Henna for hair

(13 Posts)
EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 12-Jul-15 17:27:35

I have always dyed my hair red but as it's going grey the colour isn't covering it. I have been wary of henna because of hassle, mess and looking like a 90s hippie concerns.
If I try it a) will it cover grey hair properly b) will it fade quickly c) will it ruin my hair for chemical dyes if I don't like it and d) is it a horrible faff? Oh and e) will it look like a 90s art teacher?

ZaraW Sun 12-Jul-15 17:49:39

What colour is your natural hair? I have naturally red hair and use a mixture of cassia and henna to cover the few grey hairs I have. The initial application is messy but much easier when just doing the roots. I get mine from justforredheads and only apply for 15 minutes.

MrsCocoa Sun 12-Jul-15 17:55:30

a) Yes, brilliant orange. b) No. c) Not if you carefully choose 100% vegetable henna with no metallic salts or other additives etc. d) It's messy, but does leave your hair in lovely condition. e) Possibly. depends on your hair cut and jewellery (avoid anything big that clanks).

Amrapaali Sun 12-Jul-15 18:12:35

Mix the henna with pure indigo. It tones down the orange brassiness....

ZaraW Sun 12-Jul-15 18:14:46

If you want strawberry blonde mix cassia and henna. Henna can look natural if you mix it properly. If you add alma powder it can tone down the orange and make the henna more brown.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 12-Jul-15 18:40:44

Oh god that all sounds really complicated. Does it last? Fade quickly? It might be worth the faff if I could just do a whole head application every couple of months...

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 12-Jul-15 18:41:14

Naturally light mousy brown but hair is dyed red.

chocbacktochoc Sun 12-Jul-15 20:57:24

henna will not wash out, it is permanent and will grow out.

I don't find it messy. just mix it up the night before. wash hair, slap it on (takes 5 mins - shoulder length hair), put plastic bag on top for 2h and rinse it. then wash my hair as usual.

henna is a brilliant conditioner too. just make sure you get high quality henna.

I tend to get it from hennaboy.

chocbacktochoc Sun 12-Jul-15 20:58:18

oh, and I mix henna with cassia (50/50) otherwise it gets too dark for me.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 12-Jul-15 21:15:18

Ok, can you link where you get the henna and cassia from? And what is this about mixing it with chamomile tea or something?

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 12-Jul-15 21:15:51

Sorry forgot to say please

chocbacktochoc Sun 12-Jul-15 21:39:44

www.henna-boy.co.uk/

I brew up a strong cup of camomile tea (use 2 tea bags) and use the brew to mix it into the henna powder instead of water.

LovelyFriend Sun 12-Jul-15 21:48:07

The lush henna is great. They put coco butter in it which makes it a lot less messy than any other I've used. It's a thicker consistency. Less dribbles.

It's a bit of a faff but easy enough. Use gloves. Put thick Vaseline or cold cream on the skin around your hairline beforehand.

I get good coverage of greys though they do fade a bit faster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now