Maxi dresses, when do you actually wear them? Also high heeled sandals?

(15 Posts)
YesThisIsMe Mon 15-Jun-15 16:14:26

As short person I've resisted the call of the maxi dress for several years, but I tried on this one in GAP on a whim and I really liked it on me. But when could I possibly ever wear it? (I'm 40-something)

Also what do you reckon to these M&S sandals. Fit well on, but I obviously couldn't walk long distances in them, and I couldn't wear them to work. Short of persuading some random friends to get married what am I to do?

Heels99 Mon 15-Jun-15 16:17:32

I have binned my maxis after realising they were unflattering on me. But used to wear them everywhere! So comfy! Get up in morning, put on, add necklace, job done. School run, shopping, anywhere except work was where I used to wear them.

Those shoes are nice, wear with skinny jeans for an evening out?

burnishedsilver Mon 15-Jun-15 17:22:35

You could wear those shoes to a pub or restaurant.

Put a demin jacket over that maxi dress and you could wear it anywhere except work.

Leviticus Mon 15-Jun-15 17:36:32

Agree with pps, wear the dress day to day (and yes, absolutely you can wear this at any age) and put the shoes with jeans - they are lovely.

Doobigetta Mon 15-Jun-15 17:47:35

I love that dress. I'd wear it to a casual restaurant, or out for lunch on a nice day, or maybe a bbq. Or generally in the evening on holiday. The shoes are nice, but I've got dozens of pairs of stilettos I never wear because they're so impractical. I tend to stick to wedges in summer so I can at least walk for ten minutes in them.

YesThisIsMe Mon 15-Jun-15 19:28:39

OK, you've twisted my arm. All I need now is the appropriate voucher for GAP and to wait until M&S have a 20% off shoes day.

YesThisIsMe Mon 15-Jun-15 19:44:28

....and thanks, obvs thanks

<<hides thread from DP who is stereotypically partial to strappy sandals but objects to beige>>

AnitaPooh Mon 15-Jun-15 23:20:51

Gap have that dress in the sale right now... I think there's a fiver off it.

Oly4 Wed 17-Jun-15 07:17:49

I'm 5ft5 and have loads of maxis, they are so flattering and I ger compliments. I find they need to be fitted on the waist/bust or they drown me. That gap one pulls in nicely at the waist. I'd wear it day to day with flip flops or glitter flats
For a pub lunch. They are so easy! Enjoy

RecoveringPerfectionist Wed 17-Jun-15 10:16:47

I used to think I'd feel overdressed in a maxi dress but I'm a convert. Pair with some casual shoes and a little cardigan if needed. So comfortable. I'm 5'7" and classic hourglass so providing the shape is good (enough room for boobs, pulled it at waist) they can be very flattering. And I have never felt overdressed in one either.

ScrewFix Wed 17-Jun-15 11:16:50

I wear the tee shirt style ones with flip flops on holiday.

The other style maxi I really like is a v-neck one with thickish straps and a bit fitted at the waist. Good for the hourglass-ers among us. I wear with flat, pretty sandals. I'd never wear heels with a maxi unless it was a glamorous evening look.

Cancookdontcook Wed 17-Jun-15 12:37:33

I haven't got my maxi out yet this year. Maybe we haven't had the weather. But I would wear it on a hot day anywhere eg shopping, barbecue, day out.

I like the shoes but too high for me. I prefer the mid heel caged sandals in the same colour (and £15 cheaper.)

netty7070 Wed 17-Jun-15 13:12:33

I wear mine to work with a slightly smart jacket/cardigan to make it look professional. The one you linked to it lovely. I'm a fairly tall pear with a good waist and they are so comfy and flattering.

Potterwolfie Wed 17-Jun-15 17:46:10

I wear maxi dresses and skirts regularly. I'm 5ft 11 and live in a hot country, so they're brilliant for keeping cool and covering up. I always wear them a denim jacket (if needed) and with flat sandals though, never heels.

Orangedandelion Wed 17-Jun-15 23:23:57

That is a very nice maxi dress OP. I would it wear it all the time. I think it's fine for work once it gets really hot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now