IPL hair removal at home

(16 Posts)
ThisOnesForYou Sun 14-Jun-15 20:08:30

Has anyone used an IPL machine(?) at home?
I'm considering getting one but don't really know where to start.
I've seen threads on here but couldn't find a recent one so any recommendations would be great!
I have olive skin and very dark hair and my priority is to remove hair on chin/neck.
Thanks in advance!

ThisOnesForYou Sun 14-Jun-15 21:08:38

Anyone?

Looserella Sun 14-Jun-15 21:22:17

Yes, I have one and it's amazing for legs, bikini line and underarms. Took a few months to see results but a year later there is minimal hair, just the odd missed one on my legs and the knees are still hairy but I just run a razor over them - perhaps it the thicker skin? I'm pale with dark hair and can't comment on its use for facial hair.

mcdog Sun 14-Jun-15 21:25:24

Which machine do you have loose?

ThisOnesForYou Sun 14-Jun-15 23:34:36

The only one I remember people discussing on here is the Lumea but the thread is a couple of years old so I'm sure things have moved on a bit now. Are there any other types worth considering?

Talisin Sun 14-Jun-15 23:47:13

Lots of threads on this recently. This is probably the longest.

Floralnomad Sun 14-Jun-15 23:53:19

I've just bought the Illuminage Touch , I've only had it a couple of weeks so can't vouch personally for it having the desired results but the reviews I read seem very positive . I must say it is incredibly easy to use and doesn't take long to do a treatment .

ThisOnesForYou Mon 15-Jun-15 06:05:11

Thanks Talisin! I thought I'd seen one but a search only brought up really old ones. I'll go and have a read. flowers

Marymaymay Mon 15-Jun-15 06:44:33

Don't don't don't use it on your face!!! I have olive skin, used it on my face and now have bad pigmentation which requires factor 50 all year round. Great for rest of body though.

Looserella Mon 15-Jun-15 07:54:18

I have a Philips Lumea, not sure which model

Floralnomad Mon 15-Jun-15 09:39:01

You can use the Touch on your face ( below eye level) and it treats all types of skin .

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 15-Jun-15 11:17:24

Mary - I always thought you should only use it on your face if you are pale with dark hair and olive skin was an absolute no no.

TheFlis12345 Mon 15-Jun-15 13:03:31

I have a Lumea and it's incredible! Properly life changing. After a few months use I now have virtually no leg hair (just the odd few which I zap as they appear) and no armpit hair at all.

AdventureBe Mon 15-Jun-15 13:16:17

How dark does hair need to be? I am very pale and blonde on my head but the hair on my upper legs is darker, but still fair, maybe mousey coloured. Would it work?

squoosh Mon 15-Jun-15 13:20:33

Oh I'm desperate to get a Lumea! Love the idea of having permanently hairless armpits.

butterfly133 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:25:38

I just bought this from QVC, 90 day money back guarantee

www.qvcuk.com/Silkn-Glide-150,000-Pulse-HPL-Hair-Removal-System.product.400733.html?sc=SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-400733

huge purchase for me, only made because of the money back guarantee. used it yesterday and it says not to use it again for 2 weeks. My skin is fair and quite sensitive but I used the full power with only a bit of redness and itchiness today - complicated by the fact that I get a lot of random redness and itchiness so may be no connection!

I'm still a bit confused about how I am meant to know which areas to treat. I used to epilate so have only patchy hair but really wanted to kill it off for good. I feel like I have spent enough of my life removing hair!! I will post an update at the end of 90 days. My main concerns is my arms - dark hair and fair skin being a nuisance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now