Gel nail kit recommendations

(10 Posts)
Penguinandminipenguin Mon 22-Jun-15 18:39:32

I've been having gelish (I think it's called, bluesky etc) nails done for a while, but I'm moving away from my nail technician. I thought rather than pay the expensive prices in the new area, I could buy a kit and do it at home myself.

I've looked at the Sensationail kits from Boots, but they seem quite expensive. I've just been looking on ebay and there's so many different kits with the UV lamp, gels etc. I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations so that I don't waste my money on something rubbish!

Tia smile

hooliodancer Mon 22-Jun-15 23:00:32

The Boots one is great. I love it actually, it's easy and lasts ages!

Penguinandminipenguin Tue 23-Jun-15 10:41:25

Ahh ok, that's good to know, thank you. If it's worth the money, I might go for that then.

nailsathome Tue 23-Jun-15 10:43:39

Gelish is not the same as bluesky. You won't be able to buy professional brands without a qualification.

You also need to consider whether they are soak off or buff off. You could do considerable damage to your nails using these without training.

TinyBit Tue 23-Jun-15 10:47:48

I have this Bluesky starter set from Amazon and it's great! I've easily used it enough times to make it worth the money.

Mine came with three random nail colours, but some appear to let you choose the colours.

You need to make sure you get a base coat, top coat, colour (obv), alcohol wipes and acetone for removal. You can use other brands of gel polish with the kit too, you don't have to stick with Bluesky products.

SheepAreSuper Tue 23-Jun-15 11:12:51

The Sensationail starter kit is currently £45 in Boots.
I use Red Carpet Manicure and find the formula marginally better but they're very similar.

BubbleFairieish Tue 23-Jun-15 13:02:08

You can buy Gelish plus other salon brands here

I also use bluesy and it's pretty good, I bought a starter kit then mix and match brands depending on colours etc. I also have a few sensationail colours which are also good, but wait for them to come on offer in Boots first smile

Penguinandminipenguin Tue 23-Jun-15 20:02:01

Thanks everyone smile Will research the suggestions. Does it take long to do? I'm just now worrying I'll be wasting my money as I may not find the time once dd is born!

jackstini Tue 23-Jun-15 22:01:37

Is pretty quick - I can do in about 25 mins, but it's the fact you can do stuff straight after (like changing nappies!) as it's completely dry. That saves time.
Boots are always having deals on - the red starter kit has got 25 off at the minute.
If you sign up to the Sensationail website they email you when there are flash sales on too smile
If you don't want to buff/soak/foil remove - use Nail Shields so you can peel it off wink

Penguinandminipenguin Sun 28-Jun-15 17:19:20

Ooo awesome, thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now