New Year's Res to cleanse my face properly! Tips please for effective but quick methods

(15 Posts)
Jemster Thu 31-Dec-15 12:09:06

I'm ashamed to say I never cleanse my face properly & although I've got away with it for years my 40 year old face is starting to look a little worse for wear! My skin looks pale, feels dry, I have dark circles under the eyes & darkness on the above eye area.

I normally just wash face in the shower each morning and use a scrub when I remember. I don't wear loads of make up & most of it seems to have come off by the end of the day so I don't remove it properly.

I have some money for Christmas so I can treat myself to some products but don't know what to get. My skin is pretty sensitive & I do like Clarins.

Please could I have some suggestions for simple but effective skin care routines, if it's not simple I'm not likely to do it.

iwantgin Thu 31-Dec-15 12:20:44

I am possiblynot the best person to answer this - but I don't really 'cleanse' as such either.

If I have worn mascara - then I use the Nivea eye make up remover which you have to shake up prior to use - I find that gets off waterproof mascara really well - even Benefit They're Real mascara.

Face - well I use bar soap in the shower on make up free face in the morning - I currently like a plain Petit Marsellais soap which I bought in France. If I have worn any face make up (v rare) then I use Cetaphil moisturiser just massaged in then rinsed off.

Very simple - minimal financial layout - so more likely to be kept up to.

Works for me - and I am older than you ;)

FelicityFixIt Thu 31-Dec-15 12:21:47

Loads of advice and tips over at MrsGloss&TheGoss if you're on Facebook?

Queenbean Thu 31-Dec-15 12:23:23

The biggest difference to my skin was to reduce sugar intake massively and increase healthy fats (avocados, nuts, olive oil). It did something that hundreds of pounds of treatments couldn't do

VegetablEsoup Thu 31-Dec-15 12:25:40

to remove mascara - cotton pad loo roll and any mousuriser.
then bar of soap/lather and wash off with flannel.
mousturise.

BeaufortBelle Thu 31-Dec-15 12:27:57

No 7 three in one wipes. Fabulous. £7 for 30. With a £5 voucher and three for two offer £9 for three packs. But they are worth full price.

And giving up alcohol.

superbfairywren Fri 01-Jan-16 12:40:11

I like the simple wipes at night then a little cocoa butter to stop skin drying out. Then in the shower/when I remember I have the superdrug naturally radiant hot cloth cleanser which I really like. Then cocoa butter as my moisturiser again(its so rich so I use a tiny amount daily then more for after sun exposure/when skin is chapped from wind etc). Have been using the ren flash rinse one minute facial as got it in my advent calendar and that's really lovely.

FreeButtonBee Fri 01-Jan-16 12:45:53

I like Clinique take the day off balm / buy a load of flannels from primark and use a new one every day. It's rich so you don't need much over the top after if you ant be bothered.

I like micellar water if I haven't worn makeup or been out too much. i avoid face wipes as j don't like the residue they leave.

Am still looking for a great face wash for the am - currently using a Korean powder wash which is very convenient but still leaves me a little dry so the hunt continues.

girlguide123 Fri 01-Jan-16 14:12:26

Liz earle hot cloth cleanser is good - or ultra balm by lush for the same thing.

micellar cleansing water is good - I like the garnier one.

I had one of those cleansing brushes, but not convinced on how clean the brush stays, so chucked it. I prefer using the cloths with the hot cloth cleanser, easier to clean.

chipsandpeas Fri 01-Jan-16 14:23:39

dont use wipes they arent that great for your skin

i use clinique take the day off balm or soap and glory cleanser or sometimes both depending on how much make up i have had on

Rainbowglow Fri 01-Jan-16 14:38:13

I use micellar water to remove makeup. Currently using Bioderma and then follow this with a balm cleanser. At the moment its the pixi one but I have used most of balm cleansers. Takes about 3-4 minutes. I then follow with lots of other things but I am a product junkie.

ChoclolateOrange Fri 01-Jan-16 14:51:53

I've never understood the notion that wipes aren't good for your skin.

I use the Simple cleansing wipes or whatever similar product Boots have on offer. They are so easy to use when you are tired at night, no water or liquid dripping all over the place and you can really get up to the hairline and around the neck.

The key to good skin once it is cleansed is a good moisturiser. Why not treat yourself to something like the Clarins Double Serum just to give you skin a boost? I got some for Christmas and I'm impressed so far. Alternatively something from the Avene range would be good for your sensitive skin. I like the Skin Recovery Cream.

ImperialBlether Fri 01-Jan-16 15:33:53

I recommend Vichy - you can buy it in Boots and on Amazon. If you get the cleanser, toner and moisturiser and use it morning and night for a month, you'll notice a hell of a difference.

wonderpants Fri 01-Jan-16 17:17:41

I was in the same position 6 months ago and have managed to get the following routine going.

Eye make up remover
Micellar water
Simple cleanser wiped off with hot damp flannel
Swipe with clearasil pad
Aldi serum
Aldi eye cream
Aldi day/ night cream

It has made so much difference to my skin without me spending much money.

JapanNextYear Fri 01-Jan-16 17:43:02

No7 cleansing balm and a face flannel in the morning in the shower. Like you I don't weAr much make up so don't bother at night. Started when I was 40 and it made a difference so much that people commented.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now