is it the style or size that is wrong for me? Seeking bra experts

(10 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Sat 25-Jul-15 22:49:52

Hi
I have done my reading on the bra threads and have established a rough size for myself (accepting that all bras are different and some work best for different shapes).
I bought a Panache Andorra given that its so popular and from what I have read I thought it would be good for my shape. However, the fit isn't quite right.
The band feels very snug, but to the point that by the end of the day I had red marks and I don't think it would ever loosen enough for me to need to use the smaller fasteners. Its so snug. I can run upstairs quite comfortably and know there need be no readjusting! The gore sits flat.
I am fairly squidgy of torso as they say and always trying to slim down so I thought to err on the tighter side.
Also, the wires at the outside jab in. I had read about the high wires but thought they might be good for me, with the side support too. And thanks to my squidgy torso I seem to have it all spilling out at the sides round the band.
However, I do love the flexible lace on the top as anything with a fixed seam tends to end up cutting a line and creating a quad.
Could anyone advise - do I need to go up a strap size? cup size? Both? I would like to go to a Bravissimo store but there's not one near me so having to do this from home.

Thanks very much.

DamsonInDistress Sun 26-Jul-15 09:43:15

The Andorra is one of my favourite bras but the high sides on Panaches are not for everyone, and to prevent rubbing and spill over you need to be scooping very thoroughly. What were your actual measurement under and over, and what size did you buy? I find it runs very tight in the band but will give eventually, and the cups are generous because of the stretch in the lace. It signs like you might need to size up in the band and therefore down in the cup, but if the tightness is caused by too small a cup that won't help, and you'll need to experiment with an online order of different sizes and send back those that don't work for you.

keeponkeepinon Sun 26-Jul-15 12:40:23

ok, thank you. I think thats the only way, to order quite a few and return. I think it may be worth trying a next cup up as well as one with a bigger band. Its so firm I kind of like it as I feel really secure but I am not sure at what point I should think nope, its too tight! It does get a bit uncomfortable by the end of the day.
If the high wires in another cup size still dont agree, do you know of any other good bras with the stretch lace top section? This is definitely a good thing for me.

keeponkeepinon Sun 26-Jul-15 13:01:10

Using the method described in the forums I have found here - I think I got 33/45.
I ordered a 32GG (it was very reduced so I thought worth a shot) and its not bad, its just possibly a little too tight. Like I say, I like the firmness of it but the spillage at the sides is unacceptable. So I dont know if its a scooping issue or a band issue. I do try to really properly scoop but it seems to not stay where it should.
Is it just that the wires in the andorra are just not for me?
What else could I try?

stripytees Sun 26-Jul-15 18:14:51

With your measurements I make that a 32HH, which would explain why the GG feels too tight. Usually overspill is due to the cups being too small.

I can't wear Panache bras, the wires are the wrong shape for me. Fantasie and Curvy Kate have shallower wires although CK can be inconsistent in sizing in general.

marriednotdead Sun 26-Jul-15 20:07:30

Panache Andorra is quite narrow so if you're finding it digs at the sides, it's probably a style issue. If it works in terms of coverage etc then I'd suggest trying their Clara in the same size, or perhaps a cup bigger. Failing that, the Envy has shorter wires.

keeponkeepinon Sun 26-Jul-15 21:16:00

Blimey...32HH! suppose I have wide roots (AIBU to feel a little bit ill when I talk about having roots?! I don't know why but I cannot get used to that terminology. At all.)
They are fairly close set and I am not sure where the tissue ends and the flubber begins!

Suggestions for styles from those who know is what I would love please, its like being given some kind of road map because although i am learning lots from reading here, there is so much to consider when choosing what to outlay your cash on to try out.

keeponkeepinon Sun 26-Jul-15 21:20:51

Is there a current bra thread btw? I cannot seem to find one but I am -begging-- grateful for all knowledge of style types that might be appropriate! We could do with a reference list for your shape/type and possible good matches! I went on that website where you put in all your measurements and it makes suggestions, but it suggested the Andorra. Perhaps it is a case of needing more room to scoop into.

SorrelForbes Sun 26-Jul-15 22:23:50

There's a good Sub Reddit called A Bra that Fits that has lots of info about styles and shapes.

keeponkeepinon Sun 26-Jul-15 23:35:31

I am going to google that sorrel, your advice would be like gold dust, mind! gringringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now