Talk to me about control underwear please!

(9 Posts)
bsmirched Sun 02-Aug-15 21:31:06

I have just bought this dress from Ebay. I hope to goodness I like it on as it's for a wedding and I'm running out of time/options! I'm 5'6 and a curvy 18. I want to buy some sort of control underwear to give me a smoother silhouette and I've seen things that go from hips to under the bust. My concern is surely the lumpy bits have to go somewhere! Will I end up with unsightly bulges at the top and bottom of the underwear? Would I be better off just leaving my lumpy bits free range,albeit with bra and pants obviously!
As you may have gathered, I don't dress up to this extent very often so please be gentle! Any advice on type/brands gratefully received, though please bear in mind that I'may on a budget!

MoonlightandMusic Sun 02-Aug-15 22:30:32

That is a stunning dress! - I have to admit to not trying the full-length control underwear, but certainly any of the 'granny knicker' variety (i.e. the start mid-stomach) have ended up rolling down slightly, leaving a roll around the top (no issues on the bottom half) - only way I found to fix this was to add the 'control top' tights over the top of them.

Would probably recommend trying your standard underwear and control top tights first then, if you have to, buy the spanx-type stuff. TK Maxx often have Spanx in for half nothing too.

alongcamespiders Sun 02-Aug-15 22:32:33

Nice dress, sorry not help as I've not really got on with control underwear. My best experience was a kind of all in one shorts thing so halfway down thigh, finishing at thinner end and thin shoulder straps, could still wear a bra with it, kept things very smooth but made toileting tricky , even with the handy vent....v cheap tho in tkmax, all sorts there.

alongcamespiders Sun 02-Aug-15 22:33:37

Oh two tkmaxx recommendations and a cross post!

bsmirched Sun 02-Aug-15 22:39:01

Brilliant thank you!

LastUnicorn Sun 02-Aug-15 23:30:12

Nice dress. Spanx are my best friend, you may want a full body suit, definitely the mid tight power holder ones for that dress, a top tip is to tick it under your bra so it won't roll down.
Always buy spanx in the correct sizing and you honestly won't feel them, they are lightweight but do the trick

bsmirched Mon 03-Aug-15 00:09:05

Thank you! Very helpful.

goodasitgets Mon 03-Aug-15 02:43:00

I adore maidenform shapewear. TK maxx have them in too, I went in and tried loads of brands on

bsmirched Mon 03-Aug-15 09:55:32

Thank you. Looks like TK Max is the place to be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now