Tipping hairdressers for idiots

(54 Posts)
catkind Thu 16-Jul-15 12:28:57

OK, I've never figured this one out.

I get that you're supposed to tip.

What I don't get is how much and just how. As in when do I do it, who do I give it to, what do I say? And if I get a £30-40 wash and cut at a salon, how much tip?

Other option is a home hairdresser, they charge less does that mean you tip more or less or not at all as they keep all the money and can charge what they like in the first place?

I've been getting my hair cut at the kids hairdressers with the kids and just telling them to keep the change, and I'm not sure if that's even right - sometimes they've pressed me to take it anyway. Thinking I'd like to get a proper grown up cut now and I don't want to offend. Help oh wise ones!

dementedpixie Thu 16-Jul-15 12:36:06

I sometimes tip and sometimes don't. I only give £2-£3 extra and it depends how much change I have handy on the day

Marylou2 Thu 16-Jul-15 12:43:20

I leave £5 for a cut and £10 if I have a colour.Also £5 for other services such as waxing/manicure.

bikeandrun Thu 16-Jul-15 12:44:59

I tip the girl who washes my hair, the woman who owns the salon sends her daughter to private school, holidays in the Caribbean and has a second home, I think she can manage without an extra £3 from a poor public sector worker like me!

catkind Thu 16-Jul-15 12:49:29

And say you want to tip the hair washer, how do you do that? When they've finished or at the end? Sorry if this sounds daft but I just don't know what I'm supposed to do in practice!

catkind Thu 16-Jul-15 12:51:29

I liked it when I lived in Germany, the system was you'd just round up and tell whoever it was to keep the change. And prices were usually a handy number of euros under a round note.

madamecake Thu 16-Jul-15 12:56:08

My hairdresser at a salon charges £35 for a cut and blow dry and I've always tipped a fiver. I make sure I have a five pound note so even if I pay by card I can give the tip straight to her (not the owner who has 5 salons and very flashy car!)

My hair dresser usually washes my hair too as I go on Mondays when it's very quiet, so not sure about the etiquette on how to tip the girls and boys who wash hair.

LivinLaVidaLoki Thu 16-Jul-15 14:29:30

I only ever really tip at Christmas (tightwad emoticon), but thats really because its so expensive to get it done in the first place and the figure is never a figure I can just round up to.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Thu 16-Jul-15 14:31:14

Nope, never tip hairdressers.

PoppyShakespeare Thu 16-Jul-15 14:37:26

tip? shock have only very recently begun to have hair cut at a proper salon and it was £185 last time, did not cross my mind to tip, too busy wheedling a discount and some free redken extreme antisnap stuff

but he is Quite Hot and gave me his number so it's ok

(Hair does not even look that amazing two weeks and a lot of sun/swim later)

TheBeagleHasLanded Thu 16-Jul-15 14:40:19

I don't understand tipping hairdressers.

The salon I go to charges £70 for a colour and another £35 for a cut (Toni & Guy). I go there because I'm happy with how they do my hair after my last hairdresser broke my hair off colouring it. BUT I can only just afford those prices. I know the junior staff are on low wages, but that's how many, many jobs start out. I've just been served by a checkout girl in Tescos but I'm not expected to tip her, so why the hairdressers? If I went to a beauty salon and had a treatment I wouldn't expect to tip the therapist either.

Or am I missing something really obvious??

bikeandrun Thu 16-Jul-15 14:49:23

Hair dressing apprentices often only earn £2.60 an hour so slipping them a few pound coins makes a big difference ( so my friends daughter tells me!) I do it after she has finished washing my hair and i am waiting for the hairdresser to come over. I know a lot of other workers are low paid but it just something I have always done.

StayGoldPonyBoy Thu 16-Jul-15 14:51:27

I'm a hairdresser. I dont care if you tip me or not but please tip the assistants unless they're misery arses. They get paid £3 an hour so its nice and pays for their lunch that day!

If you know your stylist is self employed too a tip is much appreciated. Just round up or something, it doesnt have to be a percentage. Make sure to say who its for or ask if they have their own tip box. Otherwise, the receptionist or owner will likely pocket it!

I have regulars who tip me every time, but we have a really close relationship at this point and its usually '£10 to get wine for you and dh/a treat for the kids' or something. I always get surprised if new clients leave anything.

hotlikeme Thu 16-Jul-15 14:52:52

I find the whole tipping at hairdressers thing embarrassing. I pay a lot of money for what basically amounts to a trim so don't feel inclined to top. If they want more money from me I would rather they just upped the price.

hugoagogo Thu 16-Jul-15 14:53:56

I don't tip.

mrsmeerkat Thu 16-Jul-15 14:55:26

185 pounds .... holy fuckamole

i give 2 quid

rubyflipper Thu 16-Jul-15 14:59:44

I thought the convention was that you didn't tip the salon owner, but you should tip the hairstylist and certainly give a couple of quid to the apprentice who shampoos your hair because they are on a pittance.
Tips are part of the price for getting your hair done. I always make sure I have pound coins in my purse when I go. Saves faffing about at the end when all you want to do is go home.

StayGoldPonyBoy Thu 16-Jul-15 15:01:34

Less than £3 an hour that should have said!

bikeandrun Thu 16-Jul-15 15:01:48

You would think if the salon is charging £185 a pop the juniors might get a bit more but sadly this doesn't seem to be the case.

PetiteBateau Thu 16-Jul-15 15:01:59

I don't tip the hairdresser. I pay £42 for a trim. I work for the NHS & don't earn a huge amount. I don't believe I should tip

rubyflipper Thu 16-Jul-15 15:02:07

If I'm getting the whole caboodle done (hair weave, with the front and sides of my own hair chemically straightened plus trim) the whole thing comes to about £100. I tip the shampoo girl £2; nothing for the salon owner if she's doing my hair; and £5 if it's another stylist).

andadietcoke Thu 16-Jul-15 15:02:15

Ooh, I love the Redken anti snap stuff grin

juicynectarines Thu 16-Jul-15 16:22:27

I never tip either. Pay a fortune for my hair (colour and cut). Why should I also tip?! Really worried now that I'm missing something confused

MaggieJoyBlunt Thu 16-Jul-15 16:24:55

£185!? <faints>

Is it a really good cut?

hugoagogo Thu 16-Jul-15 16:29:26

My stylist always washes my hair- I haven't had an apprentice do it for twenty odd years maybe it's because I don't go on a Saturday? If I did have one I might tip them, but I would prefer them to be properly paid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now