Perfect bra for one's shape...where on earth to begin?

(9 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Thu 09-Jul-15 19:58:14

I have read lots of threads on the bra interventions and according to the measurements I would be 32/34 Gish. I have been wearing 34F generally, but I struggle to find something that gives a good shape. I have a look on the usual sites but get overwhelmed at the massive array of styles and just get fed up. I simply don't know what to start with.
When I look for a bra I generally look for something unpadded (don't need any more bulk adding thank you!) and in a good firm fabric that won't stretch.
I want them to be supported inwards a little from the sides as well as upwards - I think the crappy bras that don't bring the sides in level with my ribcage actually make me look wider. I want support that will give a bit of lift - after babies they tend to sit about an inch lower (!) and again, it all sort of pushes on my torso and I look thicker. I know that a properly fitting bra will actually make me slimmer because my clothes will fit properly - I've just lost my way a bit. I'd like a little bit of cleavage so not a completely full cup - but not shovelled up togther either!
The best bra I ever had was a Rigby and Peller, I swear I was a whole dress size smaller in it, though I can't afford it for every day! I don't even live remotely close to a shop anyway.
I have seen Freya mentioned a lot - deco and patsy?
What do people mean when they say top/bottom heavy? I suspect this has a big impact on the style you should choose?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

keeponkeepinon Thu 09-Jul-15 20:31:21

ps, I find that I get digging in on my shoulders and have a mental block thing with the whole 'get a smaller back size' thing cos I can just imagine it digging in and looking dreadful.

jsut took a closer look at the freya deco - is it padded - does it add volume? I don't want any increase to my measurements!

stripytees Thu 09-Jul-15 21:51:45

Have a look at Fantasie side support bras.

sleeplessinselondon Thu 09-Jul-15 21:57:01

Fantasie Elodie is very good with good side support and very comfy - I'm a 32GG and it's tight but not too tight!

plumstone Fri 10-Jul-15 08:50:07

Another one for Fantasie Elodie - I am exactly the same size as you OP and for a birthday got R&P black and nude bras - they are not quite kept for "best" but pretty close!!!

Elodie for me is good for every day have black white and nude two of each and rotate. Bravissimo for fitting - I know some people hate them - but I found them so helpful and great for choice!

SnozzberryPie Fri 10-Jul-15 08:54:45

I second bravissimo for a fitting. Two women with the same bra size can have quite different shaped boobs and it is worth figuring out which brands and styles fit you best. Freya bras are made for someone with a wider frame than me but panache fit perfectly.

Branleuse Fri 10-Jul-15 08:59:04

freya deco is very lightly padded but i wouldnt say it adds bulk. It gives giod rounded shape and hides nipples-sort of padded. Worth a try. Ive got a couple x

Branleuse Fri 10-Jul-15 09:00:59

patsy has two styles. One really retro and pointy (unpadded)
and the other i cant get to fit me properly at all (half cup)

Great looking bras but i wouldnt recommend either

Greenrememberedhills Fri 10-Jul-15 09:02:58

If I were you I would go for a proper fitting just once at somewhere like john Lewis or bravissimo . Then you can order online later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now