Intensive hair conditioner recommendations for medication affected hair

(7 Posts)
mrsrhodgilbert Mon 15-Jun-15 16:36:31

Last year I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I haven't needed chemo but I do take a drug called tamoxifen, four more years of it to go. A side effect is hair thinning which is very evident now. I am really struggling with the condition of it though, it's getting very dry and fragile. I'm worried about how much more I may lose and keen to protect what's left so I need to invest in a great conditioning treatment I think.

I usually use Aussie shampoo and conditioner but should I be changing that or just giving it some weekly treatments? Any recommendations welcome.

GeorgieB89 Mon 15-Jun-15 17:12:29

I'm sorry you've had such an awful time. I'm not a hair expert but a couple of things: I recently heard from someone who is a hair expert/scientist that actually the cheapest conditioner is the best - something to do with percentage of fats in it (like really cheap - Tesco value level) What makes the most difference is how long you leave it on for (as long as poss -i.e. wash hair, slap on conditioner then do everything else you need to do in the shower, washing it off at last minute), leaving a residue of conditioner on the hair and finally minimum styling/ brushing. Option 2 is at the other end of the scale in terms of cost - the trio of products from Phylia de M (on Victoria's Health website); shampoo, conditioner and a leave-in treatment. Comes in around £100 so it really is an investment. Personally, I'm not a fan of Aussie and if you're looking for a middle ground try Kerastase from salons - in fact, they will have a range for thinning/hair loss although my opinion (based on not much) is that it won't be very effective, although will leave your hair feeling better than Aussie, if that makes sense. I'll see if I can find any more info for you. I hope you're feeling better.

GeorgieB89 Mon 15-Jun-15 17:18:12

I meant to add, you'll find some styling tips on Sophiefeelsbetter, a blog by a beauty editor growing her hair back post-chemo. She has access to such a huge range of products, she will have picked the best ones.

sonata1 Mon 15-Jun-15 17:22:40

I sympathise as I have thyroid cancer induced hair loss. My hair is very dry and thinning. Use a moisturising/volumising shampoo or spray and a deep conditioning treatment masque like Tresemme. They are usually on offer somewhere or other. I also use warm extra virgin olive oil and massage it into my scalp and through the lengths and leave it in for an hour or longer. Then 2 shampoos and a conditioner and style. Your hair will be soft and bouncy.Just make sure you are wearing an old top and cover your shoulders with an old towel

victoryinthekitchen Mon 15-Jun-15 19:34:21

I find that the children's anti-lice conditioners can be very rich and moisturising (probably to stop the lice sticking!) and often smell lovely, also worth staying away from the hairdryer if at all possible. Hope you're feeling better Mrsgilbert.

mrsrhodgilbert Mon 15-Jun-15 20:04:26

Thank you , I've had a quick look at Sophie's blog but haven't looked enough to see any product recommendations. I do leave conditioner in while I do all the other bits anyway. I've tried volumising shampoos before, but they have tended to make my hair feel coated and rough.

I want something to nourish and smooth it really, but thanks sonata and I'm sorry you are suffering too. The olive oil sounds like a possibility. I was wondering about Kerastase, I've never used it before, might have to brave SpaceNK. I know I should stay away from the hair dryer but I don't want to scare children so a bit of styling is required.

Sonata, do you find your scalp feels itchy at all? I keep imagine its hair follicles dying off, probably being melodramatic!! I was lucky to avoid chemo and hair loss, I didn't realise there were other ways to lose your hair.

bigfatfeet Mon 15-Jun-15 20:18:10

I like Philip Kingsley Elasticizer - you use it once a week, leave it on for anything from 20 mins to overnight and it keeps my medication-frazzled, hairdresser-dodging barnet looking reasonably presentable. Also, if you buy it from QVC you can try it and if it's useless you can send it back within 30 days for a refund (I don't work for QVC but do seem to find myself recommending it a lot).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now