Hair removal for teen DD above lip

(14 Posts)
LadyPenelope Mon 15-Jun-15 22:48:52

DD has dark hair. She is almost 15 and I noticed this week that the hair above her lip is growing quite dark and she has a bit of a moustache. She hasn't noticed yet, and before she does want to provide solution for her. and before someone else does. I'm fair so never had this problem. Needs to be low maintenance option if possible as she has very little spare time to visit a beauty salon but what's best option ... Waxing, threading, laser, ectrolosis?

TIA

Madratlady Mon 15-Jun-15 22:50:29

Leave it until she mentions it. No need to make her self conscious.

If she does want to remove it, I found veet wax strips best.

andadietcoke Mon 15-Jun-15 22:53:38

I disagree. If you've noticed it, someone else will, and they will be much crueler in telling her, as they were to me. In the canteen at lunchtime. With an audience. My nana took me to get it waxed. She blamed herself!!

pinkje Mon 15-Jun-15 22:54:27

what about bleaching it?

dollydaydreamers Mon 15-Jun-15 22:56:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SansaSnow Mon 15-Jun-15 22:59:27

She needs an epiwand! Got mine from Amazon and it's the best long-term low maintenance solution. She can do it whenever she needs to so no worry about booking appointments or regrowth.

LadyPenelope Mon 15-Jun-15 23:16:30

Thanks for answers so far! Lots of options. I will definitely tell her but want to also have the plan of how she deals with it. (She shave legs and underarm already so I know it will bother her).

Bleaching no good I think ... Think you'd still see it as hairs are quite course. If wax, is it like legs where you get stubbly growth until it grows long enough to wax again?

What's an epi wand? Off to google ...

RavioliOnToast Tue 16-Jun-15 10:39:06

I wax my upper lip and have done for years, needs.doing about every 3 weeks, but I agree that a good salon will whip it straight off. mine makes me more conscious as I wear makeup everyday and my powder clings to the fine hair and makes me look dirty. It's no big deal, may hurt the first time a bit but will become more used to it the more she has it done, and no it doesn't come back stubbly, just comes through soft

carrie74 Tue 16-Jun-15 13:42:49

Yes waxing in a salon (or if really no time, then something you can use at home, but they're not as good IME).

I've actually started using a home IPL machine, which is fantastic. I use it for leg, underarms, bikini and now top lip, all to great success. They're not cheap, but over the long run may be worth considering. Although I shave everything else before using the machine (as per instructions), I couldn't bear the thought of shaving top lip first, so zapped without and it's still worked.

glitteryflange Tue 16-Jun-15 16:29:34

When I was younger I used a hair remover disc.

Worked really well and still does.

GemmeFatale Wed 17-Jun-15 05:17:58

Threading. You can DIY it or get it done quick and cheap in most towns

Moln Wed 17-Jun-15 05:23:41

Definitely threading

Takes no time at all, and lasts a reasonable amount of time too.

Moln Wed 17-Jun-15 05:24:41

Though the one that'd hurt the least is hair removal cream.

FoodieMum3 Wed 17-Jun-15 10:46:56

Waxing at salon, definitely. It's no big deal. I get it done once a month, used hair removal cream for years but all it does is burn the skin while removing hair shock

I would approach it gently, tell her you have it too, that most women do, just to make her feel less self conscious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now