Dehydrated skin - which serum and moisturiser do you use?

(79 Posts)
Lottapianos Wed 30-Sep-15 09:37:20

I'm currently using Superdrug Simply Hydrating Serum which costs about �3 a bottle and is rather marvellous. It does everything you want a serum to do for dehydrated skin - plumping, smoothing, hydrating, making skin feel like its had a good drink. I actually prefer it to the Vichy Aqualia serum that Sali Hughes raves about.

I use the moisturiser from the same range - Aqua Hydrating SPF 15 Day Cream and I like it a lot, although it could possibly be a bit richer. It is impossible to find in shops although is always available on the website. Superdrug really need to sort out their distribution.

I am just curious about what other people use to treat dehydration (fine lines, dullness, tightness). I may be persuaded to up my game a bit for the winter. Thanks smile

NotTodaySatan Wed 30-Sep-15 09:43:00

I have thirsty but not dry skin.

I didn't like the Vichy serum either. Too runny, odd smell and didn't do anything for my skin.

I now use the Nip + Fab Dragon's Blood serum and it's absolutely ace. It also has a slightly funky scent but it has changed my skin from a bit dry and dull to glowing, hydrated loveliness.

Moisturiser: I use a Sukin night cream that smells like Jaffa cakes and for daytime I'm currently using the Lancome Hydra Zen which I really like (it's ££ though sad).

Lottapianos Wed 30-Sep-15 09:51:33

Thanks NotTodaySatan - love your username!

I really like the Vichy Serum but didn't think it lived up to the hype. The Superdrug serum costs one sixth of the price and is even better IMO.

I have used the Dragon's Blood serum and liked it too. The smell is full on and I got a lot of tingling / light stinging when I applied it, but not in an unpleasant way.

Jaffa cake smell - hmmmmm..... intriguing! Hydra Zen sounds lovely although just looked up the price and �40 is a little bit ouchy smile

mrslebon Wed 30-Sep-15 10:08:38

I use the Superdrug serum too and think it's brill! For night time, have you tried this one? It's a bit more nourishing for overnight.

www.superdrug.com/Health/Medicated-Skin-Treatments/Medicated-Skin-Treatments/Superdrug-Clearly-Youthful-Resurfacing-Night-Serum-50ml/p/296801#.VguluflViko

I find it tricky to find in store as it's not usually near the other skincare but can be by the more teenage face wash stuff it that makes sense?

For day cream, I use this Eucerin one from Boots and I'm on my second bottle. It really is excellent - OK, it doesn't have a 'premium' scent but it sinks in well and is a great base for make up. I use the matching filler eye cream too.

www.boots.com/en/Eucerin-Hyaluron-Filler-Light-Day-Cream-50ml_1213624/

NotTodaySatan Wed 30-Sep-15 10:09:28

Have a look on Amazon for Sukin. It's an Australian brand. All organic/natural products with no nasties. I have the night cream, cleanser, and facial scrub and they're really lovely products and not expensive at all smile.

I don't think I'd repurchase the Hydra Zen. My skin is quite robust and isn't sensitive or prone to break outs so I like to try new products regularly.

Lottapianos Wed 30-Sep-15 10:12:42

I don't remember ever seeing that serum in Superdrug mrslebon so thanks for the tip grin. May add to the online order next time. Such excellent prices, I just wish they would stock these things in the actual shops!

mrslebon Wed 30-Sep-15 10:13:48

I think it's a relatively new range called Clearly Youthful. I've just bought the day serum actually to compare with the Simply Hydrating serum.

HoneywithLemon Wed 30-Sep-15 10:31:17

I can't recommend a serum but moisturiser-wise I use Liz Earle superskin - I think it's £38 but it last 3 months and is great. DH can tell when I've run out shock. I'm 47 btw.

BestBeforeDate Wed 30-Sep-15 10:36:01

I've never been loyal to a brand before, but I've been using the Una Brennan neroli range for about 18 months (serum, day cream, night cream) and now I'm scared to change to anything else, as my skin has been really good in that time.

It feels soft to the touch, never feels taut and I think it has more of a 'glow' than it did before. It's quite often on 3 for 2 in Boots, so I stock up then.

Lottapianos Wed 30-Sep-15 11:15:09

BestBefore, I love Una Brennan. I'm using the Neroli cleanser at the moment, as well as the Vitamin C Orange oil. Tried the Rose cleanser in the past as well and loved it.

BestBeforeDate Wed 30-Sep-15 11:33:19

Funnily enough, I prefer the rose cleanser to the neroli one; I don't know why, I think perhaps it's because it smells so lovely. I've also stopped using an eye cream and just smooth the serum round my eyes. My eyebags are much less noticeable, so eye cream was obviously too heavy.

Lottapianos Wed 30-Sep-15 11:41:28

Yes I do too - will be going back to the rose one when I finish the neroli. I also just use serum and normal moisturiser around my eyes. Sali Hughes swears there is no benefit to using an eye cream, and in fact it can be too heavy for the delicate eye area.

Sodder Wed 30-Sep-15 13:34:53

Another fan here of Superdrug Simply Hydrating Serum. Brilliant stuff - not sticky or gunky, soaks in easily and best of all is scentless which for me is very important as I cannot tolerate scent at all.

After realising that scent is a huge issue for me and that there are also lots of chemicals (I don't even know what they are!) in skincare that really cause my eyes to stream, I've gone back to basics regarding moisturisers. I've started using jojoba oil on my skin. It sinks in quickly and doesn't generate more oil. I think I'll be using a lot of it this winter. I get mine from a homeopathy shop on eBay. It's scentless too.

Two products I'd recommend are from the Waitrose range. These are both as cheap as chips and scentless too. No online ordering though:

www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=334249

www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=335655

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 30-Sep-15 13:40:54

I use the same Superdrug serum at night, but EL Advanced Night Repair during the day. I know that sounds a bit bonkers, but the Superdrug one doesn't seem to sit as well under makeup. Moisturiser-wise I like Clarins Hydraquench during the day, and am using a Nivea night cream for sensitive skin at night - I used to like the Superdrug Simply Pure night cream but they don't seem to do it now.

Sodder Wed 30-Sep-15 13:53:27

I'm also going to try the Cerave that so many on here rave about when I get round to ordering some.

takemebacktovenice Wed 30-Sep-15 13:54:34

Can't beat EL ANR serum imo. Just ordered another bottle in fact. For day time, I use the No 7 PP serum and quite like that. It's another beauty product that delivers less with time though. You know, when the initial 'wow!!' factor wears off slightly, when your skin gets used to it. On top of that, I use Olay Regenerist, but that's mainly for the high SPF (30) It's quite a heavy cream, but I like that and I let it sink in for a long time before applying foundation. About 30 minutes usually.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 30-Sep-15 18:05:17

Oooh I might try the Waitrose oil, I can go there this week.
I was trying to find the Aldi face oil online (not sure if they only stock them when there's a promtion on though?)

I need something quick to add to my night routine .

chanie44 Wed 30-Sep-15 18:27:45

I use the body shop vitamin e serum in oil and intense moisturiser.

Im interested in trying to superdrug hydrating serum during the day. I used to use the naturally radiant range, but it didn't do anything for me.

Glasspumpkin Wed 30-Sep-15 18:53:04

I've been using jojoba oil and rose hip oil which I love.

My skin is normally combination but my skin loves oil so much more than moisturiser and serum, it's never looked better.

I still use my effeclar duo about once a fortnight because it's what cleared up my skin so that I can now use oils.

If I'm wearing my clarins foundation for a night out I will wear either effeclar duo underneath it, or neutrogena oil free moisturiser.

Otherwise for daytime it's my oils and boujois CC cream or just a dab of collection concealer

JasperDamerel Wed 30-Sep-15 19:01:47

I use avocado oil for cleansing, Aldi serum and add rosehip oil at night.

Sodder Wed 30-Sep-15 19:21:02

Glasspumpkin

What do you cleanse with? Oil or something else?

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Wed 30-Sep-15 21:02:29

Another one using the Superdrug Simply serum. Best serum I have ever used.
I am using NY Frankincense facial oil at night (my Holy Grail) That or good old Astral.

Coastingit Wed 30-Sep-15 21:15:06

Nivea blue pot. The Vichy serum did absolutely nothing for me. I'm a serums sceptic - they don't provide anything a moisturiser can't. It's just a con to get to you to buy two products instead of one.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Thu 01-Oct-15 06:41:27

After reading CH, I'm coming round to thinking any old moisturiser will do, but a serum does make a difference. And when it's the £3 Superdrug one, what's not to like!
I think eye creams are definitely unnecessary though, and over the years I spent more on them in my search for the HG than anything, Chanel, Dior, Elemis etc etc. I haven't used one for about 2 yrs but after embracing doublecleansing/acid toning etc my skin has never looked better.
When I first used the Superdrug serum, I couldn't stop stroking my own face, I felt so smooth! grin
Chanie- after reading all the rave reviews about the Superdrug radiant range (esp about it being a dupe for Liz Earle) I bought loads of it- LE my arse! It smells chemically and just made my skin tight and scratchy. I did read after it's most suitable for young (so I guess generally oilier) skin. It definitely didn't suit me. Sadly I don't like the Vit E range either for the same reasons, but I love Body Shop Vit E and the cheap as chips Boots Vit E.

Floisme Thu 01-Oct-15 07:13:21

I have sensitive skin so don't experiment much but the products that work for me are almond oil, wheatgerm oil, Dr Organic Olive Oil range (Holland and Barett), Nivea in a blue pot (perfumed yet doesn't irritate my skin) and, when I'm feeling extravagant, Neal's Yard Frankinsense.

No serum - agree with Coastingit. I always read the adverts as, if serums really did something different, I think we can assume they would be shouting it from the rooftops. Yet once you get past the photo- shopped celeb and the cod science, all they claim to do is 'minimise the appearance of wrinkes'. That's exactly the same as a moisturiser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now