Ankle boots to wear with dress and tights - any rules?

(50 Posts)
ChoclolateOrange Sun 13-Sep-15 12:07:06

I'm looking for a pair as non of my current boots look right with skirts.

I want a medium heel that are comfortable to walk in as I walk everywhere, a colour that goes with most things, and something flattering. I

Should you match colour to tights?

Is there a shape of top that is more flattering to legs?

Help and suggestions please!

PennyPants Sun 13-Sep-15 14:36:14

It depends on your legs, my ankles are quite skinny, so nothing too wide at the top or I look like Olive Oyl.

Twinklestein Sun 13-Sep-15 14:59:29

I don't think ankle boots ever look right with skirts tbh.

XiCi Sun 13-Sep-15 15:02:21

Have a look at shoe boots. They usually look better with dresses and skirts IMO

Twinklestein Sun 13-Sep-15 15:23:51

I agree.

Oly5 Sun 13-Sep-15 18:45:45

I have never found a pair of ankle boots that looked good with dress and tights until I found these. In fact, M&S have a few fab suede ankle boots
www.marksandspencer.com/stain-away-suede-ankle-boots-with-insolia-flex/p/p22365939

ChoclolateOrange Sun 13-Sep-15 19:17:05

I've got some high heeled shoe boots which I do like with dresses, but hadn't thought of looking for some lower heeled ones. Thanks for the suggestion!

The M and S ones are also nice, and a reasonable price too. Perhaps I might manage a couple of pairs in different colours at that price?wink

superram Sun 13-Sep-15 20:02:27

I always thought ankle boots looked terrible with skirts but hate tights do need a way of wearing leggings at work. I have just bought some lace up ankle boots in maroon from m and s and am happy that they look ok-not for a night on the town but fine in the day.

Bunbaker Sun 13-Sep-15 20:09:57

I really like those boots Oly5

fiorentina Sun 13-Sep-15 21:09:05

I agree that M&S are good for these. Shoe boots or some black suede Chelsea ankle boots I think look ok with 40 denier plus black tights and skirts. I wear them to work in the city and think they look smart.

Bellyrub1980 Sun 13-Sep-15 22:27:03

That M&S link isn't working for me. What is the name or code please?

MI6Agent Sun 13-Sep-15 22:34:47

I wear these with my dresses for work, either no tights or black high denier tights.

M&S again

Bellyrub1980 Sun 13-Sep-15 22:48:09

For some reason the M&S links just take me to their home page

JaceLancs Mon 14-Sep-15 01:26:02

I've just bought the M n S ones in charcoal (the indigo range ones) which are perfect with a skirt or dress and opaque or wooly tights - but I need something similar in black
Any suggestions?

BoskyCat Mon 14-Sep-15 13:39:25

these? They are a bit more chunky though.

ChoclolateOrange Tue 15-Sep-15 10:01:50

So far I like these

www.aldoshoes.com/uk/en_UK/women/boots/ankle-boots/c/131/CADOSIEN/p/40429602-44

or these, but they're quite expensive. Fine if they are good quality I suppose.

www.mintvelvet.co.uk/taupe-liza-tassel-ankle-boot/boots/mint-v/fcp-product/5736

I want them for weekend wear, not work.

carrie74 Tue 15-Sep-15 12:35:49

I wear Sam Edelman Pettys - with skinnies, with knee length dresses/skirts. They're fab.

www.samedelman.com/en-US/Product/EC0212161-3009380/Sam+Edelman/Black+Brahma/Petty.aspx

They do them in loads of different colours, and you can often find a bargain when googling (I paid about £50 for mine, I think). They're really comfortable, which for me is the clincher (in fact, I have a couple of other pairs of Sam Edelman sandals, and they're super comfy, so I'm enslaved to the brand now).

ItsAllGoodMan Tue 15-Sep-15 14:08:12

I've got these from Tk maxx www.tkmaxx.com/boots/tan-suede-ankle-boots/invt/39077407# they look much nicer in real life! I think tan suede looks fine with black tights. Hope I'm not deluding myself.

Dancergirl Tue 15-Sep-15 14:22:36

Watching with interest, I also think ankle boots don't look right with skirts.

What about calf length boots? Although I haven't seen many around this year.

ExConstance Tue 15-Sep-15 15:01:55

From what I can see there is a lot of wearing of Chelsea boots with dresses this season - Toast have some mahoosive clumpy ones which look lovely with dresses if you can carry off that look. 16 hole types are good too. I'm thinking of getting some Chelsea boots and one of the newer style Cath Kidston dresses for later on in the autumn. This site has a lovely boots and being cruelty free is a bonus.

Twinklestein Tue 15-Sep-15 17:51:54

The Mint Velvet ones look like Ash Jalouse knock offs, and I'm not keen on the Aldo ones. Have you looked at Hudson boots?

Dancergirl Tue 15-Sep-15 17:55:51

Boden?

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Shoes-Boots/Boots/AZ225/Womens-Smithfield-Boot.html

Plateofcrumbs Tue 15-Sep-15 18:04:06

I had a perfect pair of low heeled ankle boots a few years back from Office which I wore to death and have never found anything quite the same again. They were close to the Sam Edelman ones but they're not close enough (and certainly not at £200+ !)

My criteria are:

-black leather
-slightly pointed toe
-low slim heel (not kitten but not chunky)

If anyone sees boots like this on their searching I will love them forever!

Libitina Tue 15-Sep-15 19:50:44

I don't think any of those listed so far would look right (disclaimer, I'm 45 so know nothing about fashion). I'd go either shoe boots or I wear my DM's or chelsea style boots.

AppleSnapple Tue 15-Sep-15 19:56:32

Ooh LOVE the Sam Edelman ones... Have managed to find the cheapest black suede pair for £88 ish... Although a bargain compared w original price, cannot pay that if carrie74 says she only paid £50 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now