Hairdryer help, please. (Parlux blew up).

(20 Posts)
PitBlackwell Tue 08-Sep-15 16:38:36

My Parlux blew up this morning, rather close to DH's faceshock. I'm fairly sure it is dead. It can't have survivedsad. I also didn't send off the guarantee and I bought it in August 2014, so I'm not hopeful there either.

Should I go for a Parlux again, or is there something just as good around? I like the power, speed. It didn't seem to make much difference to my frizz, so I'm not necessarily bothered about that aspect.

Any tips gratefully received. Thank you!

squoosh Tue 08-Sep-15 17:01:22

Guarantee or not I'd be inclined to get in touch with Parlux and see what they say.

PitBlackwell Tue 08-Sep-15 18:49:30

You're right, it's worth a try. Can't lose anything. smile

WoodleyPixie Tue 08-Sep-15 20:46:20

It's worth a try. I recommend the ghd hair dryer though ??99. I have a parlux as well but find my fine hair goes a bit frizzy with it. But it doesn't with the ghd one.

scribblegirl Tue 08-Sep-15 20:47:41

I swear by my GHD Air - it's cut hair drying time in half for me (but I have fine hair, know it's not the same for everyone).

How scary though! shock

AnotheBloodyChinHair Tue 08-Sep-15 20:47:53

I can't believe your Parlux blew up after little over a year. I've had mine for 17 years now and it's still going strong! Definitely contact Parlux.

Honeymoonmummy Tue 08-Sep-15 20:49:58

I have a Parlux too. It gives a white flash inside when switching on and off, has done since I got it. I had a right barney with the Amazon seller who insisted this was normal and wouldn't refund it. I'm still using it now but I am wary. Anyone else's do this? (Apologies for hijack!)

Cheshireblue Tue 08-Sep-15 21:00:15

Yes honeymoonmummy mine does that too! It worried me but I'm still using it - seems great otherwise

PitBlackwell Tue 08-Sep-15 21:10:18

Thanks everyone. Do you think it's because I've been using it with an adaptor? Amazon sent a 2 pin plug one (not mentioned in the description) and I couldn't be bothered to send it back, so just used an adaptor with it, as other slightly cross reviewers on Amazon had done. I suspect they'll say 'tough luck'. I'll contact them anyway. Sorry to drip feed.

I haven't ever noticed a white flash. That does sound alarming. It's going to be very annoying using my previous hairdryer in the mean time. Doesn't help that I'm overdue a haircut and I have a massive bungle of hair at present.

Tiredemma Tue 08-Sep-15 21:12:53

My hair is like HORSES hair and used to take hours to dry.

MIL purchased me this for Xmas- God its the best thing ever

www.johnlewis.com/hershesons-professional-ionic-hair-dryer/p677230

PitBlackwell Tue 08-Sep-15 21:14:36

Yes, it was scary and swear words were uttered. He came to give me a goodbye kiss as he was going to work, I switched it off to be vaguely polite and there was a big old flamey explosion. Lucky to keep his eyebrows, really.

Although short lived and brief, it did lend an air of excitement to the end of the kiss that we haven't had for quite some time. wink Maybe I should thank Parlux. grinwink

PitBlackwell Tue 08-Sep-15 21:16:57

Cross posted, thanks tiredemma. We sound as if we suffer the same trials, tribulations and hair indignities.

I'll check out the ghd too. flowers

Joneseygirl77 Tue 08-Sep-15 21:17:57

Same thing happened to me last week with my Parlux. It sparked and then blew up leaving a nice burnt patch and hole in the bedroom paint work. DH was not impressed as it nearly set fire to his trousers as he was stood next to it at the time.

I've just binned mine as I can't remember when I bought it. Now wondering if I should contact them and whether to buy another one or something different.

PitBlackwell Tue 08-Sep-15 21:24:52

Oh, that's interesting. But also, bad. Maybe there's a fault with some of them. What model was yours? Mine was the 3800 Ceramic plus Ionic Eco Friendly.

Joneseygirl77 Tue 08-Sep-15 21:42:24

It was the 3200 so a different model. But still not good at all- just glad my dd wasn't around at the time!

I've just been looking as I need a replacement as my travel hairdryer is rubbish. Can't decide between a replacement Parlux- I was going to upgrade to 3800 or a GHD air.

PitBlackwell Tue 08-Sep-15 23:03:26

I agonised over the choice last time. So annoying to have to do it all again. I had a quick Google and it seems they are prone to blowing up with flame, although obviously difficult to guess how many actually do in real like. :-/

PitBlackwell Tue 08-Sep-15 23:04:06

*life

WoodleyPixie Wed 09-Sep-15 10:03:32

m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/ghd-h0-hduk-air-hair-dryer/p231760864?un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_1#page_loaded

That's the one I have except mine has a blue trim on it.

PitBlackwell Wed 09-Sep-15 10:16:57

Thanks WoodleyPixie. I like the sound of it not making hair frizzy. Thats an endless problem with me.

SauvignonPlonker Wed 09-Sep-15 20:07:33

Watching with interest..... Was going to buy a Parlux but not so sure now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now