Another 'Cull My wardrobe' thread. How do I decide if it's "A Classic " to keep or a "I'm so sick of this old thing" to recycle?

(23 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 04-Jan-16 14:15:14

There are some clothes that have to go, no question.
But I really don't subscribe to the "I haven't wornn it for a year so out it goes" school of thought.

But after reading on the "Expensive" thread that some posters have cashmere 10+ years old, I don't want to be hasty.
So when does it go from "Oh 70 I love that jumper on you, so timeless" to "Oh, FFS, 70 not that old rag again hmm )?

EmilyPunkhurst Mon 04-Jan-16 14:48:05

When you stop loving it? When you stop feeling great in it? When you wouldn't go out of the house in it??

For me, I have to love it to keep it. If I'm lukewarm, it goes.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 04-Jan-16 14:58:45

Ahh but do you ever recycle something then you're out and you see something "Ooh that would go really nice with that top.... Oh "

I've got a couple of vest tops that I liked enough but didn't wear until I found a couple of cardigans that were an exact match for one of the accent shades. They were made for each other.

<<Disclaimer>>
I'm old. And Menopausal. I like a twinset.
I like a pattern + a plain.
grin

I went through my wardrobe and took some things out that I'll never wear (long black sequinned jumper) again.
Some things I don't want to be seen in unless I;m putting the bins out.

And there are things that still have the labels on that I will wear (just never had the chance to) sad

CreviceImp Mon 04-Jan-16 15:03:33

Have a wardrobe full of the stuff from a main capsule and store the rest in the loft so you can always come back to it.

EmilyPunkhurst Mon 04-Jan-16 15:07:37

I've never regretted culling things I don't love.

If you have things you've never had the chance to wear: are you sure you'll get the chance? Or will they hang limply there forever? grin

I never buy anything specifically (and only) to go with something else, so that reduces the risk of throwing something out then finding its perfect companion.

The Love-It method really works for me.

Floisme Mon 04-Jan-16 16:46:09

Ahh but do you ever recycle something then you're out and you see something "Ooh that would go really nice with that top.... Oh

Yes that used to happen all the time. Now I only throw out stuff that doesn't fit or that I know was a mistake. Fashion cycles are so short these days that most other things come back around after a few years.

Maybe I'm fickle but I can go years without wearing something then fall in love with it all over again. Today I'm wearing a red, boxy jumper that's been at the back of the cupboard for at least ten years. It's 100% wool and sooo warm.

The only major cull I've had in recent years was after the menopause when I realised my shape had changed and that I was never going to be a flat chested pear ever again.

You do need storage space though - I have a large cupboard that I use for 'fallow' stuff.

PitPatKitKat Tue 05-Jan-16 08:33:02

Find it best not to make snap or forced decisions. So I pop the item(s) in question in bag to go to the charity shop and keep it by the front door for at least a week, it's important not to force myself to it to the shop.

If I find myself going back to retrieve something, or just never quite manage to pick the bag up and take it out (especially if I don't pick it up to take despite the fact I will be passing the charity shop several times), then there is something I really want to keep.

Stepawayfromthezebras Tue 05-Jan-16 09:05:18

I've done a major wardrobe cull over the last couple of years and it's probably only happened two or three times. But I'm the type of person who doesn't get bored of wearing the same clothes over and over again. I've gone done from over 20 handbags to 6 and pretty much always use the same one every day.

HPsauciness Tue 05-Jan-16 09:13:36

I don't 'love' any of my clothes! I have a look, which is pretty similar every day, and think myself lucky if I don't look too fat or too old. I am obviously not in the right mind-set.

But I do need to have a clear out though, so there is good advice here.

TeaFathers Tue 05-Jan-16 12:12:48

My rule of thumb is based purely around how I look in the piece of clothing in question:

so - I try on the piece of clothing.

then - I look in the mirror and ask myself: "is this something I would be happy to be seen wearing if I ran into a friend / ex-boyfriend / old school friend / colleague?"

if the answer is negative, then get rid.

this criteria does not really apply to slouchy clothes worn strictly around the house.

MeridianB Tue 05-Jan-16 13:15:56

I once read that if you have not worn it for a full year (ie it didn't make it onto your back during any season) then it has to go.

I try to stick to this but do find myself hanging onto some things (in box in garage) for years and years.

I have even kept some items as 'the material is so pretty and I will make a quilt with pieces of all the lovely fabrics one day.' confused

Frostycake Tue 05-Jan-16 13:16:32

you know, I was thinking of starting a thread on this exact same topic.

I think 'classic' is beautifully cut (so fitted/tailored - not voluminous) beautifully made, (so cashmere not polyester) and in great condition (so not visibly worn, threadbare, pilled beyond combing etc.) and not 'of its time (so chuck a high-fashion thing that's had its day).

I did this earlier in the year and it made a huge difference to my wardrobe in terms of space (for more stuff!) and ease of getting ready and putting outfits together now that I can see what Iv'e got (easier to co-ordinate).

I threw away a wardrobe and a half of black stuff which, while in great condition and from good shops, just wasn't doing anything for me now I'm late 40s and light haired and light skinned and light eyed.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 05-Jan-16 13:22:34

Maybe you need to assess why you're not wearing it?

Is it because it doesn't look good or because it doesn't work with other items in your wardrobe? And if the latter, how much would it cost to put it right? Is it worth spending that amount?

reni2 Tue 05-Jan-16 13:24:56

Gifts are hardest I find. My mum bought me a lovely pussy bow blouse, they can be so sweet on some women. I look more like an aged school prefect. But it's so lovely and it was a gift...

Frostycake Tue 05-Jan-16 13:27:47

I've

clippityclop Tue 05-Jan-16 16:34:04

The deal breaker for me is if it's natural fibre. I have kept a silk shirt (still in lovely condition, good neutral colour about 15 years old) but ditched three polyester 'fashion' tops I bought a couple of years ago to wear at night on holiday which have hardly been worn. I haven't got rid before because of guilt that they would still 'do' should the occasion arise even though I really don't feel comfy in them. Now I'm being ruthless and they are going. What I do with three Boden cotton tops with beaded bits is another question!

MerdeAlor Tue 05-Jan-16 16:49:21

Hi 70 we were both on the expensive thread. I too felt inspired and did a wardrobe clear out today, filling two large black bin liners.

I cleared out:
Clothes that weren't in tip top condition, had marks, stains or had shrunk

Clothes that no longer fitted (clothes in a smaller size I know I'll never fit into)

Clothes that don't make me feel great

Clothes that I know are unstylish

Anything frumpy

Clothes that are too young for me now (many, many band t-shirts)

Then I ironed anything that needed it, including scarfs.
Tomorrow I intend to take photos of outfits that go well together. I may hone further if there are items that don't go with anything.
Plus I spent £££ in the sales yesterday, adding what I felt were classic items plus a few wtf was I thinking items on reflection

Merguez Tue 05-Jan-16 17:42:02

My rule is that nothing new comes into the wardrobe unless I cull the equivalent.

So if I buy a new jumper, I have to get rid of an old one to the charity shop.

thegiddylimit Tue 05-Jan-16 23:54:28

Clothes I have no problem culling, if it's worn out or unflattering it goes. Don't worry about 'loving' an item, if it's in decent nick and I like it it stays. But I don't buy tons of clothes so maybe that's the advice for people who have too many items, whereas I sometimes think 'shit, I really need to get a new work shirt because I don't have enough that are still in decent nick'. Or 'maybe I need to get a new pair of jeans for work because these ones are beginning to look a bit worn'.

I don't buy synthetics and have some items that I've had for years and years, I have a wool pencil skirt I bought when I started my current job nearly 15 years ago that I still love. It's been relined and I still wear it. Even my main winter coat is 5 years old (I have bought another since then but it's a shorter jacket so is worn at different times).

Joskar Wed 06-Jan-16 00:25:14

So what do you do if you're two sizes bigger than you want to be/used to be? Do you ditch the old small size clothes or keep them in anticipation of the Grand Weight Loss Resolution?

Chottie Wed 06-Jan-16 04:40:20

Joskar I would dress for the person I am today. Having to wade through a wardrobe full of clothes that do not fit or flatter is just to depressing. Fx you will lose weight, but I can guarantee the clothes you kept will not be the most flattering for the slimmer you either.

ScattyHattie Wed 06-Jan-16 05:39:28

I need to do a big cull, but find hard to get rid as get attached to things, so will be looking for tips.

Joskar I did keep clothes from my slim time for about 6-7yrs always saying i would slim back into them, during which i instead gained 4-5 dress sizes. I've since lost 8st, admittedly my clothes horde did in come use as lost weight than having to buy new clothes which wouldn't fit for long. Part of my motivation was a going out dress hanging in my wardrobe, now i can fit in it i don't really like it on me.

I found on reaching my goal i wanted to go shopping for new things. When i did look through the stored slim wardrobe i'd forgotten i was younger then so its not really me now, however there were some classic items so have worn them. i also had a fair bit of work wear which i don't need right now but will probably keep for when i go back as its not that different to what i've seen in the shops now.

Anotherusername1 Wed 06-Jan-16 08:10:04

Last week I saw a good thing on Facebook - turn all your coat hangers the other way round (and then when you wear the item, replace it the right way round). Then at the end of the year/3 month period/whatever you can see what clothes you didn't wear. That gives you an idea of what you haven't worn and then you can use any of the criteria suggested above to decide whether to get rid or keep.

As for losing weight - if you drop a couple (or more) dress sizes reward yourself by buying new clothes (in a charity shop if funds are tight). But don't keep the old ones in the wardrobe mocking you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now