Festival waterproof anyone?

(16 Posts)
EachandEveryone Thu 18-Jun-15 09:32:41

Should I buy now or wait until I get there? Anyone seen anything lightweight but will work? And looks remotely ok.

Melonfool Thu 18-Jun-15 10:09:41

None of them look OK. I'd take one with you though, they will be expensive there and sell out if it actually rains.

We bought one for dp that looks like the hazmat suit they wore in Breaking Bad, from Mankind. I think it was £10.

Best place for basic ones is GoOutdoors or Mountain Warehouse.

FauxFox Thu 18-Jun-15 10:18:59

Cute ones on asos

MakeTeaNotWar Thu 18-Jun-15 14:27:49

Def get one before you go as they'll be overpriced there. I bought this one on khaki for Glasto

www.clothingattesco.com/coats+jackets/f+f-jersey-lined-waxed-jacket/invt/bt510013&bklist=icat,4,shop,catgwomens,womens-coats-and-jackets

leedy Thu 18-Jun-15 14:52:28

Do get something that's actually waterproof (ie has taped seams, etc.) rather than just showerproof - if it does actually piss down you'll be happily dry while people with lesser but more stylish jackets will have wet shoulders.

EuphemiaCoxton Thu 18-Jun-15 15:06:45

Army surplus. They can be heavy but they will not let water in.

HelenF350 Thu 18-Jun-15 15:57:09

Agree, make sure it is waterproof not just showerproof. I made that mistake a few years ago and ended up missing nearly a whole day of a festival in my tent dying because I'd been drenched in my very nice but not very waterproof Mac. After that incident I just stuck to ponchos from pound land grin

Runningupthathill82 Thu 18-Jun-15 16:19:41

Decathlon's most basic model, in a bright colour, would be your best bet. They're cheap, but properly waterproof (taped seams etc). Definitely don't get one when you get there, you'll be paying 5x the price for something crap!

Glitteryfrog Thu 18-Jun-15 17:32:40

Buy a decent one and keep it forever.
m.blacks.co.uk/womens/079988-peter-storm-womens-storm-waterproof-jacket-black.html if you don't want to spend too much.
I've got an expensive gore tex one which I wear where ever it rains, festivals, on the way to/from work, shopping etc
If you know its going to rain get waterproof trousers.
Once you're wet at a festival you won't get dry or warm.

leedy Thu 18-Jun-15 21:35:52

"Once you're wet at a festival you won't get dry or warm."

This. This is why I find all those festival fashion articles advocating cowboy boots or boho rompers ridiculous - the only decent ones I've read have been by people who've actually been to a lot of festivals (eg Lauren Laverne) and have actual practical recs like "do not wear a playsuit, it will be hell in the portaloos".

As a veteran of many Glastonburies etc. in the 90s and early 2000s my approach to festival dressing was a lot more like planning a multi-day hike in unpredictable weather - light hiking boots, proper rain gear, sun hat, small backpack for bog roll, shorts/skirts because mud is easier to get off legs than trousers, etc. Obviously with some sparkly lip gloss as well, I wasn't completely joyless...

EachandEveryone Thu 18-Jun-15 22:10:53

I've got two sundresses three pairs of tight one pair of jeans loads of tops ne pair of sandals wellies and converse three pairs of socks. Loads of makeup....

Glitteryfrog Thu 18-Jun-15 22:26:39

high five leedy

It gets cold at night, less sundresses more warm layers!

EachandEveryone Thu 18-Jun-15 22:34:53

Is like a light weight cardi really

YesPleaseJohnSnow Thu 18-Jun-15 22:42:23

I second the army surplus. I got one on e bay, waterproof and windproof with loads of pockets that zip, if it's sunny you can sit on it. I wore it to a festival last year and a few people admired it, and it was only about £20

Glitteryfrog Thu 18-Jun-15 23:01:37

Ok. Take wellies and converse. Don't bother with sandals.
How long are you there? 4 days? Travel in jeans, take shorts x2 you can wear tights under
5 teeshirts.
At least one WARM hoodie/jumper
Water proof coat and trousers
Clean underwear, thick socks for wellies
Baby wipes, toilet roll, plastic bags, a mirror.
It ain't no fashion show, don't let magazines tell you otherwise. Kate Moss et al turn up mid afternoon , mince around for a couple of hours and don't spend four nights in a freezing field!

EachandEveryone Fri 19-Jun-15 06:41:17

Four? I wish. It's five. I count every hour....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now