The annual "warm, waterproof & stylish" coat thread

(12 Posts)

My trusty merrell coat is not going to last another winter. Any recommendations for warm, waterproof and stylish?

PacificDogwod Tue 29-Sep-15 22:20:57

Oh, my Merrell is getting a bit long in the tooth too!

Is it wrong that I have been eyeing up the Land's End Commuter Coat?
It's probably too warm and not waterproof or stylish, but I keep going back to it.

I see you've spotted my Seasalt thread - I can't find anything better.

PacificDogwod Tue 29-Sep-15 22:24:46

This one blush

I've not seen that. I'll take a look. No such thing as 'too warm' I don't think smile

Yes English. It was your thread that inspired me to get ideas. The Seasalt one is gorgeous but I think I need something warmer.

ouryve Tue 29-Sep-15 22:28:26

I was eyeing up some Landsend coats when they landed on my doormat, this morning. My ageing winter coat is a mumsnet freebie Berghaus from 5 years ago! I definitely need warm, as I walk 3 miles most days, in all weathers. Need to avoid down, though - allergic.

I tried some North Face ones on, last year and they were far too long in the arm and slim in the waist and not accommodating of boobs. Also learnt that anything mid thigh length just looks too big for me. Need a low hip length or proper knee length.

I tried on a <whisper>seasalt</whisper> coat the other day and while its a lovely coat and fitted perfectly, it just wasn't me. I need something a little more rugged looking, I think.

I'm quite lucky in that I commute in the car and park outside work so can get away with something a bit lighter. I had a Northface a few years ago that was too warm for me so might do for you?

ouryve Tue 29-Sep-15 22:36:24

The seasalt one I tried on was the tiller coat - the blue was too bright for me, even though I liked it on the hanger, but that one doesn't come in black, unfortunately.

HeyMacWey Wed 30-Sep-15 09:20:18

I've got a merrell ava that I'm just about to stick on ebay if anyone wants to have a look at it? It's barely been worn as was to warm for me (am in the south) and has since been living in the loft - I think it's a large but will need to check. The ava was the predecessor to the ellenwood.

Allthatnonsense Wed 30-Sep-15 10:26:47

I have bought a Whistles wax parka.
The awful fur hood lining can be detached.
In my opinion it's light, waterproof (ish) and not in the style of a geography teacher.

louloubelle2 Wed 30-Sep-15 10:42:18

Allthatnonsense Why do Whistles do that? Both their parkas this year have awful cheap fur, like the soft toys you win at fun fairs (that's the worst analogy I can think of but they are that bad!)

That aside, I would say the black Whistles parka with the current 25% discount is the nicest looking option on the high street, considering it is showerproof which you don't usually get on the high street, except maybe some awful M&S macs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now