Do 'going out' tops exist anymore?

(11 Posts)
JoanGalt Wed 30-Dec-15 17:03:28

When I was younger a typical pub/club outfit was jeans, heels and an interesting top.
I went shopping today for a going out outfit and everywhere I went everything was the same brown, dowdy, shapeless crap. I couldn't find anything interesting or exciting at any of the main high street shops.

It left me feeling very old and out of touch!

So what do you wear for an evening out and where do you get it from?

I'm a size 16 with big hips but a defined waist so I'd like something a bit fitted. My stomach is huge though and legs are pretty 'solid' too. Arms nice and flabby too so sleeves are a must. Oh and I'm 36 so nothing too frumpy.

After 4 hours of shopping I found nothing remotely suitable confused

oneowlgirl Wed 30-Dec-15 17:14:45

That's a very good point Op, you're right - not seen a going out top in a long time.

I wear dresses these days on nights out with heels (I'm 39).

ButImNotTheOnlyOne Wed 30-Dec-15 17:20:49

They look a bit frumpy now I think.
Dress looks better.

JoanGalt Wed 30-Dec-15 17:27:26

I looked at dresses as well but they were either very fitted sleeveless ones more suitable for an office or really short and for teenagers or shapeless tents.

I tend to go out to quite 'trendy' places in East London and I don't see many women wearing dresses. I'm so untrendy it's painful

Can I ask where you get your dresses from?

oneowlgirl Wed 30-Dec-15 17:51:23

My dresses are mainly Phase 8 or Ted Baker (or Karen Millen if I can afford them). I'm a size 12 & hate the tops of my arms too, so generally get dressed where these are covered.

msrisotto Wed 30-Dec-15 21:16:49

I got a nice 'going out' top from Ted Baker recently. They're all a bit high or round necked for my liking though. Nothing v necked at the moment.

burnishedsilver Wed 30-Dec-15 21:21:16

At the moment I'm into skirts for going out. With something love a leather pencil skirt you can get away with a really plain top.

burnishedsilver Wed 30-Dec-15 21:21:55

Like, not love.

MissMogwi Thu 31-Dec-15 02:49:11

Have a look at pepperberry ( part of Bravissimo)

Can be pricey, but worth the cost as they fit so well. I'm a 12-14 with big boobs and small waist so struggle for well fitting clothes. I've got loads of nice stuff from there.

Check eBay too I've had some absolute bargains.

MissMogwi Thu 31-Dec-15 02:50:25

Sorry meant to add, most tops have v or scoop neck so more flattering.

SinglePringle Thu 31-Dec-15 03:01:41

Have a look at & Other Stories. I got a great silk shirt in there. Wear it undone low with a black bra (it's hot pink) and either black skinny jeans / leather trousers (they are very tight but not leggings) or have also worn with slim fitted culottes. All with either heeled boots or stilettos. Big gold hoops and a lot of lip gloss! I've also got a black glitter bra I wear under it - again, undone so it shows slightly. Think disco / 70's.

Am also often out in Bethnal Green / Hackney way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now