What hair products for keeping styles in really silky hair

(15 Posts)
WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Mon 28-Dec-15 12:37:10

Arrrrgh, my hair is so silky that it doesn't hold a style. My hairdresser used straighteners to create messy waves and it looked lovely...for all of about 2 hours!sad I'm hoping to recreate the look myself (when my straighteners arrive) but at the moment am only rough drying it to try and create texture, but even with 2 lots of strong hold mousse and hairspray it just goes poker straight. It's like bloody teflon! Can anyone recommend products that will hold waves in place for a whole day (and preferably longer)?

Also, should I stop using conditioner when I wash my hair? It's colour treated and shoulder length so I think I should use it, but maybe it's making it worse!confused

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Mon 28-Dec-15 12:55:50

Meant to add, nothing expensive please.

RenardeRenarde Mon 28-Dec-15 15:39:57

My hair is the same, nice and shiny and soft but doesnt hold a curl (or even grip a Bobby pin!) I like root powders for boost and grippyness (I just have a cheapy from Boots, they're all pretty similar) and salt spray for curls. I think my salt spray is the Loreal one, it was about £6 from memory.

I like dry shampoo too to help hold styles but unfortunately all these things take a bit of shine out.

BahHumbugs Mon 28-Dec-15 15:54:35

I got pantene clarifying shampoo yesterday, as mine gets to soft and greasy looking with nourishing shampoos. I have to wash it everday, I tried it last night & it seems ok today.

How about just spraying some leave in conditioner on the very ends, instead of a thick conditiiner?

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Mon 28-Dec-15 16:21:34

Renarde, thanks. Oh god, yes to not holding a grip! Stuff just seems to slide off of my hairhmm I've found the sea salt spray quite good, but dulls the shine too which is a shame. I'll give it a go with the straighteners when they arrive. I'll look into the root boost powders too because I've heard before they have good staying power!

Bah, thanks. Is clarifying shampoo non-moisturising then? I have a feeling I'm too nice to my hair and maybe should stop using nourishing shampoos and conditioners because my hair might not need them. It's fine and doesn't feel dry in any way. Maybe some spray PVA glue would do the job wink

BahHumbugs Mon 28-Dec-15 17:12:47

The clarifying shampoo helps to remove old products I think, that could be making hair heavy,

This looks helpful - but a mission!

www.allure.com/hair-ideas/2015/how-to-make-your-curls-last

LoadsaBlusher Mon 28-Dec-15 18:45:19

Charles Worthington Volume Texturising spray is good.
AlsoDryshampoo ruffled through your hair.
Would it help to not wash your hair on the day that u are going to curl it.
I find my hair holds a curl/wave better when unwashed/ with dry shampoo/ bit of the Charles Worthington speay and then Elnette too

Crunchycookie Mon 28-Dec-15 18:57:04

I have very fine and silky hair. I have found that Tesco's mouse in a purple canister holds it really well. I was given babyliss curl secret for Christmas and my curls hold all day which is amazing for my hair. It's a combination of the two.

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Mon 28-Dec-15 20:07:50

Great tutorial, thanks Bahsmile Step one, no conditioner!

Loadsa, is the texturising spray like sea salt spray?

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Mon 28-Dec-15 20:18:03

Crunchy, that looks like an instrument of torturegrin Is it easy to use? I've just ordered the adjustable Bed Head "A Wave We Go" deep waver plus the Babyliss thin straighteners for when I want a less uniform result. Can't wait for them to arrive.

EwanHoozami Mon 28-Dec-15 20:55:40

Dry shampoo can add a bit of grip before styling. Or just plain old cornstarch.

LoadsaBlusher Mon 28-Dec-15 20:57:44

I find it's quite different to sea salt spray , it's a drier more powdery texture, but not as powdery as dry shampoo.
I use it more for up dos for my work but also use it for beachy waves.
Just gives hair a bit more grip ...

sky1010 Mon 28-Dec-15 20:59:55

You need texturiser, not mousse. The weight of the mousse makes the hair drop.

LoadsaBlusher Mon 28-Dec-15 21:00:00

Also another thing that works for me is using sea salt spray ( I use the Toni and Guy one in the grey pump action bottle ) on damp hair then blow drying as normal and that really " oomphs" my hair up a bit.

So it may give your hair a bit of grip too ?

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Tue 29-Dec-15 20:24:20

Thanks for all the tipssmile I've already got some T&G sea salt spray and corn starch so will experiment. Can't wait for my tools to arrive!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now