Badly fitting (shape) breast prosthesis after mastectomy...help.

(15 Posts)
nobodysfool Thu 11-Jun-15 14:35:29

My Mum had a mastectomy (left) last year. They are unable to rebuild her breast. She was fitted with a prosthesis,she is a 42DD, which had to be changed as it wasn't a good fit. The second visit also felt really rushed with a very small selection to choose from-only 2 different types were offered.
She left with the one that was the best and has been struggling ever since with it.
She has a very high scar.
She has bought so many different types of bras - proper post op bras and regular full cups but is still having the same problem.
The prosthesis keeps poking out of the top of the bra even when it is sat correctly in the pocket in the bra. She is short and short in the body and wondered if there were any prosthesis's that are more shorter in depth? She is reluctant to try the breast clinic again as has felt rushed each time.
Any ideas?

patterkiller Thu 11-Jun-15 14:41:39

I'm sorry I have no experience but I watched bbc news a few weeks ago and these ladies were being interviewed. They seemed so positive it's maybe worth a look. www.knittedknockers.org

nobodysfool Thu 11-Jun-15 14:43:03

Thanks Patterkiller I'll take a look .

patterkiller Thu 11-Jun-15 14:44:38

Sorry linked to the U.S. by mistake. Try this one www.knittedknockersuk.com

nobodysfool Thu 11-Jun-15 14:59:20

Thanks for the link . What a lovely bunch of ladies ! Mums looking for a heavy weighted one as she already has a softie one smile

GemmeFatale Thu 11-Jun-15 15:03:06

A bit of a drastic option but, my mum had a reduction of the remaining breast so she could have a reconstruction that matched. It might be worth looking into if this would help open up a range of better prosthetics for her.

nobodysfool Thu 11-Jun-15 15:50:00

Thanks for replying Gemmefatale. Don't think she would as she had lots of complications after and think she would be reluctant.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 11-Jun-15 15:57:03

Is she willing to buy her own prosthetic? A quick google seems to suggest there are lots and lits of online shops. Maybe rather than buying different bras she could try different prostheses.

This is the first one I looked at www.jothornton.co.uk/ourshop/cat_421596-Single-Breast-Prosthesis.html and she says she is happy for people to exchange as often as they need- I'm guessing it'd be the same for all retailers?

MrsSnow Thu 11-Jun-15 16:24:27

It sounds like the appointment didn't go well. I've just spoken to my mum who had a mastectomy a few years ago. She says that her hospital they measure and then they either give you the size or order in the size. So it could be worth going back especially as it doesn't sound as if it is doing the job.

It could be worth going for a fitting at www.nicolajane.com/?gclid=CJSpxYT5h8YCFTLLtAodiQwAOw as the staff are really lovely and do spend the time to find the right item.

nobodysfool Thu 11-Jun-15 16:52:57

Itsallgoing- It's def the prosthetic. She is more than happy to buy her own. She has looked online at lots but can't find any that are shorter so they dont keep poking out over the top slightly.

Mrssnow-It didn't go great to be honest. The fitter told her to move away from the mirror so she did'nt see herself! It was said to imply that Mum had something that was hideous. I have been trying to persuade her to go back....

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 11-Jun-15 17:06:03

Is your mum definitely wearing the right size bra? I I know from MN that many people aren't smile

nobodysfool Thu 11-Jun-15 17:30:45

I have done the bra intervention on her prior to mastectomy - impossible to do now there is only one.

weebarra Thu 11-Jun-15 17:35:49

I went to a private orthotics shop in Glasgow to get mine - I have the advantage of having had a bilateral mx, so don't have the issues your mum does. Mine are silicone Amoena ones and I like them. Think Nicola Jane do them too.

leadrightfoot Thu 11-Jun-15 20:32:17

Nicola Jane is the one to try. Make an appointment if you can get to their head quarters in chichester.

nobodysfool Sat 13-Jun-15 18:57:12

Thanks for all you advice. Mum has the booklet for Nicola Jane and is going to order some to try. Shame there isn't a branch near us that I could take her to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now