a serum for combination skin?

(12 Posts)
EwanHoozami Mon 28-Dec-15 20:53:06

I have rough cheeks, congested t-zone and spotty jaw and chin. My skin's only redeeming feature is that at coming up to 40 I don't really have any lines.

I can't use moisturisers or creams as they make me greasy. I feel like a serum might sort me out.

Can anyone recommend one for not too many £££? smile

Shutthatdoor Mon 28-Dec-15 20:54:12

I love the new bodyshop one.

EwanHoozami Mon 28-Dec-15 21:20:24

I've not bought anything from BS for donkeys years. Are they getting good at face stuff again then?

hollieberrie Tue 29-Dec-15 00:15:11

My son is oily with visible pores and i have a Paulas choice one for oily / combo skin that suits me well, it has retinol in too which is a bonus. I'll find a link

hollieberrie Tue 29-Dec-15 00:16:26

Ha. My skin , not my son!

hollieberrie Tue 29-Dec-15 00:18:15

www.paulaschoice.co.uk/skin-balancing-super-antioxidant-concentrate-serum.html

hollieberrie Tue 29-Dec-15 00:19:25

Are you acid toning after cleansing? That's what has really sorted my skin out to be honest.

EwanHoozami Tue 29-Dec-15 09:43:54

poor oily son grin

I've been using clearasil toner blush that's probably not good, is it?

Not heard of Paula's choice, I wonder if they charge shipping for samples. Off to investigate, thanks hb

Shop Tue 29-Dec-15 10:31:48

Superdrug clearly youthful day serum smile

lurkingabit Tue 29-Dec-15 11:48:56

Get one with an acid - glycolic or salicylic. If you're spotty salicylic acid is better. Paula's choice do one, as do (I think) Bravura London. 1-2% is a good concentration. The clearasil one you're using may well contain salicylic acid but salicylic acid needs a certain pH to be active. Afaik, none of the clearasil ones are at this pH, so are inactive. Also they have a lot of harsh alcohol.

Glycolic acid is also good for smoothing skin. Olay do a night serum, can't think of the name, comes in a red box and bottle. It's good, has a decent amount of glycolic and a few antioxidants. I'm sure Paula's choice and Bravura London do ones too.

Cheesymonster Tue 29-Dec-15 15:08:21

I use clearasil 5 in 1 pads to acid tone which have been recommended on here. I prefer the nip+fab dragons blood ones though.

Wolpertinger Tue 29-Dec-15 15:23:42

If you can afford it, Paulas Choice 2% BHA is amazing for spotty skin as is her retinol product. You need a salicylic acid and a retinol more than you need a serum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now