wedding outfit suitable for breastfeeding

(8 Posts)
hazelnutlatte Mon 02-Nov-15 06:30:13

Got a wedding to go to in a few weeks and due to having a small baby I've been distracted and haven't thought about what to wear!
I would normally prefer to wear a dress but don't have anything I can breastfeed in. Probably a skirt and top would be better but it's hard to find something that feels 'weddingy' enough!
Does anyone have any suggestions? The wedding isn't too formal and I'm short and a size 10-12.

superbfairywren Mon 02-Nov-15 15:08:08

Any wrap dress would work or a skirt and top if you feel more comfortable that way. I wore a lindybop ophelia to a couple of things this summer and breastfed fine. I also have a few breastfeeding specific dresses which work well but never felt very weddingy. Have a look on eBay for nursing dresses and you might find something suitable. If you want something a bit fancier and money isn't an issue then Tiffany rose and seraphine normally have some beautiful wrap dresses for nursing. They were just too pricey for me, couldn't warrant the cost for a couple of wears. Good luck!

hazelnutlatte Mon 02-Nov-15 17:56:16

Thanks for the reply, those Lindybop dresses look lovely! Not normally my style but as I now have big boobs for the first time in my life that sort of dress might just suit me! Very cheap too, are they reasonable quality?
Wrap dresses in general don't usually suit me as I'm short in the body so the wrap bit is usually too low cut, and the length is usually below the knee which looks frumpy on me. I suppose I should go out and try a few, somewhere must do them in petite!
The Tiffany Rose dresses also look nice but for that price I'd want something I could wear lots.

LovelyBranches Mon 02-Nov-15 18:55:17

I wore separates. Much easier to wear something that still felt like 'me' but still able to feed with.

superbfairywren Tue 03-Nov-15 12:42:25

The Ophelia is the only lindybop dress I have but its really lovely quality, the material has stretch to it but its quite heavy weight, I haven't had to iron it and its been worn and washed(hung up to dry) a good five times now. I was sceptical because of the price but I really wanted something new for a wedding that didn't cost too much but that I could wear again. I was chuffed with the dress. The size guide was a bit out for me. I went with what I thought but their online sizing indicated I should buy 2 sizes bigger than I did. So i recommend you just buy your usual size.

There are a few designs in the sale at the moment and they have a couple of other dresses which would work for breastfeeding if that's not quite your style. They even have a blog post about it: lindylife.lindybop.co.uk/top-dress-picks-for-nursing-mums/

superbfairywren Tue 03-Nov-15 12:43:15

Also the Ophelia has hidden pockets, which are just about my favourite thing in skirts and dresses!

Diddlydokey Tue 03-Nov-15 12:52:47

www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/tops-443/blouses-1759424/tie-wrap-blouse-4606159?bi=20&ps=20

with a nursing vest underneath and a nice prom skirt

www.asos.com/asos/asos-midi-prom-skirt-in-chevron-with-zip-detail/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5650185&clr=Yellowblack&SearchQuery=prom+skirt&pgesize=36&pge=0&totalstyles=36&gridsize=3&gridrow=2&gridcolumn=2

www.asos.com/little-mistress/little-mistress-all-over-lace-midi-prom-skirt/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5031671&clr=Black&SearchQuery=prom+skirt&pgesize=36&pge=0&totalstyles=36&gridsize=3&gridrow=9&gridcolumn=3

I love this dress!

www.asos.com/whistles/whistles-shirt-dress-in-mosaic-print/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5155891&clr=Greenmulti&SearchQuery=shirt+dress&pgesize=36&pge=1&totalstyles=270&gridsize=3&gridrow=1&gridcolumn=2

www.asos.com/warehouse/warehouse-nouveau-print-shirt-dress/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5713175&clr=Multi&SearchQuery=shirt+dress&pgesize=36&pge=2&totalstyles=270&gridsize=3&gridrow=5&gridcolumn=1

hazelnutlatte Wed 04-Nov-15 17:21:16

I like that topshop blouse thanks, but couldn't wear it with a prom skirt. I'd need a tight top with a prom skirt I think. Not keen on those shirt dresses at all!
I'm tempted to order something from Lindybop - I've never worn that style before but it could work with my new body shape.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now