Leather Jacket - questions

(35 Posts)
MairzyDoats Sat 02-Jan-16 22:09:37

Ok. I have a big birthday coming up. (40. Sssh.) I am being asked what I would like. I THINK I would like a black leather jacket but I am concerned that a) I am too old at 40 (I know I'm not really --but what if I am?--) b) if I get one will it instantly become naff (I want to believe they are classic) and c) where can I get a decent soft, not-shiny, not too bikery but still biker-y-ish one preferably in the sales?

MairzyDoats Sat 02-Jan-16 22:16:48

I quite like this - except it's sold out. And not sure it's leather given the price.

suchafuss Sat 02-Jan-16 22:46:42

I just treate myself to one and Im 48! They are classic and i wear mine loads, with skirts or jeans. Got mine from Brand Alley it was a Muubba one about £110

MairzyDoats Sat 02-Jan-16 22:58:53

Ooh...I rather like those.. The studded one is out of stock in my size but there's another one with an asymmetric zip for under $100. Is yours really soft? (And not shiny?!)

I am older than you and virtually live in mine. I'd avoided a black one for ages, and stuck to chocolate and grey, because I thought black might make me look like an aged goth. Actually, I now wear my black one far more than the others. It is gorgeously soft.

MairzyDoats Sat 02-Jan-16 23:17:33

Where from Remus? I'm looking at loads online but it's impossible to tell how soft they are in pics! I guess it will soften with wear...I've got a pleather one that I wear a lot but it gets a bit sweaty blush

My black one is from Oasis v similar to this. I chucked it around the bedroom a bit before I first wore it, and it's been beautifully soft from the start! grin Brown one is also Oasis. I also have a Mint Velvet one - lovely and soft but I'm not loving it as much as my Oasis ones.

burnishedsilver Sat 02-Jan-16 23:35:05

I got one for 40th. Best present ever. 5 years later and I still love it

BabyGanoush Sat 02-Jan-16 23:38:16

I opted for a brown one (almost chestnut colour)

I found black too hard to pull off somehow

Wear it loads

TimeToMuskUp Sat 02-Jan-16 23:40:09

I have a black one and a brown one, both identical from Monsoon. They were £90 in the sales a couple of years ago and are the softest, butteriest leather you could imagine. I go through phases of wearing them loads then they get relegated for a while, then suddenly I can't live without them again. Do it. You'll love it forever. And I second Muubaa, theirs are gorgeous.

Greengardenpixie Sun 03-Jan-16 08:14:30

This is a real treat but really lovely:

www.allsaints.com/women/leathers/allsaints-dare-biker/?colour=3913¤cy=GBP&gclid=Cj0KEQiAqqO0BRDyo8mkv9y259EBEiQApVQD_Zv_uzApMUEYcP9HzoY3URAHFxYcsWyZincnc_CiQ-8aArXH8P8HAQ

desperatehousewife21 Sun 03-Jan-16 12:44:10

I got one for Xmas. Black Pimkie from Asos around £35 obv not real leather but still soft not shiny and has zip detail to the arms which I think gives it a nicer shape.

Love that, Green.

ladedah Sun 03-Jan-16 13:12:17

I got this one for Christmas, it's really soft leather and already a bit distressed so don't have to worry about scuffing it

m.topshop.com/h5/product?productId=22107739

Mominatrix Sun 03-Jan-16 13:45:36

Rick owens. Spendy, but worth it.

Mominatrix Sun 03-Jan-16 13:47:47

All Saints do a version which is much more reasonable. They also have a good selection of leather jackets in various styles.

bigTillyMint Sun 03-Jan-16 13:48:29

I am over 50 and have 2 leather biker-style leather jackets - one brown, one black, both in lovely soft leather.

Go for it!

DavetheCat2001 Sun 03-Jan-16 13:55:21

I have an All Saints Belvedere leather jacket in bitter brown, like this:

cdnd.lystit.com/photos/2012/04/05/allsaints-bitter-belvedere-jacket-product-1-3161281-869604148.jpeg

I bought mine on eBay as I don't think you can get them new anymore. I absolutely love it, it looks great with so many things and I prefer the colour to black.

Cerseirys Sun 03-Jan-16 13:55:40

The Jaeger outlet site has several biker style ones in lovely soft leather. They're also available on Brand Alley quite a lot.

Floisme Sun 03-Jan-16 14:27:00

I've seen the All Saints on that Green linked - it's lovely and the leather is beautifully soft. I do wonder about the quality of ready made soft leather though, I always thought the best ones started out feeling a bit stiff but softenend with age? I'm not an expert so shout if I'm wrong.

For me, grey or dark brown are much more versatile and flattering than black - depends what colours you normally wear though.

As for your age, I'm thinking of treating myself to a new one for my 60th later this year.

ThatsHowYouGetAnts Sun 03-Jan-16 15:45:58

I ordered this earlier this week. Hasn't come yet. Returns are free so if I don't love it, no loss. I like the idea of a very dark blue rather than black...I have a black one from All Saints and it is lovely but the silver hardware seems too bright (and is a bit noisy).

I was lucky enough to receive £1000 Christmas money so decided to buy one brilliant leather jacket and one pair of hopefully-last-forever winter boots and then save the rest.

bishboschone Sun 03-Jan-16 16:54:18

I've got a lovely mango one but I find its big on the shoulders. It's the smallest size and I'm not skinny . It just does up around my waist ( I don't wear it done up) maybe I have smal shoulders but it bothers me that the shoulders stick out more than mine .

WilburIsSomePig Sun 03-Jan-16 18:53:07

www.oasis-stores.com///fcp-product/5581901

I'm waiting for delivery of this one. Not biker but I don't think I could pull that off. I AM a bit concerned about it being collar less but we'll see what it's like.

littleleftie Sun 03-Jan-16 18:55:33

I am 50 and regularly wear black leather jackets. My favourite one is similar to the one in your OP and was from Top Shop. I also have a lovely one from Wallis.

To ensure longevity fashion wise, make sure it's not too long or too short, and keep trimmings to a minimum.

friedafilmer Sun 03-Jan-16 19:58:03

BLK DNM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now