Help! What should I do with my horrible hair

(13 Posts)
DiamondsInTheFlesh Fri 31-Jul-15 20:14:14

Mid brown naturally but started going grey a few years ago so I've used various box dyes to cover it. Trouble is it always gets a reddy tinge to it which I hate.
Past few months I've been lightening it in the hope that being lighter would hide/blend greys better (??) but again it's got a red tinge so it's kind of very light red brown which I hate
arrrrr sad I would just like a warm rich brown can I get this without spending ££££ at the hairdressers?
Or should I bleach it & go proper blonde?

burnishedsilver Fri 31-Jul-15 20:21:24

My hair is the same. It always comes out warmer than expected. To get a warm rich brown result I put in a mid ash brown colour.

DiamondsInTheFlesh Fri 31-Jul-15 20:36:26

Thanks burnished. Do you mean you add it to something else?

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 31-Jul-15 20:54:24

I was always a bit rubbish at colouring my own hair. Would you consider going to a local college and let a (supervised) trainee do it?

EmGee Fri 31-Jul-15 20:55:41

You could try Aveda Mavala shampoo and conditioner - it is supposed to remove the reddish tones. I read about it on here!

burnishedsilver Fri 31-Jul-15 20:56:44

No. I just mean that if the box says ash mid brown it comes out warm mid brown.

burnishedsilver Fri 31-Jul-15 20:58:17

I should add, it's the same in salons - I ask for ash and get warm. If I ask for warm I get red.

Thisismyfirsttime Fri 31-Jul-15 21:07:09

Assuming you're doing all over applications since you're using different colours your problem may be that you were using a 'golden' (red) based colour and if you used a lighter colour over the top that can be used to lighten natural hair the part that contains ammonia will be lightening the dye you've already put in. As that dye was based on red which is the hardest colour to remove you're removing some if the brown and being left with red. Try using a colour remover, then using a lighter 'ash' colour as opposed to a golden one.
Or try a free consultation with a hairdresser and see what they'd suggest for doing it in salon and just do that yourself at home!

DiamondsInTheFlesh Fri 31-Jul-15 22:13:43

Ok I see yes that may well have happened. I did try using b4 colour remover & it went proper ginger. Then I put a light ash brown on and it went so dark it was nearly black ffs. Spent so much might as well have gone to hairdressers. I hate sitting in front of the mirror though I think I have a proper fear of it or something I feel sick. Anyway do you think I could say to a hairdresser give me a brown without red, under no circumstances red!!

hauntedhenry Fri 31-Jul-15 22:15:35

Same happened to me. I had to start going to the hairdressers. Sorry sad

DiamondsInTheFlesh Fri 31-Jul-15 22:18:54

Don't be it's my own stupid fear I need to get over it. So how did it turn out? What did they do & was it very expensive?
Yes I've been to a hairdressing college before but I found my panic was even worse, not because of worry over what they were doing (it can't be worse than what I'm doing at home!) but purely because it took so much longer & therefore much longer in front of the mirror

Thisismyfirsttime Fri 31-Jul-15 22:39:21

What did you do when it went almost black? Is that how you are now or did you continue dyeing?

DiamondsInTheFlesh Fri 31-Jul-15 23:06:53

No I washed it 100 times with head & shoulders it went back to light brown/ginger

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now