Can anyone recommend a foundation for mixed race skin?

(13 Posts)
franksidebottom Fri 04-Sep-15 21:14:46

Hi all, I have worn the same foundation for about 18 years, Was fine when I was 20 now that I'm 38 not so much! There is so many products on the market that I just feel overwhelmed by it all. I know everyone's skin is different but my requirements are that it doesn't sit in the fine lines under my eyes, not be drying on my skin, covers well (uneven skin tone) and would like to look glowing, any recs greatfully received. Oh yes and not too expensive. Please help this haggard looking mum of 3 sad

sciaticasucks Sat 05-Sep-15 11:23:17

Hi....I understand your frustration.
I am mixed race and have spent years trying to find the right foundation.

I have tried a full range of cheap and expensive foundations, BB creams and tinted moisturisers but they were never quite right....never felt confident that the colour was exact. Always just a tad too light or too dark and if the colour was ok then I would find them too oily ( especially those made by black cosmetic companies)

Anyway, as I said it's been an extensive search but a couple of years ago I discovered Estee Lauder Double Wear (my shade is 'toaster toffee')

I can honestly say I don't think I'll ever try anything else as it's perfect for my skin.
Not only is the colour match great but it gives a natural flawless finish that genuinely lasts all day and doesn't rub off on clothes (very important for me as for work I wear a uniform that includes a white shirt)

It's not cheap but it's the best 'value for money' product I've ever used as you only need the tiniest amount and I would say a bottle lasts me 4-5 months with everyday use.

I hope this helps OP. For years it did seem like that mixed race skins were an overlooked group by the large cosmetics companies but luckily it seems they are finally catching on. Good lucksmile

franksidebottom Sat 05-Sep-15 14:37:43

Thanks sciaticasucks I will see if I can get a sample. It's good to get a recommendation currently using max factor creme puff powder which I do like but the colour is just that bit to light but I do like the coverage

JeffyJeffington Sat 05-Sep-15 14:47:02

In the past I've found Bourjois good, as the darker shades seem to go into warmer yellow/beige rather than reddish tones. Now I'm a bit older and like a lighter coverage I use Laura Mercier b&b cream which is pricey but good!

chanie44 Sat 05-Sep-15 14:48:30

Bobbi brown and Mac have a wide range of colours in their foundations, although I haven't tried them myself.

I'm mixed race too and I recently tried a Clinique foundation in store and whilst the colour matched, it didn't look like 'me'. The consultant said the foundation had pink undertones, whereas my skin in more golden.

I always ask the consultant to make up my whole face and then I walk around with it for a couple of hours before making a decision whether to buy or not.

Love2dance Sat 05-Sep-15 15:23:45

Mac Face and Body (I wear C5) has good colours. Also, expensive but lasts for ages: Armani Luminous Silk foundation. Good for combo/dry skin and has a good colour range. 6.5 and 6.25 are both great colours for mixed race skin. For tinted moisturizer, Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30. Depending on your skin tone, try St Mauritz or Havana. The last 2 give a really nice glow.

Eminado Sat 05-Sep-15 16:28:03

MAC !!! MAC!!

franksidebottom Sat 05-Sep-15 20:30:23

Thanks everyone, tried a sample of benefits foundation, loved the radiance but it showed all my fine lines. Heard good things about mac, went to a few cosmetic counters and they wouldn't give me any samples and I'm reluctant to buy without trying first.

SnoringMonkeys Sat 05-Sep-15 20:38:03

I don't use foundation but I can't stress enough how good the Sleek CC cream is. I'd try it out before buying though, as the medium is way too dark even for me. It leaves me with an even dewy look and people have commented on how nice I'm looking. Never had that happen before!

Holymoly321 Sat 05-Sep-15 21:24:06

Marking place!

franksidebottom Sat 05-Sep-15 22:36:36

Is a cc cream like a moisturiser? I need decent coverage as my skin tone is so uneven and blotchy in places. Has anyone tried any of the other max factor foundations?

SnoringMonkeys Sat 05-Sep-15 23:02:24

CC cream is colour correcting cream. It's like a foundation but not as heavy. I normally moisturise with serum first and then rub in the CC cream. I have uneven skin tone too on my forehead and cheeks and it balances it out. I can't wear foundation as it gives me spots but the cc cream doesn't clog pores either. It's amazing really. I'd give a cc cream a go.

franksidebottom Sun 06-Sep-15 19:11:30

Thanks snoringmonkeys I'll check cc creams out. I tried a maybeline foundation today and really liked the coverage and colour (tried the tester) the colour was fawn, wasn't too expensive either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now