Has anyone heard of or used this 'whitening' skin cream?

(9 Posts)
CarbeDiem Tue 16-Jun-15 12:04:01

I have acquired (won in a raffle) a pot of this cream/wash/whitening stuff.
It's called - Herborist lulur tradisional bali - green tea extract plus whitening.
I tried to read up on it but the English translation is a bit confusing.
I can gather you slap it on, rub it in then rinse off and it says it's good for cleaning, moisturising and 'whitening' the skin.
Hmm! I'm white anyway.
Do you think it means brightening ?

I'd like to try it on my face as I do have quite oily dull skin with a little darker discolouration and this could maybe help but would like to hear if any others have used this product or something similar before I go slapping it on.

Thanks.

FrugalFashionista Tue 16-Jun-15 12:20:54

Whitening means it's Asian, I googled it and got billions of totally baffling Indonesian beauty blogs.

I've used quite a few Asian whitening creams, and yes, they brighten, some of them immediately. They also gradually lighten pigment spots but it is very slow going, don't expect any overnight miracles!

specialsubject Tue 16-Jun-15 16:39:15

be very careful.

Asian culture seems to be for 'fair' skin, while the Europeans stake themselves out to look like their handbags. The ads you see in Asia are clearly photoshopped to hell. There are some 'whitening' creams that work, slightly less dangerously than ceruse. Most are snake oil and do nothing. That's probably what you've got - the green tea is a dead giveaway for beauty-bollocks as it has no powers at all apart from making a hot drink.

chuck it. If it is in the UK it should be safe but not everything goes through customs.

CarbeDiem Wed 17-Jun-15 08:00:09

Thanks for the replies.
Yes those blogs are the ones I got too smile
From what I could translate, I don't think there's anything sinister in it, it all seems to be natural.

Special - I'm not entirely sure how it got into the UK - like I said I won it.
I'm more curious of the way you should use it and the photo's I seen when it cleans your skin - it goes manky as you rub if your skin is dirty - I love anything like that smile rather than for it's whitening powers.
I'm more olive skinned than milk white but still white enough, although I do have a few patches of skin, mostly old scars that are a bit darker.
I'm going to try for a few days and see how it feels.

Lunastarfish Wed 17-Jun-15 08:03:42

Some 'whitening' creams are just very high SPF - accordingly they succeed in whitening Asian skin because the wearer doesn't get a tan.

Others are just outright dangerous with all sjustorts of untested chemicals

CarbeDiem Wed 17-Jun-15 08:42:42

Thanks I will look and check the ingredients. It does say natural but there's got to be something in there for the whitening.

Picachew Wed 17-Jun-15 09:11:21

Hydroquinone and kojiic acid are a bit dodgy so be careful!

Picachew Wed 17-Jun-15 09:25:16

I get the impression it's a body scrub.

specialsubject Wed 17-Jun-15 11:40:53

natural does not equate to safe.
chemical does not equate to dangerous.

it may be something designed to look mucky when you rub it in.

if you want a facial scrub, go buy a cheapie with non-plastic particles. Or use a rough flannel, or even a handful of sea salt. (which is a chemical)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now