Where did you buy your maternity coat?

(20 Posts)
iliketeaalot Fri 25-Sep-15 20:11:18

I've started looking for a maternity coat but everything I've found so far is either really pricey or seems to come in weird over-shiny, extra-padded fabric that I assume will make me look huge. Ideally, I'd like something waterproof with a hood for running around after ds in the cold, but also don't fancy spending too much as I'll only be wearing it for about six months. However saying that, I'm quite drawn to the burgundy new look snood coat which matches none of my criteria apart from only being 40 quid! So just wondered, what did you buy, was it any good and how much was it? Thanks!

PetiteBateau Fri 25-Sep-15 20:30:30

I just wore my non-maternity winter coat unfastened with a massive long warm wool scarf.

herecomesthsun Fri 25-Sep-15 20:35:49

Ah, I bought a black size 20 Windsmoor coat in wool and cashmere off Ebay for a pittance. It saw me right up to 40 weeks both times! Cocoon shapes are in fashion right now which is great.

I also found a maternity Gap trenchcoat and a maternity denim Jacket.

ArcheryAnnie Fri 25-Sep-15 20:37:50

My existing coat was massive, so managed with that.

Don't bother with maternity but go straight to Evans, the Fat Shop. (I'm fat so am allowed to say that.) Will fit around your middle and a much better range.

HeyMicky Fri 25-Sep-15 20:45:59

I bought a cloak, which was loads simpler

Greengardenpixie Fri 25-Sep-15 20:49:14

I have had a few pregnancies. Bought a lovely swing coat from george at asda in purple. It was great. Another pregnancy and i bought a gorgeous mat coat from topshop in the sale. It was also gorgeous. Try ebay though. I sold on the topshop one. You may get a bargain. A swing A-line are great for bumps.

hookedonamoonagedaydreem Fri 25-Sep-15 20:49:26

H&M, it was huge, warm and cheap.

Greengardenpixie Fri 25-Sep-15 20:50:20

Another pregnancy '[yes i have a lot of children] i just wore my existing coat with a big scarf over the opening when i became too big.

Greengardenpixie Fri 25-Sep-15 20:52:02

There is always this too:

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+black-2-in-1-padded-maternity-jacket-in-maternity-coats-and-jackets+d5220

shirkingworking Fri 25-Sep-15 20:53:50

I bought one from jojomaman during the summer in the sale when pregnant with number 3... Made do with unbuttoned coats with babies 1 and 2 but baby number 3 was born at Christmas and I didn't fancy being cold. (Plus it was only £15 in the sale and nice!)

Hero1callylost Fri 25-Sep-15 20:55:29

I bought a normal (not maternity) coat from ASOS in my usual size - they seem to size big, plus it was an a-line shape. I got hot during pregnancy so was glad it was a lightweight wax jacket as it kept the wind out but could layer with a jumper if needed. Sold it on Ebay afterwards.

Second the advice not to bother hunting for a maternity coat, just size up or look for the right shape.

iliketeaalot Fri 25-Sep-15 20:58:44

#greengardenpixie, thanks for the link - that coat is pretty cute, but you're right, I should try eBay too... I'll keep looking!
#archeryannie, I'm not in UK but will have a look at Evans online too - do I just go up a size or would I be better off trying stuff on in person?
Think I'm going to need to go shopping for non-maternity bigger styles really...

shiteforbrains Fri 25-Sep-15 20:58:50

I bought one from eBay, it was an Asos parker which would have been £150 but was £30 second hand. I knew I wouldn't get much use out of it so no point spending much. As it happens I only wore it about 6 times.

FartemisOwl Fri 25-Sep-15 21:14:08

Got mine from Jojo Maman Bebe. It was a red wool 3/4 length one and I loved it so much I've still got it.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Fri 25-Sep-15 21:24:21

They are ridiculously expensive, aren't they? I had a minor rant at Topshop for pricing maternity coats at £70, but they ignored it. In the end I bought a Primark trenchcoat a size bigger than usual which lasted me right up to the birth (baby was born in July so I just wanted a raincoat - am in Scotland and it rains a lot!). The only problem was that being Primark, it wasn't actually that waterproof. hmm

iliketeaalot Fri 25-Sep-15 21:36:07

They're stupid money! The ones that actually look like they'll be warm over the winter are at least 70 quid and anything less than that looks like it's made of bin bags or you'd freeze! I know I could wear my husband's coat but to be honest, I'd like something that fits that'll keep me dry in the rain/snow we're supposed to be having later on this year!
I went into a shop today asking about maternity coats and they said it's too early. How the hell is it too early to buy a coat? Raaaaargh!!!

c4kedout Fri 25-Sep-15 21:57:11

just wore my usual winter coat. you are only a few weeks really big - I think it is not worth buying an extra coat.

TodmordensDog Fri 25-Sep-15 22:05:29

I got a parka from tesco with a drawstring waist that I can let out as I get bigger and then nip in when I'm not pregnant grin

hookedonamoonagedaydreem Sat 26-Sep-15 08:21:49

£40 for a maternity parka here, this is very similar to the H&M one that I had. No good if you are going somewhere nice, but ok for running around after children in.

Floppityflop Sun 27-Sep-15 09:41:48

I was also going to say cocoon and other oddly structured styles (blanket / poncho) are quite in at the moment so you might be able to get a non-maternity coat. I think you would be better off trying something on than buying online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now