Why do dress designers presume that all formal dresses are worn on a hot day

(7 Posts)
MaryBerrysEyelashes Tue 18-Aug-15 12:53:02

In the summer. Races. Weddings. I can count on one hand the times I've been to. Scorching wedding. So everyone in England is buying bloody cover ups to keep them warm. (Scotland doesn't apply as its so rarely warm there )

squiz81 Tue 18-Aug-15 13:03:42

You can get formal dresses with sleeves, but then if it is hot you're stuck! I would much rather layer up.

lucysmam Tue 18-Aug-15 15:17:47

I'd rather wear a dress with a shrug or whatever too.

We were at a wedding on Saturday; it was cold outside the church for photo's but very warm inside the reception venue so longer sleeves would have been horrible to wear.

Heels99 Tue 18-Aug-15 15:23:21

I find its the opposit so many polyester dresses and not enough cotton, yes you phase 8, making everyone sweat

EmmaWoodlouse Tue 18-Aug-15 19:36:58

I agree with Heels... formal dresses may be short-sleeved but they are often made of uncomfortably shiny, sweaty materials. I would much rather have to wear them on a cool or even cold day and wear a jacket or shrug with them!

YouMakeMyDreams Tue 18-Aug-15 19:42:42

I live in Scotland and have only been to many weddings on scorching days.
I always assumed it had more to do with the fact that you can put a cardigan or a jacket on to go outside but when you are inside but dancing the night away a dress that keeps you warm outside will melt you.

OnlyLovers Fri 21-Aug-15 18:00:31

I find this maddening. I don't like layers over a nice formal dress; I think they look frumpy.

I also hate the proliferation of polyester, especially in expensive high-street stores like French Connection and Ted Baker. If I'm going to pay £150+ for a dress I do not want a sweaty poly one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now