Can you tell me, if my vit c serum had started to go brown. .

(8 Posts)
lborgia Tue 29-Dec-15 03:04:46

...Do i just chuck it out and cry?

I bought it about 4 months ago, but the intervening weeks have not been kind and I'm only just got on with my attempt to look after my skin. Again.

The serum is definitely darker than when I bought it, which I realise is a sign it's oxidized.

All the other lotions and potions are goodsmile

Kennington Tue 29-Dec-15 08:20:08

Vit c is quite unstable in solution I vaguely remember from chemistry days - you could whip some vit c solution up from Internet recipies on the web
A clear bottle is prob not the best way to store a vit c solution for a long period of time
Sorry if not a lot of help! Am at the hairdressers.....

lborgia Tue 29-Dec-15 09:55:49

Thanks Kennington - It's in a dark brown bottle, so it's not that. I thought it would only be good for 6 months or so, but I'm surprised it's gone so fast. Lucky you at the hairdressers smile

Anymore chemists Caroline Hiron addicts out there?

PitPatKitKat Tue 29-Dec-15 10:13:32

Chuck it, sorry. fsad

Cerseirys Tue 29-Dec-15 11:30:06

A trick I do is to wrap some duct tape around the bottle so that it's a bit more protected from the light.

CarpetDiem Tue 29-Dec-15 11:34:54

All lotions and potions with vit c in react to light.
They usually look a bit like fake tan around the lid, so if this has happened then fine but if it's the full bottle then discard.

lurkingabit Tue 29-Dec-15 11:39:50

Chuck. V hard to get a long-lasting bit c serum. It is so unstable.

lborgia Tue 29-Dec-15 19:55:52

Oh dear. I squinted at actually read the bottle. .it said it didn't make any difference but i don't believe it.

Well glug it goes then.

Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now