am I too old to wear White Stuff clothes?

(20 Posts)
carlajean Tue 05-Jan-16 13:48:07

So, I'm 59, and recently lost some weight, and can now get into size 14. It's been so long that I've been able to wear nice things that I've lost sight of what looks good on older women. I love White Stuff clothes, and they've got a brilliant sale on, but am I too old to wear it? I'm not one of those amazing older women, who look fantastic in anything, but an ordinary woman, who's thinner than she used to be.

nilbyname Tue 05-Jan-16 13:50:08

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Wear what you like, and no you are not too old for whistle stuff or anything else for that matter!

SkodaLabia Tue 05-Jan-16 13:54:11

No! They hardly make crop tops and hotpants. Go for it, they have some really nice colours.

ivejusthadacake Tue 05-Jan-16 13:54:21

no you are not too old - go for it and see what suits.

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Tue 05-Jan-16 13:55:15

My mum is 61 and is also "an ordinary woman" (don't mean anything negative there, mum!) and wears White Stuff tunics and dresses. The sizing is generous - she recently went from a size 14 to a 12 but in White Stuff she takes a 10.

They do have a good sale on, have you looked at their range in the John Lewis sale? My mum got some things from there. Tunics and skinny jeans/jeggings are safe enough options for older women.

Congratulations on the weight loss. It feels great to be have to more choice of clothes, doesn't it!

G1veMeStrength Tue 05-Jan-16 13:55:37

My friend is similar age and looks great in White Stuff and also Joe Brown.

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Tue 05-Jan-16 13:55:59

Sorry for the garbled last sentence!

FreshHorizons Tue 05-Jan-16 13:57:43

I am older than you and wear it. If you like it then wear it!

bearleftmonkeyright Tue 05-Jan-16 13:57:59

My DPs Mum has some white stuff and she is 76. Go for it.

ZenNudist Tue 05-Jan-16 14:00:19

No I'd have thought it would be fine. It's not a very 'young' shop.

bilbodog Tue 05-Jan-16 14:30:08

I'm 59 and wear it - so go for it!

goodnessgraciousgoudaoriginal Tue 05-Jan-16 15:27:16

I'm in my 30's and wouldn't go near the white stuff with a barge pole. I think it is very much targeted towards the older lady - I would find it suited someone in your age group MUCH more than mine, so go for it!

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Tue 05-Jan-16 15:32:30

If you hate it now you'll probably hate it when you're 60, goodnessgracious, it's obviously not your style.

I know women in their 30s and 40s who wear White Stuff and similar. It's not fashionista-friendly but perfectly fine, normal clothes.

burnishedsilver Tue 05-Jan-16 15:46:14

No. Not at all.
Congrats on your weightliss.

CreviceImp Tue 05-Jan-16 17:09:11

Why don't you go for a style day at John Lewis and try on loads of stuff? It is very easy to feel out of sorts after weight loss and unnerved by it and it takes time to get your eye in again as to what works for your new shape.

Floisme Tue 05-Jan-16 17:09:59

I can never decide whether to hmm or grin at this mumsnet obsession with shops for the 'older lady' - as if all women over 50 looked the same and liked the same things. Between us my older lady friends and I shop everywhere from Jaegar to Whistles to H&M. The only thing you're likely to find us all agreeing on is that we like sleeves.

Anyway, I'm the same age as you, op and no, you are not too old, any more than goodnessgracious (much as she might like to think otherwise) is too young. It's all down to your personal style and what suits you.

Floisme Tue 05-Jan-16 17:10:40

PS congratulations on the weight loss.

winterinmadeira Tue 05-Jan-16 17:13:34

No not at all - my mum is 68 and wears it!

Potterwolfie Tue 05-Jan-16 17:14:36

I wore it in my 30s, now in my 40s and intend to wear White Stuff stuff for many moons. I absolutely love their dresses (am a v. tall pear shape) and as mentioned, their stuff tends to be sized up, so try on before you buy.

Runningupthathill82 Tue 05-Jan-16 17:19:40

Not at all - my mum is 63 and White Stuff and Fat Face are her favourite shops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now