Shoes for painful heels! I think it is plantar fasciitis

(34 Posts)
Nothavingfunrightnow Sat 08-Aug-15 16:45:30

I have not had a diagnosis yet, but Dr Google seems to think I have plantar fasciitis.

Can anyone suggest good supportive brands and styles I might wear to help ease the pain? I am happy with Clarks or more conservative styles - I teach at an FE college so am on my feet a bit and I am nearly 50 and not very fashion conscious smile

Thanks!

Walkingonsunshine00 Sat 08-Aug-15 16:50:55

Trainers
Get your self some nice supportive trainers and it will sort your problem!smile

Nothavingfunrightnow Sat 08-Aug-15 16:54:42

That would do for weekends, but something a bit smarter for work I think! :D

(I have to admit that my feet feel much better in my old trainers that I have - seems I need to upgrade them!)

chosenone Sat 08-Aug-15 16:59:45

I feel you pain ! I actually self referred to a podiatrist when a GP diagnosed this. The podiatrist did all sorts before diagnosing severe arch strain due to over pronantion. Its worth seeing one as they can advise various exercises or give you inner soles. I am happiest in fit flops but for work anything from skechers or the clarks memoryfoam wide fit range.

Nothavingfunrightnow Sat 08-Aug-15 17:03:25

Thanks, Walkingonsunshine00 and Chosenone. I have been putting off going to the doctor, but reckon I will do so next week.

wafflyversatile Sat 08-Aug-15 17:11:43

I have diagnosed plantar fasciitis and trainers make my feet very unhappy indeed. So I would advise you get proper advice.

These make my feet very happy - they are the right heel height to take the strain off my achilles tendon and heel pad and the sole is as squidgy as a squidgy thing for comfort, but won't cure PF unless I actually do the exercises. I don't do the exercises.

www.sarenza.co.uk/crocs-huarache-sandal-wedge-w-s825850-p0000119840?gclid=CJLbya7vmccCFevnwgodrbQMlw#ectrans=1

They come in black, and other colourways too.

furryleopard Sat 08-Aug-15 17:37:42

I had similar a few years ago and my doctor said it wasn't plantar fasciitis rather I'd been wearing stupid ballet shoes and flip flops. So I invested in some Earth shoes with a proper bit of support on them and it went away! I suffered for ages as well.

Nothavingfunrightnow Sat 08-Aug-15 18:21:28

That's interesting, Furryleopard. I have been wearing VERY flat, old, cheap flip flops. And I am very overweight - so that certainly does not help.

wafflyversatile Sat 08-Aug-15 18:28:14

Most foot professionals will not recommend flip flops for anything but the bin!

ChishandFips33 Sat 08-Aug-15 18:28:18

PF sufferer here too <waves>
Orthaheel slim fit insoles were an instant relief (recommended by physio/podiatrist) and then I slowly began to replace my cheap shoes with better, more supportive ones:
*Ecco sandals for summer are fab (no insoles needed), they have a rubber sole and the footbed is shaped
*crocs clogs for round the house/gardening
*dr martens mid calf/caterpillar mardy fur/ecco boots (with my insoles) for winter
*Gumbies wellingtons (no insole needed, shaped insole as standard)
*flat or low healed shoes/ankle boots with my insoles - wide toe bed or neuroma becomes an issue
*crocs wedges and sandals
*karrimoor walking sandals

The chat is eye watering for some brands but absolutely worth.every.penny for the relief when you find something right for you

BoffinMum Sat 08-Aug-15 22:19:22

Go to a running shop and get specially prescribed trainers. Bloody amazing.

BoffinMum Sat 08-Aug-15 22:21:33

Oh yes, my foot physio recommended FitFlops as well.

My fancy trainers are New Balance and designed to offset pronation.

Diggum Sat 08-Aug-15 22:23:13

As above the key is extremely soft and squidgy heel pads.

Also using a golf ball or large marble (pop it in the freezer for a bit before for extra benefit) stand on it and dig it into the painful part of the heel, rolling it back and forth under the foot. You want to knead and stretch the bejesus out of the tendon.

HTH. It's no picnic!

Nothavingfunrightnow Sun 09-Aug-15 00:15:49

Diggum, your description of what I should do has made me break out into a cold sweat. ARGH!!!!!

But I will try it!

Adarajames Sun 09-Aug-15 00:19:27

Reflexology can be really helpful too

PotOfYoghurt Sun 09-Aug-15 00:22:03

Also rolling your foot back on forth on a metal tin. Hurts in the best way!

wafflyversatile Sun 09-Aug-15 00:30:30

or a bottle of water from the freezer.

Are your feet stiff in the morning or if you've sat down for a while?

These exercises where recommended to me by a physio for in the morning.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kStuJAu0a20

Also sitting on the floor legs straight out, belt round the ball of your foot. one end in each hand pull the belt towards you stretching your calf and achilles tendon. do repetitions of 10 or something. x3

Another exercise is to stand on a step with just your toes and ball of foot on the step, lower your heels to below the level of the step and hold for a count of 30. x3

hidinginthecupboard Sun 09-Aug-15 00:31:00

Stretches are good, Google will find you some or get to a physio. Shoe wise what helped me most were fit flops and getting good insoles for all my other shoes. Clarks brogues with insoles are good for me for work think maybe as whole foot is supported? I also wear Birkenstock as slippers at home so am hardly ever totally barefoot, I really feel it if I walk for too long in bare feet or really flat shoes. In fact have binned all my really flat ones, just wasn't worth the pain! Typing this I realise I am now a lot better than I was, there is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

hidinginthecupboard Sun 09-Aug-15 00:38:09

Cross post - no need for Google, waffly's stretches good, definitely worth a try. I did the belt one with a towel before getting out of bed in the morning sometimes, it helped. Good luck, hope you find something that helps.

MarkRuffaloCrumble Sun 09-Aug-15 00:46:31

I've had this too, really painful heels and arches. I've stopped wearing stupid unsupportive ballet flats and it's so much better (I'm overweight too - definitely a factor!)

Dp massages my feet every night and has to push really hard, just using his fist/knuckles on the really painful bit until he gets hand cramp and I have to massage his hands

I bought some sandals with more supportive arches which are really comfortable (but unfortunately make my feet smell bad sad ) so I'm looking for some nice shoes wifi here don't hurt, look nice and don't stink. Tall order?

Clicking on all the suggestions here thanks.

MarkRuffaloCrumble Sun 09-Aug-15 00:47:23

Wifi here?! *Which

wafflyversatile Sun 09-Aug-15 00:53:39

PF seems to be a very common thing these days. A thread seems to pop up every month. Not sure if it's an age as in i.e. I'm getting older and older people get it so I notice it more or thing or a thing of this time as in lots more people are getting it these days because of the fashion for pumps or the populations weight increase or whatever.

MarkRuffaloCrumble Sun 09-Aug-15 01:00:29

Just bought some Fit Flops! Thanks x

Behooven Sun 09-Aug-15 01:17:26

Gabor Haven are great for work btw

Nothavingfunrightnow Sun 09-Aug-15 11:52:12

Wafflyversatile, yes, my feet are very painful in the morning
(pain rather than stiffness) and if I have been sitting for a while. Also I went for a long walk a few weeks ago and since then my feet have been worse. I cannot remember what shoes I had been wearing.

I will be binning my flat flip flops immediately!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now