Please help me with a winter capsule wardrobe for a SAHM!!

(10 Posts)
alwaysalaughtobehad Thu 24-Sep-15 15:13:08

Hi! I am 5'1'' size 10-12 petite hourglass. I spent all last winter in baggy tops due to b/feeding, several winters pregnant, before that working f/t.
I now want to sort my wardrobe out especially as I am 43 (look younger!) and I have a tendency to be a bit scruffy/ not spend much on clothes! I realised that a lot of my clothes were 10 years old plus/ not worn/ horrible etc and have filled 10 bags for the charity shop.
I live in dark high-waisted skinny jeans. Now is the time to go shopping I feel. I have bought 2 stripy tops, a faux leather jacket (eek), I have a grey leopard print soft jumper, lots of bright cardigans, lots of jersey tops and tunics, a white shirt I haven't been brave enough to wear yet! I have some new trendy glasses too
www.boots.com/en/Kyusu-KKF1405-Kids-Glasses-GBP21-30-with-an-NHS-Voucher_1689423/
I am going for a fitting at Bravissimo on Saturday. I'd love a proper winter coat (been trying for years can't find one that looks good on me), a parka, some flat or low-heeled boots, a cord skirt. What else should I look for?? I have a fear of looking boring and Mumsy so I tend to avoid shops like 'White Stuff' and buy most of my clothes in Debenhams, H and M (good for petites) and sometimes Fat Face and err charity shops, but I could afford to buy some nice pieces from a more expensive shop. Please help me!!

amarmai Thu 24-Sep-15 16:02:48

j Crew, Anne Taylor , Kate Spade, Top Shop all have great coats etc Especially TS not mumsy at all. Love your tortoiseshell on pink glasses.

alwaysalaughtobehad Thu 24-Sep-15 18:56:54

Oh thanks I will look those up!! The glasses are kids ones from Boots as I have a small face!

NewBallsPlease00 Thu 24-Sep-15 23:51:51

Zara for costs- try a pattern

alwaysalaughtobehad Fri 25-Sep-15 16:22:17

Thank you! Will go to Zara tomorrow! Any other ideas out there?!

jennyblonde82 Fri 25-Sep-15 16:58:16

Heya,

I'm in a similar position as I've just cleaned my wardrobe of all the old clothes and I'm determined to be a bit more stylish. All my old clothes were pre-children and a bit scruffy. Plus they were all work clothes and as a SAHM they didn't seem to work. Anyway I bought a few bits to replace them that I love.

Black high waisted resolution distressed jeans from gap. Still jeans but just a bit different to blue ones and look great with stripey tops.

Liberty Barbour Coat- really pretty and practical. www.liberty.co.uk/fcp/product/Liberty//Navy-Beadnell-Strawberry-Thief-Liberty-Print-Wax-Jacket/125852?gclid=CPOgyvrEksgCFQblwgodBJUPjQ

A Parka London parka- really practical for rainy mornings. Pricey but will last you years.

Some trainers that are a bit smarter: www.danielfootwear.com/women-c2/designer-shoes-c51/chorizio-leopard-slip-on-pump-p57705/s292826?gclid=CNDn46HFksgCFSTmwgod3hMFWQ. I have worn these non stop!

They're all a bit more expensive but I'm really trying to buy stuff that will last. For example last winter I bought 3 pairs of cheaper boots that I didn't like but this year I'm just buying 1 pair that I love and will wear everyday if that makes sense?
Happy shopping X

alwaysalaughtobehad Fri 25-Sep-15 17:32:30

Thats' brilliant! I also am fed up of having loads of cheap stuff and now want more stuff I love. I will def look those up thanks!

alwaysalaughtobehad Fri 25-Sep-15 21:57:50

Ooh I love the Liberty Barbour coat - gorgeous!

WalfordEast Fri 25-Sep-15 22:13:56

Do you like jewellery? Plain tops and tunics with jeans and leggings with a nice statement necklace and jacket always looks nice to me!!

For this winter I have:

3x plain tunics
3x pattern tunics
3x patterned t shirts
3x plain t shirts.
Black pair of jeans, light denim pair of jeans
Couple of pairs of black leggings
Faux fur gillet, faux leather jacket and denim jacket.
Long cream and grey cardigans

Shoes I wear knee high boots, a little pair of black ankle boots and have UGGs for if the weather gets V cold.

I have a waxed barbour that ive had for years. I do occasionally drool over the Liberty ones longingly but id rather spend the money on handbags

I dress my "plain" outfits up with jewellery- big statement necklace and hoop eartings usually.

As for where to shop- go wherever you please. I doubt if your older you would get away with a crop top you would see on a 17 year old- but you can get things in the likes of Topshop, Urban Outfitters etc that arent made just for teenagers. It isnt where you shop, but what you choose to buy.

WalfordEast Fri 25-Sep-15 22:16:02

Barbour jackets are def worth the investment FYI- the one ive got (second hand from a friend) is over 10 years old and you can send them off to be reproofed if they start looking a bit scruffy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now