Does anyone have 'olive toned' skin rather than just olive skin?

(17 Posts)
MrBeansMother Sun 28-Jun-15 11:30:34

I have a skin colour which is unmistakeably slightly olive in its undertone. But in certain lights it can go to looking very tanned to then white and creamy coloured. It's bizarre. I've had people tell me I'm so pale and then others tell me I've got olive skin or am not proper 'white' coloured. Sil says I am olive but mil disagrees and says I'm white. I have a distant mixed background if that's relevant.

Anyone else have this colouring? It's so frustrating. I tan gradually but go pretty dark if I'm out for a long while. Colours I can wear are peaches, pinks, yellows and golds. I look awful in black, brown, blue, some reds and pastels. I've got green/hazel eyes and very dark hair. I'd love to know what makeup anyone uses or general skincare.

MountainDweller Sun 28-Jun-15 12:25:58

I think my skin tone is similar, tho no mixed background here. I have dark brown eyes and dark hair (now dyed back to its natural colour to hide greys) and people often ask if I am Spanish or Italian. Tan easily and don't burn.

Most of the colours you wear don't suit me at all, which I think is interesting! I do wear pink in summer (but it has to be fuchsia pink). I wear lots of purples, greens, and dark reds, plus lilac and pale-ish yellows in summer. Most blues are awful but I wear navy trousers. Black, white, cream and grey are ok but anything beige is dreadful!

My yellowish undertones make it really hard to find a foundation that is even close to my skintone, but Bare Minerals is working for me - I use a mix of fairly light and light, varying the proportions according to how tanned I am!

Naicecuppatea Sun 28-Jun-15 16:38:39

I think I'm the same, except I tan extremely quickly and can go very dark if I don't wear a high factor SPF. I am mixed race (half Indian) but people tend to think I am Mediterranean as in the winter I am much paler.

I wear a lot of greens, greys, blues and khakis (not really sure what suits!). I don't find it easy to find a foundation that matches.

Golfhotelromeofoxtrot Sun 28-Jun-15 16:52:02

I'm very similar, but I do wear black- though it looks best in the summer when my skin is browner. One memorable holiday as a teen I was outside so much my legs almost looked green. I often get people commenting how my skin is never the same colour all over- particularly when I was younger and would get a tan just from being outside for half an hour in an outfit that would get colour on my legs but not arms, for example.

I like wearing dark brown eyeshadow on my lids and wear a primer with spf every day. Pink on my cheeks always makes me look well, and nude colour on my lips (angel by Mac is my favourite) is good for every day.

BlankXpression Sun 28-Jun-15 20:34:08

My mother is like this. She has dark hair and green eyes, is basically pale, but has an olive undertone to her skin and tans (but also burns?!) easily.

I think its a lovely colouring to have.

Maybe get your colours done if you're finding it tricky to know what suits you?

Me too, pale but olive toned skin, hazel eyes, dark brown hair. Tan slightly but never go dark, and burn easily. I've struggled with foundations too, but am now very happy with Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser.

I can't wear yellow, gold, peach, coral, olive green or pastels. I can wear bright greens, blues, fuchsia, red, black so long as it's not head to toe.

I also struggle with eyeshadows, I'm fine with pale neutrals but deeper browns look awful. Copper is nice, mauve has to be used very sparingly as do greens/blues.

eurochick Sun 28-Jun-15 20:45:15

I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm quite pale but have a definite yellow/olive tinge to my skin tone. My eyes are very dark brown. As far as I know, I have no mixed heritage but I think there must be something a few generations back. My mum and her dad have/had the same colouring.

I think my baby has it too. She was prem and they kept repeating the jaundice tests as she had a yellowish tinge! My husband is Irish and so pale he is almost translucent so she doesn't get it from him.

eurochick Sun 28-Jun-15 20:46:26

Forgot to say, pastels don't work on my at all. Peach and pale pink make me look horribly washed out. Primary colours and darks are good. White and cream are fine.

OftheTwilighttheDarkness Sun 28-Jun-15 20:53:54

I have light olive skin, I look better with a bit of a tan but in the winter I can look very sallow. I have green eyes and usually stick with warm Browns for eyeshadow. I wear mainly warm colours and never pastels.

Euro - I never thought of the baby thing! My DS (11) has the exact same skin tone as me and was thought to be jaundiced at birth when he wasn't. It was a very traumatic delivery though.

MillieMoodle Sun 28-Jun-15 21:04:27

Yes, I do as well. I tan quickly and easily and don't really burn but in the winter look very pale. My face doesn't tan well though. I have green eyes and my natural hair colour was black when I was born, then it all fell out when I was 1, grew back light blonde but gradually got darker over the years to a sort of mousy brown (although it goes blonde again very quickly in the sun). I've got blonde highlights at the moment though as lighter hair makes me look less pale. I'm not really sure what colours suit me but tend to wear lighter colours. Brown eyeshadow always!

I've also got a lot of moles which I hate with a passion.

eurochick Sun 28-Jun-15 21:11:21

I have loads of moles too but put that down to being a child in the 80s when factor 8 was considered a high level sun cream!

TheMightyMing Sun 28-Jun-15 23:39:34

I am a light olive. Sallow skin, brown eyes and hair. I tan but burn , so stay out if the sun. My family are Irish on one side so dark hair but pale skin, my dad is English but could be mistaken for Arabic he goes brown just looking at the sun, except he has blue eyes!

Just back from Turkey, where I was mistaken for a native many times! And I'm not very brown. In fact my natural colour means I need one of the lightest Clinique foundations. I'm a bit strange I think.

Colourwise I like black, white, grey, bright cobalt value, red , navy and so on. Muddy autumn colours don't suit me.

Glassesdontsuitme Mon 29-Jun-15 11:50:39

I'm like you op but my eyes are green. I tan easily but burn if I'm not too careful. When I do tan it has a greeny tinge and I am v.envious of all the people who go a lovely golden colour.

I had my colours done and was diagnosed as a bright/paintbox spring. The absolute worst colours on me are brown and burgundy. Both make me look like death. Certain pastels I can do, peach and pale lemon for instance, but they have to be a certain shade iyswim.

Make up wise, foundation is a nightmare I still haven't found 'the one'. My eyes look best with bronze or peach and neutral colours. Blush is Mac in Peach or Bobbi Brown Apricot which is scary in the pan but is a lovely natural pink shade on. Lipstick, well the brighter the better! I never would have worn bright shades before I had my colours done but seeing how it transformed my face convinced me to try.

In short, both for clothes and makeup, I need clear colours. Muddy or muted just makes me look ill and washed out.

squizita Mon 29-Jun-15 19:06:57

Yep I'm white as a sheet but cool pinky foundations look dreadful on me as I'm yellow/olive based.
I've found things have got better. I buy the palest shades of kiko foundation, also Milan (online). Back in the 90s there was nothing.

squizita Mon 29-Jun-15 19:09:00

...Weirdly I can wear most colours, I'm quite "neutral" ... like a blobby sallow blank canvas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now