well here we are...no spend 2016...

(972 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Fri 01-Jan-16 01:21:42

Gulp!

I'm really curious about this. What counts/doesn't count? Would love to join in but it's a scary prospect!

KatarinaBaloo Fri 01-Jan-16 03:24:29

I'm joining, have more than enough.
Quietly confident...

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Fri 01-Jan-16 06:13:53

Can I join?

I'm going to be very skint this year as am on maternity leave. Baby is due on Sunday and I'm pretty sure I have everything I need clothes wise. Fingers crossed anyway!

Am now wondering if I need new jeans, but I have a shelf full of them so hopefully can make do.

HairsprayQueen Fri 01-Jan-16 06:18:41

Morning all Happy New Year!

Signing in as really ready for this and looking forward to being free from wanting all the stuff smile

Allgunsblazing Fri 01-Jan-16 07:52:28

Oh, this is a pledge I too took this year. Not really sure why, I hardly spend lots and lots on clothes and shoes, but when I do it's into hundreds of pounds.
But, I do have enough quite nice clothes to last me 12 months, enough moisturisers and make up, hopefully enough perfume. So there it goes. Now I'm off to find the thread that pledged to buy nothing off Amazon for a year😂

StillShopalot Fri 01-Jan-16 08:32:16

Nervous, but going to do it as don't need anything new.

Lurks.........

I've done No Spend Months ...some were good, some (like my birthday month) not so good. blush

I have pretty much all I need except some new knickers (I bought some from Sainsburys and they are too baggy so they annoy me) and new work shoes (current pair are at least 2 yo)

So once I've sorted them, I'm in maybe

What I might do though:

See what I have already and not buy a new item unless I run out (like moisturiser) or it's a toiletry (like toothpaste or anti-perspirant)

If I see something I like then I will 99% of the time walk away for 24 hours and if I still love it, go back next time I'm shopping. By which time I might have decided against it.

I don''t buy clothes online and never from TKMaxx,

Didiusfalco Fri 01-Jan-16 08:52:17

I'm in. I have to. My SMP runs out at the end of Jan. i bought a couple of bits in the sale, including boots which are hopefully going to last me, but thats it now. I dont stockpile beauty products so will have to replace those but staying away from clothes!

Ememem84 Fri 01-Jan-16 08:58:22

I'm joining. But with a few exceptions if that's ok.

I will replace if necessary things are required (underwear shoes etc).

And have about £200 vouchers to spend. So will update wardrobe with these. Vouchers = free right....?

I shouldn't need anything new. I have enough clothes. And definetly have enough beauty products.

Roonerspism Fri 01-Jan-16 09:04:40

Can I join please? I really need an incentive.

Am I allowed to replace moisturiser?!

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Fri 01-Jan-16 09:50:02

Hmm I might need to replace underwear too ememem. Definitely okay for shoes though. When not on mat leave I work in a shoe shop so I'm over run with the things!

I don't do make up really (too lazy!) and just use cheap skincare stuff so I shouldn't be tempted there

Em vouchers are excempt I reckon (I have M&S gift vouchers, I bought some Neales Yard and kept the rest for later)

On some of these threads I have £60 to spend in M&S, what should I buy types , alot of the answers are "Oh, M&S food......."

Heck no, they have nice beauty things, underwear (that doesn't fall off my hips and go up my bum at the same time <<glares at Sainsburys knickers>> ) and gorgeous jumpers.

I'm keeping mine till I see something I really want (they are valid a good while)

Ememem84 Fri 01-Jan-16 10:36:18

I have an m&s voucher for about £30. From my god mother. Just for me. Instructions were to buy myself something.

She also send us a joint voucher (again m&s) £50 with instructions to "have dinners on her" so that ones earmarked for food. Obviously.

there's nothing much I need at the moment so will hold on to it.

Also have £30 to spend in next. And £150 for local department store. So I'm all set for new clothes. If I see something I fancy.

legohurtswhenyoustandonit Fri 01-Jan-16 10:48:04

I'll join. I don't need any clothes except for ones for work, so I will allow myself a few purchases.

Pheobe1 Fri 01-Jan-16 10:54:18

I'll join in, I would really love to take my school to New York next Christmas. If I really cut down on clothes spending I think we could afford it.

Pheobe1 Fri 01-Jan-16 10:55:27

No I won't be taking the school to NY just my Dc. Strange auto correct there

rageagainsttheBIL Fri 01-Jan-16 11:19:39

Was going to say Phoebe, that's quite some clothes budget!

I'm in, with a few exceptions:

Nursing bras & vest, and possibly nursing dress, which I will buy near due date

Smart shoes for work - last pair I bought was 3+ years ago and they're really scruffy

Underwear, if/when it needs replacing

Replacing moisturiser, make up, cleanser etc as it runs out (but I have quite a lot to use first)

Oh and £20 in vouchers I have for a frivolous treat.

Hoping to spend no more than £150 on the above in total...

Neveradullm0ment Fri 01-Jan-16 11:26:02

I was going to have a blow out - new suit (I'm hoping to start my own company this year) leather leggings, jeans, shoes, t shirt and trousers - and then nothing till 1 December. Wondering if I'm cheating if I get them today. I have no suit and I've got jeans for sale on eBay. Tell me - am I cheating if I start today?!!

Saurus72 Fri 01-Jan-16 12:05:19

I'm committing to no new clothes/shoes/ jewellery in January and February to start with. I love clothes etc and don't want to have a whole year of not buying them but I do want to stop shopping as a hobby/because I'm bored. I think a few no spend months throughout the year will be a good start and a move towards more considered acquisition of new stuff - thinking about what I actually need in my wardrobe as opposed to responding to a marketing email.

I posted on a different thread yesterday that I have been writing down all the clothes and shoes I had bought each month for the past few years. Looking back, it is clear to see that I make stupid purchases at certain times and it would be better to wait until the new collections actually come into the shops and purposefully adding a few lovely things to my wardrobe instead of buying relentlessly, pretty much every week. Feel v nervous as I know I will find it very challenging which I guess is the point - I estimate that it is at least 10 years since a whole month has gone past without buying clothes hmm

Donge13 Fri 01-Jan-16 19:57:40

Refused the usual Trafford centre trip today smile

mumsnit Fri 01-Jan-16 20:42:28

I'm in for the next 6 months at least and then mindful spending after that. I'm not going to buy anything on a whim or that I don't need. I feel like Saurus ^^ as have bought a lot of clothes recently, most of which I've been disappointed with in one way or another. Either they haven't gone with anything else in my wardrobe or washed well etc

Went through my emails this morning and unsubscribed to all the retail ones!! That way I won't get tempted grin

Now I just have to keep away from the shops!

Neveradullm0ment Fri 01-Jan-16 20:52:58

Right I've bought some basics - two t shirts a black skirt, boyfriend jeans and black trousers - all half price in the sale and needed for work. I have enough shoes and I will consider a suit if and when the occasion needs it. I may have to buy some sports bras later in the spring. I had wanted some leather leggings but only if I sell my old ones that no longer fit. I will need to be very strong x

Roonerspism Fri 01-Jan-16 21:09:24

What is mindful spending?!

Saurus72 Fri 01-Jan-16 23:27:47

My take on mindful spending is that it is about identifying (genuine) gaps in your wardrobe and buying that item only - purposefully setting out to buy only that. It isn't idly looking for random stuff to buyonline when you're bored in the evening, nor is it going shopping on a Saturday for entertainment as opposed to needing something. I am guilty of both of these things, hence needing to have a break in shopping in the hope I can think more carefully about what I am buying and why.
Other people may have different views on it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now