foundation

(19 Posts)
DownByTheOcean Wed 30-Dec-15 09:26:44

Sure this has been asked many times but am going shopping today and need to know what foundation I should be buying. I am looking for good coverage, not too heavy. I always seem to end up with slightly wrong colour, currently using Lancôme teint miracle 02 but it's too pinky, I also like Chanel vitalumiere but again had slightly wrong colour and was too pale so I always seem to change. I used to love Clinique but I wanted something more dewey and I'm not sure this suits my skin. I've been recommended Estée Lauder double wear, I'm also interested in looking at illamasqua, Bobbi brown but am cautious of mac as I like good coverage without looking like it! I have heard Mac pressed powder is good though.....so foundation and powder recommendations would be appreciated. TIA

Kennington Wed 30-Dec-15 09:41:41

How about a light timted moisturiser plus a good concealer - then it looks dewy.
Double wear can be mask like.
Laura mercies tm is nice - I wear for evenings out and then just slap on some thicker Clarins concealer on the really red bits.
Sorry if this really isn't helpful.
By the way I use Dior glow max and this is great for older skin for dewiness! No coverage though.

HeyMicky Wed 30-Dec-15 09:54:37

I am LOVING Too Faced Born this Way. I thought it might be too "yoof" for me - 35, dehydrated skin - but it's brilliant. Lovely and light but builds well - I have freckles and it does a good job of evening them out

eternalopt Wed 30-Dec-15 10:45:28

Place marking as I'll be shopping for the same thing soon and fancy something a bit more dewey/illuminating than my Clinique super balanced usual stuff.

EL double wear is really heavy. Stays put though, but I didn't like the feel of it. I wore it to cover the red at the tops of my arms when I got married. They'll give you a decent sized tester to take home at their counters though to try it for yourself, so I didn't actually have to buy any for my purposes.

Wolpertinger Wed 30-Dec-15 11:34:28

If you want dewy Double Wear is way to heavy - you should be heading in a tinted moisturiser/BB cream/Aqualumiere direction.

DownByTheOcean Wed 30-Dec-15 13:55:13

Will look at too faced thanks, I'm 35 and need coverage and moisture as skin can be red and dehydrated. I'm not sure dewey is the correct description, I just want a nice even hydrated complexion, haha probably too much to ask. Shopping deferred until tomorrow so will do some more research.

KP86 Wed 30-Dec-15 14:01:40

Go to the John Lewis make up section and ask for advice.

Goingcrazy Wed 30-Dec-15 21:59:10

YSL touché eclat foundation is really good too. It gives a reasonable coverage without looking or feeling heavy.

FuckyNell Wed 30-Dec-15 22:05:16

The original bare minerals is good

BritabroadinAsia Thu 31-Dec-15 00:14:18

I love Vitalumiere aqua, but the colour I bought only works when my skin is paler in winter...that said, it's one of the lighter shades and I'm an olive skinned brunette. So can you persist with it but try out a few of the other shades? Sounds like it's the right level of coverage for what you are looking for.

vanillabeauty Thu 31-Dec-15 00:26:42

Dewy, benefit hello flawless oxygen wow.

Xoticdreamz Thu 31-Dec-15 00:37:19

Dior forever flawless is really good

LaurieFairyCake Thu 31-Dec-15 00:39:10

Armani silk foundation

I've just changed from Vitalumiere to this and it's double the coverage - found Vitalumiere too light now

The double wear is too mask like for me

clippityclop Thu 31-Dec-15 00:56:55

I tried Double Wear, then DW light and found even that too chalky. Now using Boots No 7 Instant Radiance and love it.

Firsteverchangeofname Thu 31-Dec-15 00:59:00

Ysl touché Clait foundation.

I've used all the ones you mention and keep going back to it.

GhoulishGertie Thu 31-Dec-15 01:01:29

I treated dd (15) to a foundation consultation at MAC this week - make up artist was brilliant and tried out loads of options and talked her through them. I'm going to deviate from my usual Clinique counter and go MAC next time - expertise and range of products was so impressive.

maxxytoe Thu 31-Dec-15 07:21:35

I second too faced born this way ! It's gorgeous

miniswin Thu 31-Dec-15 10:05:38

Second vote for Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk, however actually my absolute fav is a properly colour matched Mac Pro-Longwear. I would argue that an awful lot of what the 'finish' of a foundation is like is to do with how you apply it - I put mine on with a beauty blender - damp or dry, doesn't seem to matter, and either of the above are good coverage but dewy. Mac colour matching can be a bit hit and miss in my experience though, so I would be careful to see it in daylight before buying.

DownByTheOcean Sat 02-Jan-16 10:28:59

Thanks for all the advice, I went to Mac in the end and studio sculpt which lady felt was good match for me, best colour match I have had actually. Also have a real techniques sponge which I'm putting it on with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now