Grey roots coming through - what can I use as a temporary cover up?

(19 Posts)
Lottapianos Wed 05-Aug-15 09:50:37

My hair has a lot of grey in it and I get it coloured dark brown every 6 weeks or so. I last had it done 3 weeks ago and some grey is showing through at the roots already. I wont' be able to get to the hairdresser until early September. I don't want to use a box of semi permanent colour but is there anything else anyone would recommend - like a rinse through product that would give a bit of temporary cover?

andthenthereweretwo Thu 06-Aug-15 16:56:57

My salon sell a loreal spray for grey roots, sorry but I can't remember it's name. It is supposed to be great.

hooliodancer Thu 06-Aug-15 17:19:09

You can get root only dye in Boots, it's Clairol root touch-up. It comes in loads of colours.

Marks and Spencer do a root cover up- not dye- by Josh Wood which I carry around in my bag. I really like it.

I hate dying my hair! The roots seem.to come through after about 2 weeks now. So the Marks and Spencer one really is my friend.

maybemyrtle Thu 06-Aug-15 17:45:59

Batiste tinted dry shampoo definitely helps, same principle as all the root cover up powders (Charles Worthington, Josh Wood etc) but I think a bit cheaper.

Lottapianos Thu 06-Aug-15 18:00:08

Ooh yes, have seen the Josh Wood ones in M&S but never heard if they were any good or not. May have to invest

My hair is dry, coarse and curly and hates dry shampoo sadly but thanks smile

Stroopwaffel Thu 06-Aug-15 18:03:42

I use one called 'colour wow' (awful name!) it's pricey but lasts a long time, have been pleased with it

Got it cheaper on eBay.

Callycatsy Thu 06-Aug-15 18:10:37

WOW is QVC's beauty product of the month and is free p&p plus you can send it back if you don't love it within 30 days.

www.qvcuk.com/Color-Wow-Root-Cover-Up.product.203286.html

FrizzyPig Thu 06-Aug-15 18:16:59

When desperate I use mascara ! blush

MamaLazarou Thu 06-Aug-15 18:25:08

I have one of those Josh Wood blending wands in cool brown. Used it once before deciding to stop colouring my hair and just let the grey grow through. Shout if you'd like it, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Tobiasfunke Thu 06-Aug-15 18:26:39

I bought WOW for blonde hair last week- it is brilliant. Easy to put o and it lasts until you wash it.

MintJulip Thu 06-Aug-15 18:40:43

what is wow please a powder?a cream ? do you apply it after washing hair and thats it until wash hair again?

I use a sort of brown lip stick for sides but not sure if this would do you op, looks like you have better options up ^

Greengardenpixie Thu 06-Aug-15 18:43:42

clairol root touch up. Fantastic. Just dye the roots, its so simple, wash out and the greys are gone!!

scarletforya Thu 06-Aug-15 18:46:52

Eyeshadow, with a soft brush. One shade lighter than the colour of your hair. Along the hairline and if you have a split put some there too.

Don't use eyeshadow with glitter or a pearl. Make sure it's totally matte.

Callycatsy Thu 06-Aug-15 19:00:12

mint click on that link and you'll see a video presentation as well as reviews. It's a powder.

Lottapianos Thu 06-Aug-15 19:18:25

Mama, that's extremely generous of you! Are you sure you wouldnt use it again?

whinetaster Thu 06-Aug-15 19:25:44

Colour Wow is great. No have highlighted blonde hair, and I use it to cover the darker roots in the weeks before I get them redone. It's a powder that you apply but it sticks really well, and lasts all day.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 06-Aug-15 19:31:08

Colour wow is very good.

Dukketeater Thu 06-Aug-15 19:59:23

Superdrug sell hair mascara in natural hair colours.

MamaLazarou Thu 06-Aug-15 20:17:03

No, please take it off my hands, Lotta. PM me your address and I'll bung it in the post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now