of quality (tops losing shape after washing, threads coming loose, items losing colour- basically terribly quality )

Kennington Wed 06-Jan-16 07:08:55

Zara has totally lost it for me a in the past 2-4 years. I don'tind polyester but I am certainly not going to pay a lot for it.
Plus the cuts have gone awry too.
If whistles aren't careful they will go the same way.
Massimo isn't much better either.

Longdistance Wed 06-Jan-16 07:30:16

Zara's is dreadful.

I used to shop there about 15 years ago. I remember the quality fabrics they had, silks and wool. I had a lovely wool short coat that lasted me about 10 years. It'd still be ok today as it had a funnel neck, but eventually the lining went.
I used to shop lots in the ones in Spain. I would buy loads, and brig them back with me.
The last time I stepped foot in one was about 5 years ago when I went to return something, ad was served by an awful snotty shop assistant.
Never again.

FrustratedFrugal Wed 06-Jan-16 07:32:23

I tried on some Massimo Dutti items recently, wasn't impressed. Zara items from about ten years ago are exquisite, one of my favorite work jackets is from them, all natural fibers, pick-stitched lapels, perfect fit. They used to do decent quality accessories too.

TwoInTheMourning Wed 06-Jan-16 07:38:26

Both Zara and Massimo Dutti used to be my go to shops but now I don't even bother. Appalling quality, just awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now