12yo and make up

(24 Posts)
TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Fri 19-Jun-15 08:33:48

Dd keeps asking to have a play with my make up. I would be perfectly happy to let her do so - if I had any! But I don't wear make up.

I have stage make up (Leichner greasepaints, Panstick, etc) from my AmDram days, facepaint from my school fete days, and a couple of boxes of neutrals from my brief foray into 'real' make up.

Please advise me what to get!

I have very sensitive skin (fragrance allergy), and I would like dd to be able to experiment on me, too, if possible.

Also, what about cleansing afterwards?

Carpaccio Fri 19-Jun-15 09:54:51

If you have sensitive skin, then Clinique might be a good match for you - their products are afaik fragrance free and if you should react to the products, they are helpful.

For cleansing, I would get a cleansing balm - Clinique's Take the Day off is good. They also have eye makeup remover, but I have found that the balm gets everything off really well.
There's also micellar water - loads of brands have it. It works well, but I have found a few of them to be quite irritating on the skin and around the eyes and some contain a lot of fragrance. The ones that have caused me irritation have been from La Roche Posay.

La Roche Posay and Vichy have a few makeup products, and they are formulated for sensitive skin and eyes. I have used the LRP mascaras and have quite happy with them.

For cheaper products, I would look at Sleek, but I am not sure if the products are any good for sensitive skin and if they contain fragrance. Their eyeshadow and blusher palettes are quite nice.

Most of the higher end brands add loads of perfume to their products. I like Mac a lot, and Nars and Urban Decay get good reviews, but again, I am not sure about fragrance.

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Fri 19-Jun-15 10:03:51

Thanks smile

Shows how aware I am of make up that I haven't even heard of some of those brands!

I also have no idea what products or colours to buy.

(I really do not want dd to end up like me. If she also ends up make-up-free, let it be through choice, not through embarrassed ignorance.)

Bramshott Fri 19-Jun-15 10:04:56

I just get No 7 stuff when they are giving out the £3 off vouchers in Boots....

AnimalsAreMyFriends Fri 19-Jun-15 10:10:50

I bought my 12 yo dd Natural Collections make up from Boots - it's kind to young skin (she has v v v sensitive skin) It's reasonably priced, and the colours are subtle.

bryte Fri 19-Jun-15 10:16:38

I've bought Natural collections from Boots also for DD1 who is 12.

Carpaccio Fri 19-Jun-15 10:19:30

It depends on what you want and feel that you need. You really can do whatever you want.

If you want something to even out your skin, you could get a foundation, tinted moisturiser or BB cream (it is a tinted moisturiser, just with a new name and more SPF). I suggest asking for samples so you can make sure it looks good on your skin all day, that the colour is right (it needs to match your skintone so it looks natural and matches your body) and so you know you do not react badly to it.

Mascara - I often wear this without any other makeup and would probably start with this if I only had to buy one makeup product.

Lip products - this really is up to you. If you don't feel like wearing a lip product, don't bother. You can get many products; lip balm, tinted lip balm, sheer lipsticks, opaque lipsticks, gloss and so on.
I like a classic lipstick (any colour) as it can be sheered out and worn as a stain with or without a lip balm on top, worn in the traditional way and even as a blusher.

I think blusher makes a massive difference, especially if wearing foundation. It just adds a bit extra colour and life to the face. I would either go for a colour similar to the colour that your cheeks get when you blush naturally or match your blusher to the lip colour you'll wear. It really depends on your preferences.

Eyeshadows - I would start out with neutral colours.

There are loads videos about makeup and how to apply it on youtube. I recommend Lisa Eldridge, Sharon Farrell and Pixiwoo. Maybe the videos can give you some inspiration and help you figure out what you would like.

Carpaccio Fri 19-Jun-15 10:23:18

I am assuming it isn't for your DD to go outside with a full face of makeup, btw. If you want to get something really natural that she can go out wearing, maybe a clear mascara (you can't see if it smudges so there would be no panda eyes) and a tinted lip balm would be enough.

Loafline Fri 19-Jun-15 11:05:18

Dd likes lip balm and clear mascara, she uses a cover stick for a blemish she is very conscious of, but in general she prefers the very natural look and at this age they have such beautiful skin...they should enjoy it. grin

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Fri 19-Jun-15 11:59:09

What's the point of clear mascara? (Genuine puzzled ignorance!)

Dd has a child's naturally beautiful glow - well, I would say that, I'm her mother grin - but now is the time to experiment and learn.

homebythesea Fri 19-Jun-15 12:55:50

For a treat I really recommend the Bobbi brown teen makeup lesson which is free at counters and in my experience no hard sell. Major focus is on skincare then they do a really lovely natural makeup- tinted moisturiser, concealer, mascara and lipgloss. All things you could buy cheaper elsewhere but the benefit is being taught how to apply proper,y and it sounds like as your DD can't sit and watch you this might be useful!

Loafline Fri 19-Jun-15 12:57:05

Clear mascara darkens the lashes but they remain natural looking.

She's been experimenting with make up since she was 5! We've gone through the red lipstick and blue eyeshadow phase. shock
It took me quite a while to convince dd that her that her complexion was clear and beautiful and that foundation was meant to deliver her type of skin but it rarely did.
I so wish someone had taken me aside and helped me appreciate the beauty of my skin just as it was. smile

daftyburd Fri 19-Jun-15 13:00:07

I think there are bloggers on YouTube that do makeup. They are teenagers themselves so pitch it at that level. My daughter only watches Minecraft mods so don't know any names.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 19-Jun-15 15:03:02

Carpaccio- do you have any contact with 12 year olds? It's a rare one that has just a bit of lip balm and clear mascara these daysgrin

OP- I second Natural Collection and recommend The Body Shop camomile cleansing balm which is a cheaper version of the Clinique one mentioned .

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 19-Jun-15 15:10:42

Just noticed you have sensitive skin - loreal micellar eye makeup remover gel and E45 wash and a warm flannel.

Loafline Fri 19-Jun-15 17:09:45

Very happy to have a rare one then! smile

CointreauVersial Fri 19-Jun-15 17:42:09

Don't whatever you do buy her anything expensive!

DD1, when she was 13,was given a whole set of Benefit makeup by DM, and now she has been spoiled and turns her nose up at the cheap stuff. When I was a teen it was Rimmel and Barry M all the way (and Miners, remember that?). grin

Fairylea Fri 19-Jun-15 17:47:46

My dd is 12 and she mainly wears collection 2000 or whatever it's called now in super drug. She has the pressed powder foundation, some mascara and a few eyeshadows. She wears a bit of lip gloss too, sometimes just vaseline as it makes her lips shiny and she likes that.

Most of her friends wear far more than she does. Some of them look really scary! Especially with all the heavy eyebrows that are fashionable at the moment.

She watches a lot of vloggers on you tube like zoella and Tanya burr (her book is really good for tips for make up). She also likes more alternative vloggers like Keira rose (although she does swear a fair bit so beware)!

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Fri 19-Jun-15 17:49:49

Thanks for your advice, ladies.

We've just been out shopping and bought:
Simple micellar wipes (I thought they'd be easier for her to manage than lotion, and they are suitable for eyes so should be fairly gentle, I think)
No7 clear mascara
Boots do another range - Naturals? I don't remember blush but it's fragrance-free, and dd chose 2 eye make up powder pallets (so 4 colours in all) in subdued shades and 2 different styles of lip gloss from that range. She needed guidance wink choosing 'suitable' colours!

Then we looked at make up brushes. shock I skimped there and bought her a mini set plus some eye make up pad-sticks.

One very happy dd.

Though I've told her that anything else she wants - she buys!

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Fri 19-Jun-15 17:53:41

Doh! Of course - Naturals Collection is one of the recommendations on this thread! I hadn't twigged about the fragrance free, only realised when I actually looked at the stuff.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 19-Jun-15 18:21:22

If you want some nice brushes then Real Techniques are fantastic and very reasonable. Look on Amazon as they are half the price on there compared to Boots.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 19-Jun-15 18:22:34

You sound like a very nice mum, I have to make do with going hair product shopping with dsgrin

homebythesea Fri 19-Jun-15 23:22:56

My young teen and her friends don't bother with eyeshadow tbh (and none of my adult friends do either- maybe there's a connection!) but they do go big on eyeliner and mascara. A good concealer is really worth it for pimple disguising, and they can get away with that and tinted moisturiser at school (makeup verboten) so they can feel a bit rebellious grin

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 20-Jun-15 08:38:19

Thanks, DameDiazepam smile (I appreciate my good fortune - ds lets me pin him down about once a month and extract blackheads!)

What's the routine after cleaning the makeup off? I always used to cleanse, rinse with water, and moisturise. Anything more would irritate my skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now