Do you still buy Me + Em?

(21 Posts)
FrugalFashionista Thu 13-Aug-15 18:15:19

I rifled through my work wardrobe and came across a couple of good workhorse items that I bought from Me + Em a couple of years ago and have worn a lot. I checked their sale and it all just seemed either a bit boxy or too flappy, items that look good in fashion editorials with a wind machine but less so on a 40+ woman IRL.

Have you bought anything from them recently?

BritabroadinAsia Thu 13-Aug-15 18:22:22

I just ordered some bits from their sale and was v pleased with the quality - I did succumb to a 'flappy' dress that in truth might look a whole lot better if I were 6 inches taller and twenty years younger, but hey... Bought a cashmere mix boxy jumper at great price and a more fitted dress for £29 that I really like too. So far so good.

flowery Thu 13-Aug-15 18:43:59

Boxy and flappy as you say, OP, which for me equals shapeless and unflattering.

Floisme Thu 13-Aug-15 20:52:53

I agree. Whatever happened to those double-thick, ruched pencil skirts that gave me the body of a fifties film siren?

Cranagh Thu 13-Aug-15 21:17:58

I used to be a big fan but I think their quality has deteriorated and they use too much viscose. Rarely buy from them now. Also, I've moved from the UK and the delivery charge is now £15. No thanks!

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Thu 13-Aug-15 21:39:38

I have only ever bought clingy stuff from them, as I know the boxy items won't suit me. And you're right, there does seem to be a lot of boxiness/shapelessness!

I bought 2 ruched pencil dresses in their current sale which I'm really happy with. They are modal.

However... a couple of years ago, things in their sale used to sell out really quickly. This time round, there was a lot more left for longer. Did they stock too much or are people getting turned off?

PrimalLass Thu 13-Aug-15 22:44:50

However... a couple of years ago, things in their sale used to sell out really quickly. This time round, there was a lot more left for longer.

Hush was the same. I started a thread about the 70% reductions and hardly anyone was interested. There was a huge thread about the Winter sale. Once my order came I understood why - it was all pretty rubbish apart from the knitwear.

canny1234 Fri 14-Aug-15 05:34:39

I love the long jersey shirts and bought 3 in the sale,rather surprisingly very reduced.The boxy striped T-shirt I also bought was a weird shape but really wasn't worth returning and the navy crepe jumpsuit was a truly awful fabric.Supposedly viscose crepe but was reminiscent of my crimplene school uniform that used to itch me all summer.
Me and Em's original selling point was the luxurious fabrics and classic shapes which seem to have been lost.Too many other shops do fitted ruched dresses now and Modal is now a standard fabric in every cheap shop.

FrugalFashionista Fri 14-Aug-15 06:20:45

I agree with everyone here! I have a Me + Em polyester swing dress and it is exactly like DC's school uniforms, a bit hot and scratchy, and unlined. I was mildly interested in one cheap sales item but I'm not in the UK either and the £15 shipping put me off, plus I remember the last time I ordered nearly everything went back and return postage was super expensive.

I sometimes wear boxy tops, but have found that COS and MiH are usually much better cut and generally made of cotton.

BritabroadinAsia Fri 14-Aug-15 08:59:17

In fairness, I bought in UK while back this summer and only sale items, so I think I'm out of line with the consensus as I was pathetically grateful not to have to pay for either shipping and expensive returns.

What is it with diminishing fabric quality these days? I tried a beautiful Jaeger dress on when doing my annual UK shop, which was £150 for polyester! It looked great (the assistant didn't believe it was 100% polyester until I showed her the label) but I refused to pay that price for Zara-quality fabric... sad

Cranagh Sat 15-Aug-15 00:57:18

James Perse and Velvet do similar, drapey styles, and much better quality and fabric than Me and Em. Also the occasional 25% off and free delivery from Shopbop.

Turquoiseblue Sat 15-Aug-15 05:03:58

Agree, I bought some bits in their sale and they are currently winging their way back as returns - disappointingly shapeless and quality of material terrible.
Otoh I have a few me and em dresses and a shirt from about 4 years ago that are stil going strong ! (when they stocked MIH and Monica vindaer- I ll be forever grateful to them for introducing me to these brands grinwink)
I m not in the uk either and postage is a pita so I use a postbox address Cranagh (much cheaper - there s lots of them about and ps hope your move went well!! )

Allgunsblazing Sat 15-Aug-15 06:31:52

Something weird happened to their sizing too.
Disclaimer: I am not a size fanatic. I'm a size 12, say. The XL trousers were really tight!!?
Everything I bought this year went back. Weird sizes, the cut was awful (yy to the jumpsuit, it was hideous).
I am a big fan of their dresses, but they will have to work hard to win me back.

FrugalFashionista Sat 15-Aug-15 06:32:21

To be fair some of their new season stuff looks more promising but with minimalist shapes, fabric is everything.

These two items here and here are an example of fashions very few real people will be able to wear.

FrugalFashionista Sat 15-Aug-15 06:39:00

Oh and I love MiH. They still use great materials, and if you wait until sales time, you can get very nice quality for reasonably prices. I own two MiH dresses now and both are exquisitely made. I've also found decent quality silk t shirts that work well under work jackets from COS.

Turquoiseblue Sat 15-Aug-15 22:32:56

I ve never tried MIH for anything other than denim and shirts.
A dress you say ......wink

blodynmawr Fri 21-Aug-15 15:24:33

Just resurrecting this thread to say this cowl neck dress is really rather flattering for both work and going out wear and a bargain in the sale.

AvonleaAnne Fri 21-Aug-15 18:39:59

I had an order from the sale arrive today and I am pretty happy with most of it. However, I was really surprised at a jacket I bought. It was reduced from £95 to £28 and when I tried it one it was impossible to get one of the sleeves on properly. When I looked closer the lining was not stitched correctly. I sew for a living so I just undid it and sewed it back together quickly. But it was a really obvious mistake and I'm sure that whoever made it would have known at the time that they were making the mistake so the quality control must not be that great. It has put me off ordering again and I don't think I would order at full price.

PinkFakeBakeTan Fri 21-Aug-15 18:41:34

I recently bought a navy and white striped cardi and it's horrible. It makes me look like a linebacker.

niminypiminy Fri 21-Aug-15 18:54:03

I've seen and am really coveting those cropped wide leg jeans. I have a pair of wide-leg jeans from whistles that I've worn constantly and I'd like another pair that are slightly differently styled. I'm also blessed with really short legs and can normally wear cropped styles as full length trousers without altering them.

I reckon these are going to be my ideal shape and I won't have to chop about a yard off the bottom for them to be a good length.

I'd so love other companies that are not M&S to do a shorter length in their trousers.

BritabroadinAsia Sun 23-Aug-15 09:41:06

blodyn - that's the dress I have and am pleasantly surprised at how flattering it is, especially given the price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now