Hair Colouring - please help a first timer!

(6 Posts)
BasicBetty Tue 23-Jun-15 13:24:02

The time has come. I have very dark brown hair and the smattering of greys is multiplying rapidly. I have lots of wispy greys around my temples and some long wiry ones in the rest of my hair.

I am a hair colour virgin and don't want to go down a high maintenance route.

Btw, I have tried Charles Worthington spray (a bloody disaster) and the Colour Wow palette (very good, but not quite "enough" for my dark hair).

I seem to have two options according to hairdresser:

1. Foils - to colour greys to match natural hair colour

2. Put colour through all my hair to match natural colour.

Hmm, well I think that's what she said...

WWYD? Any advantages/disadvantages I should be aware of. I am completely clueless confused

BasicBetty Wed 24-Jun-15 12:57:38

Anyone?

CordeliaFoxx Wed 24-Jun-15 13:05:40

If you had foils you could have a few different colours put through and give it a new lease of life, root growth isn't to fast with foils, every 2 months or so.

If you have a full head colour you could stick to your natural colour to cover the grey or go a bit different to spice it up, full head colour you are looking at needing done slightly more, probably every 6 weeks.

BasicBetty Wed 24-Jun-15 13:11:20

Ah thank you, that helps. Sounds like foils are the way to go initially flowers

knowler Wed 24-Jun-15 13:24:49

It sounds as if i've got exactly the same hair as you. I have all over colour now at the hairdressers with a permanent colour on the roots and then a semi-perm on the rest of it. I have so far had it done 3 times and have had gaps of on average 10 weeks between colours.

this to me is low maintenance and the colour that my hairdresser uses is bloody fantastic - basically like my natural colour only better. The shine on it is great and since i've had it done i've had so many comments about how i never age blush

i ummed and ahhed about it for ages, but just get it done! my hair looks better now (age 37) than it has done for years.

AMcoffeeLover Wed 24-Jun-15 14:58:21

Im 100% hooked on foils. Nothing compares for range of colour tones and re growth time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now