Colour b4 hair colour remover - advice please

(15 Posts)
jenniflur89 Sun 20-Dec-15 21:58:49

So I was having full heads of bleach highlights for about a year and had a bleech bath on my hair before my hairdresser dyed it grey/silver. I liked it the first time but its not evenly covered my hair. The second time she done it I said to go a bit darker hoping it would cover my blonde. Now it's too dark and I can still see blonde at the ends so I've had enough and want my blonde hair back!!

If I use colour b4, will my hair return to the blonde I have under this dark greyish dye? My friend gave me 2 boxes of regular strength but from a bit of reading I think I may need extra strength? And possibly an ash blonde semi dye incase colour b4 turns my hair a funny colour and if it does how long to I wait to dye?

So many questions, would be great to hear advice before I take the plunge as I think it will be a very time consuming job!!!

chipsandpeas Sun 20-Dec-15 22:09:58

id be interested in a simialr question so sorry for hijacking
im pretty much grey now, but been dying it dark brown for ages, if i used colour b4 would i go to grey or would it just remove some of the brown dye

(i want to go a few shades lighter and would prefer something like this than bleaching)

IWannaHoldYourHand Sun 20-Dec-15 22:28:20

I have no idea about the colour side of things, but colour b4 left my hair so dry it was more horrific than the awful colour it was before.

I know others who haven't had it ruin their hair though.

Mrsunders86 Sun 20-Dec-15 22:45:59

If it's got grey/silver tone to it now then you probably won't remove all of that with the stripper so an ash blonde semi will re-emphasise the silver grey tones and undo the stripper.. If you want to try it my best advice would be to go for it with the stripper, follow instructions carefully and then go to get a toner once you see the result of the stripper, you may find you need a warmer blonde to balance it. wear a hat to the shop if it looks grim.

jenniflur89 Sun 20-Dec-15 23:16:22

Thanks Mrsunders86 I think I'll leave it till the new year till I give it a go. I'm more worried about wasting my time with the hair stripper as it sounds like a lengthy process confused
I think I'll give it a go anyway and make sure I've got a hat ready to brave the shops if it's a disaster. X

Youvegottobekidding Mon 21-Dec-15 00:29:14

Try the vitamin c & shampoo hair dye removal method first - Google it to see how to do it - all you need is a tube of efferescent vitamin c tablets & a bottle of clarifying shampoo, or vosene or head & shoulders!

CaptainKit Mon 21-Dec-15 00:37:10

I tried the regular strength one on faded blue/pink hair and it did nothing. Well, I say it did nothing - it left my bathroom smelling absolutely disgusting for days, but it did nothing to my hair. Wouldn't be tempted to go for the stronger version in future - will just go straight to bleach.

Might be different on yours, but I don't recommend it.

Youve's vitamin C concoction sounds interesting, might have to give that a try next time I fancy a change.

jenniflur89 Mon 21-Dec-15 07:29:11

Thanks youvegottobekidding I think I'll try the vitiman c and shampo method first. If anything it could also lighten my hair so I can use the regular b4 colour stripper. I have 2 boxes here and it would be a shame to have to buy the extra strength!

It's annoying isn't it Captinkit you never know how it will work your own hair. I think some it does and some it doesn't. My hair is a bob so I don't mind using bleech but I don't want to spend a fortune in the hairdressers!!

Youvegottobekidding Mon 21-Dec-15 10:24:23

Also with colour b4, there's always the chance of your hair re-oxidising, which means after you've done it, over a period of a couple of days your hair begins to go dark again, it happened to me twice, and they claim it's because you haven't rinsed your hair long enough but I rinsed mine for 20 mins! Defo try the vit c method, use a few more tablets than suggested & really make sure they are crushed into a fine powder, those clear shower caps are handy, but cling film also does the job!

jenniflur89 Thu 24-Dec-15 10:59:36

Thank you so much youvegottobekidding I'll let you know how I get on. Trying this in the new year smile

YoScience Thu 24-Dec-15 11:24:23

My DD dyed her blonde hair black and tried to fix it with extra strength colour b4.

We followed all the instructions including rinsing for aaaages but her hair ended up with the colouring and texture of a German shepherd's coat!! It wasn't pretty! A year later and several treatments from a good hairdresser and it is still orangey! But hers was quite an extreme case! grin

jenniflur89 Thu 24-Dec-15 17:14:50

Oh no!! Well my hair is dyed grey and was quite dark but I've washed twice since starting this post and its faded so hoping the vitiman c will work as it sounds like the more natural way to fade hair. Thanks everyone. Merry Christmas fsmile

MeganChips Thu 24-Dec-15 17:30:19

I've had great results with the colour B4 extra strength, with just one application.

I went from black to light brown. It was a bit brassy but silver shampoo sorted it out.

It did oxidise a bit but it was still several shades lighter than it had been.

I don't believe it works on dyed blonde so hopefully you should be near back to normal.

Good luck.

jenniflur89 Sun 27-Dec-15 21:28:54

Thanks MeganChips. I've been washing my hair a bit more than normal to try and fade it until i have time to strip it, which is helping make it lighter already. So hoping the vitiman c thing works and if not I'll try colour b4. The vitiman c thing sounds quicker and more natural than colour b4 so got to give that a go first.

Thanks for all the advice x

jenniflur89 Sat 27-Feb-16 11:20:24

So I thought I would say in the end I was to scared to try a home stripping kit and didn't have the time and couldn't really be bothered (if I'm honest) to try the vitiman c either!

I put a dark brown home dye over the grey (thinking this would cover my hair) and it only took to the roots and was patchy and awful!!

So in the end I went back to my original hairdresser and forked out over £100 for an ombré hair do and cut and since all this, I will never mess with my hair at home again. It's so damaged now, took up so much time and money!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now